Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:09:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Some recommendations for y'all

Started by blue jammer, February 02, 2004, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Almost Yearly

Mine's not worth borrowing at the mo', rou. Bit knackered she is.

VPRO are ace. Wish we had a broadcaster with such taste and sensibilities. Their once-a-week comedy evening on TV is like, Duckman, Fry & Laurie, Bottom ... only the best.

Like that Blonde Redhead a lot. If you like that, you'll love Shrubbies: Memphis In Texas.

Dear Mr. Rou-Rou,

The new Phoenix album is so much better than the first! I've had it for about a month now and it absolutely is, I promise. There's no Too Young-sound-a-like, but for purely immediate pop, what about Everything Is Everything or I'm An Actor. It's much more coherent than United, no stupid bits (cf. Funky Squaredance), splendid production. I wonder, did they get Phillipe Zdar in to work on this one as well? If not, whoever did produce it has done a damn fine job. It sounds as clean and warm as yer French house, maybe clinical even, but that suits them. I think it's out today actually in France, get one online from fnac, I know I won't be! I'll just buy it when it's released over here.

Yours Insincerely,
The Crab (UK PR for Phoenix)

p.s. what's that blonde redhead like? i like the look of the cover but i'm unable to listen to any of the tracks where i am now.

Des Nilsen

I'd like to recommend Taxidermy by Queen Adreena. They're probably my favorite band of the last few years and Taxidermy seems totally faultless to me. It rocks very hard and has some beautiful moments too.

Katie Jane Garside is also a mind-numblingly perfect singer. I love this band and this album in particular sooooooo much.

-

Almost Yearly

Oh right, the Daisy Chainsaw lady. I might just give that a whirl. Ta, Men- Des.

mr rou-rou

Quote from: "Almost Yearly"Mine's not worth borrowing at the mo', rou. Bit knackered she is.

VPRO are ace. Wish we had a broadcaster with such taste and sensibilities. Their once-a-week comedy evening on TV is like, Duckman, Fry & Laurie, Bottom ... only the best.

Like that Blonde Redhead a lot. If you like that, you'll love Shrubbies: Memphis In Texas.

I'll try and find it, you've recommended the Shrubbies before and I couldn't find them for a listen.

If you like the Japanese front woman thing then you might (long shot) like the latest album from Deerhoof, who have toned down their antics a bit

I'm just uploading some tracks for perusal now so be sure and pop back.

1. Deerhoof - Gigadance
2. Deerhoof - Milking
3. Deerhoof - Milk Man

I hear you Mr Crab but no... you are wrong :) 'United' has far more charm than 'Alphabetical' and Funkysquaredance is a classic, when it breaks at the end it's quite beautiful.

Phoenix are supporting Scissor Sisters on Sunday night in Manchester, that surprised me, especially as I've got tickets to see them headlining their own gig on the 25th May, they better be good or I'm going to fling my excrement at them.

Lumiere

I recommend anything by Opeth (for those wanting something mellow, check out damnation). Iron Maiden, Mars Volta, Tool, Primus, it's all good.

Neil

http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/album.cgi?ALBUMID=987116&AMGLENGTH=full#review

This is an awesome compilation, highly reccomended, look for Midwest Blues on Soulseek.  Can anyone recommend more good Chicago Blues?!

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "Lumiere"Primus,

Ah yes, I like a bit of Primus.
I think I like them because they're all technically fantastic players, but they don't play overly dull 'muso-rock', (if indeed such a thing would get them anywhere at all).

Yup, great choices in general (though ah dunt do Iron Maiden, mate).

If I can make a recommendation again I'll say Les Claypool's (Flying) Frog Brigade Live Frogs 2 album - it's a complete live performance of Pink Floyd's Animals, and it's mighty purdy.

-

Lumiere

I just might check that out. I get what you mean about Primus. Primus' music is weird and a lot of fun, but they're not average musicians; they're all pretty awesome (especially Claypool's bass). Now, a band that are pretty good with their instruments and make muso-rock (but it's not dull) are Radiohead.

axel

Lumiere

I'd also recommend a band called 'CKY', especially Volume 1 by them. They make some great rock music that isn't terribly challenging.

mr rou-rou

more Blonde Redhead,

realplayer streaming video of a session they did for Morning becomes eclectic, 37 mins

they are supposed to have done a video for equus but I'm buggered if I can find it

in fact, you might like to see some of the other streaming videos available from Morning becomes eclectic to see more, go to the bottom, click more and then search it as blank fields and it will display a long page, there's all sorts in there,

Lumiere

Schlippy

Quote from: "Lumiere"TOOL...OPETH...
Cheers for that, squire, was about to post asking for a starting point. Saw your

Quote from: "Lumiere"Almost any line by Tool
in the 'single lines' thread, and trotted over to here to check it out.

