Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 05:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rutger Hauer is...

Started by Marty McFly, April 23, 2011, 06:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty McFly

Small Man Big Horse

Me too. A dvd-screener is floating around, but I've not had the time yet to watch it...

Big Jack McBastard

Lovely title, colour me intrigued.

Viero_Berlotti

Here's the trailer, it does indeed look awesome.

http://youtu.be/ssHEAOrAdCU

I love Mr Hauer, along with Micheal Ironside he's one of my favourite veteran B-movie character actors.

The trailer has been knockin' about for a while now, let's hope it trumps Machete.

madhair60

Seen it, it kind of sucks. :(

Machete was better.

uncle_rico

Are the creases deliberately part of the poster?  A neat touch, if they are.

I wonder if this will get a cinema release here?  I would rather see it with a crowd.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I know the gorelols looks great but it does kind of look really tonally uneven. Rutger's giving it the full Gran Torino/Network/Falling Down style NO MORE SHIT ANYMORE MOTHERFUCKERS emoting which is cool but HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN is way too slapsticky for all that. They needed someone with a bit of a comic touch I think.

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed it a lot, but it's probably the trashiest, most lurid and tacky throwaway movie I've seen - and I'm quite a fan of the whole Grindhouse genre. It moves at a brisk enough pace though, is suitably gory (and fairly repulsive at times) and the dialogue's very tongue in cheek - which sometimes works, but other times doesn't. Rutger pulls it off effectively and has a lot of fun with the role, but probably the best thing about it is how ridiculously OTT the main villain is, yet they manage to make it work really well.

If you're not a fan of this sort of thing you'll probably despise it, but if you are you might well like it a lot.

QuoteRutger's giving it the full Gran Torino/Network/Falling Down style NO MORE SHIT ANYMORE MOTHERFUCKERS emoting which is cool but HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN is way too slapsticky for all that. They needed someone with a bit of a comic touch I think.

Oh I don't know, I think he delights in chewing the scenery at times, and it needs a realistic central lead to ground it, considering how mental everything else is.

Big Jack McBastard

This made me laugh and then laugh again when I saw Marty McFly's handle.

madhair60

Thing is with movies like this, you might as well just watch an actual grindhouse-era trash flick.

remedial_gash

Quote from: madhair60 on May 06, 2011, 09:55:03 AM
Thing is with movies like this, you might as well just watch an actual grindhouse-era trash flick.

Like what?

I've seen some/most of that era, not that it has ever really been defined... Street Trash is probably a film that encapsulates that idea , even though it was a much later film than the presumed 70's things.

I'm just interested in what you'd call a 'grindhouse flick'.

As for 'hobo' ; I enjoyed it, it was disposable as someone above points out, but had reasonable nods/in-jokes, wasn't that Riz Ortolani's "Cannibal Holocaust" theme at the start?

If not, it was a bloody good soundalike.

Gash
x

danyulx

I watched the film The Legend of the Holy Drinker just a week or so back, with him in playing the lead.. he must have a thing for playing "bums". Great film, great performance. Two thumbs up.

Famous Mortimer

His book is apparently pretty excellent too.

Small Man Big Horse

There's a great AV Club interview with him online now: http://www.avclub.com/articles/rutger-hauer,55531/

I especially like this part:

QuoteAVC: Are there things still you would like to do that you haven't done?

RH: Why would you think that? Why? Is this like a mid-life crisis idea? Or a pension plan? It's so funny. I guess people don't know, or some people know: The profession that I have is so much fun. You've been to Sundance—how much fun do you think that is? There's nothing better for an actor than to be right there with an audience that goes berserk because of the story. You know, okay, you helped the story because you're a character in it, but I'm not the movie. That's Jason. I'm a part of it; I'm a big part of it. And it's just brilliant. If you have moments like that every five years, you can live forever on it, until you die.  So there's a ton of things that I love, and I'm doing a short music video with another director; I've been wanting to do that for a while. I'm doing three films; two are back-to-back, and the third maybe right after. It's ridiculous. [Laughs.]

If you've done what you need to do, you need to go bury yourself, because what else are you going to do? I think that that's where life stops. If I'm going to retire, I'm going to give a press conference—if I can get it together. [Laughs.]

I've read too many interviews where actors take themselves far too seriously, so it's refreshing to see someone who openly loves working in the industry.

madhair60

Quote from: remedial_gash on May 06, 2011, 01:06:27 PM
Like what?

I've seen some/most of that era, not that it has ever really been defined... Street Trash is probably a film that encapsulates that idea , even though it was a much later film than the presumed 70's things.

I'm just interested in what you'd call a 'grindhouse flick'.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure.  I think I'm making extremely broad strokes there.  Maybe something like Scum of the Earth, Fight For Your Life, or really any of the nastier, more exploitative action/horror films.  Deadly Weapons.  That sort of thing.  I just find the more authentic "nasty" movies to be more entertaining than efforts to recapture the spirit of them.

Famous Mortimer

As someone who spent a while getting hold of grimy copies of yer classic drive-in exploitation crap some time ago, virtually all of them are absolutely terrible. "Fight For Your Life" I remember we liked because a little kid gets his head stove in with a rock, something we never saw in films ever; but it's absolute wank really.

I've never been entirely sure why the attempts to make films in that tradition are all so expensive. To really go for that vibe, they need to slash the budget by 90% and get rid of the Hollywood A-listers making wacky cameos.

remedial_gash

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 09, 2011, 09:31:51 AM
As someone who spent a while getting hold of grimy copies of yer classic drive-in exploitation crap some time ago, virtually all of them are absolutely terrible. "Fight For Your Life" I remember we liked because a little kid gets his head stove in with a rock, something we never saw in films ever; but it's absolute wank really.

I've never been entirely sure why the attempts to make films in that tradition are all so expensive. To really go for that vibe, they need to slash the budget by 90% and get rid of the Hollywood A-listers making wacky cameos.

You make a very interesting and obvious point, but many of the new-wave of grimy movies go the other way. Even on a micro budget, films composed on digital video look far glossier than anything on proper film, and so suffer in their image 'quality'.

"Fight for your life" would look terrible on video, and would just look like a bunch of racist wankers acting like racist, murderous wankers on youtube or something. It's the graininess of film that gives it that 'edge'

Gash
x.

madhair60

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 09, 2011, 09:31:51 AM"Fight For Your Life" I remember we liked because a little kid gets his head stove in with a rock, something we never saw in films ever; but it's absolute wank really.

It is, but it's more interesting than "Hobo with a Shotgun", due to being a genuine product of its time.  I guess what I mean to say is that it (and others of its kind) hold more interest than knock-offs.  Homages.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on May 09, 2011, 11:01:42 PM
It is, but it's more interesting than "Hobo with a Shotgun", due to being a genuine product of its time.  I guess what I mean to say is that it (and others of its kind) hold more interest than knock-offs.  Homages.
Agreed. Ish.

Jake Thingray

This thread reminds me of a viewer's query, on the Q&A service of Teletext in the late 80's, about whether "the Russian man" in Jack Gold's rather good TV movie Escape From Sobibor was "the man from the Guinness adverts". Not just unaware of who Hauer was, but that he was an actor at all.

One film geeks' forum a few years back claimed Hauer was the new Klaus Kinski. Can't see it myself, despite a vague career similarity. As the interview linked to above shows, he seems like a much nicer person.

Serge

To be fair, even Josef Stalin was a nicer person than Klaus Kinski....