And, bugger me, you appear to be bang on the money. Not the chirpiest of chappies, but hey. It's rare to find lyrics that stand in their own right (and I don't think I've ever heard a note of Tool).

mr rou-rou

monster list from BBC Collective

loads of mixes and interesting texts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/C977

mr rou-rou

Fans of David Holmes' funky soundtrack style might enjoy this

the second outing from Cherrystones (who's a DJ from Twisted Nerve records)

I thought the first LP was top 'Cherrystone rocks'

and now you have this one 'Cherrystone - hidden charms'

http://www.juno.co.uk/IP/IF142307-01.htm

www.juno.co.uk 's a top site by the way

mr rou-rou

Free the Bees anyone, new album from the Bees

http://www.thebees.info/ (under construction)

a nice album to just plop down in front of the computer and bumble around.

see what I did there :)

NattyDread

Rou, have you heard the 'Dusty Fingers' compilations? If not, I reckon they might be up your street if you like that Cherrystones stuff. They're up to vol.11 now but I've not found that one yet.

mr rou-rou

nice one Natty, never heard of those, I've just been scanning through artist names and volumes 1 - 10 are available from the usual places so I've cued up vol 1 and vol 10 to have a listen :) ta

NattyDread

That Bees lot aren't too bad. Very authentically old sounding. The production and some of the tunes would fit right in with a lot of the English psychedelia volume of the 'Nuggets' box set. Put me in mind of 'The Stairs' a little too. Anyone remember that bunch?

mr rou-rou

it took me about four listens before I got a bee in my bonnet, when it started and I refamiliarised myself with their voices I was thinking of the Beeta Band but it soon went when as you rightly say, the 'authentic oldness' kicked in.

I was also worried it was going to be a bit too Merseybeat and lumped in with the nautical shenanigans of the Coral and their gang of imitators, harmless but youthful, but this has more in common with the Animals, the Doors, Janis Joplin, Van Morrison and the Kinks to name but a few nice middle of the road acts me and my dad could enjoy.

I've got three of those Dusty Fingers compilations now ;)

Rubbish Monkey

Couple of new uns not long out (came out monday maybe?)

RJD2 - "Since We Last Spoke"

Mclusky - "The Difference Between Me and You is That I'm Not On Fire"

I knew RJ had a new one out in May as I downloaded the promo from soulseek ages ago and had been looking forward to it ever since. And its a great follow up to "Deadringer" as you'd expect.

Didn't know Mclusky had a new one out tho, and noticed it on my RJD2 purchase today. I like Mclusky I do. Just giving it me first listen - some nice stuff as always. Don't seem that long since the last one... not that i'm complainin

mr rou-rou

I've got both of those, I prefer the Mclusky one, (they can't do it live though in my opinion - oh the agony of witnessing them live)

As it happens I'm listening to it right now before 5aside, perhaps to angry up the blood.

RJD2 did nothing for me on first listen other than make me wonder if I had grabbed the right album and not some renamed shenanigans by some other artist.

That's hardly a fair review so it will need another airing.

petercussing

I got an album by some guys called Automoto that i'd never heard of, which is really good. Apparently they are a live hip hop band from New Yawk and are much in the vain of the anticon stuff, slightly.Its all nice and that
And i got a good new Lex records 12" by lazarus jackson, which is really good, plus nice instruments for me to scratch over. Ooo and the new Sixtoo album, which is nice anticon beat type stuff. And the new Fingathing album, less scratching now but equally nice beats.
That's it.

Really.

chand

The new RJD2 is indeed fantastic, it's a lot less DJ Shadow than 'Deadringer' and more...RJD2. It's got a bit of everything.

Recent albums I'd recommend:

Madvillain - 'Madvillainy' (Stones Throw)
I think if there's a better hip-hop album this year it will have been an awesome year. Tracks average two minutes, no fucking about, just some fucking sublime Madlib beats for MF Doom to throw his lyrical weight behind. Even better than I expected their collaboration to be.

Amp Fiddler - 'Waltz Of A Ghetto Fly' (Genuine/PIAS)
Some real phat Detroit soul, you want this in your car stereo or playing at your barbecue when you're relaxing this summer.

Mono - 'Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined' (Rykodisc)
More of what Mono do best, which is essentially making very pretty sounds with guitars in an Explosions In The Sky kinda style.

Faust vs. Dälek - 'Derbe Respect, Alder' (Klangbad/Staubgold)
Because how often do you get to hear fucking ancient Krautrock bands teaming up with contemporary hip-hop crews and making a dark old racket?

The Gift Of Gab - 'Fourth Dimensional Rocketships Going Up' (Quannum)
Because it's hip-hop made from sheer joy the same way 'Blazing Arrow' was, and while it's probably not destined for classic status in quite the same way, it brought a smile to my face and reminded me just how good an MC Gab can be.

!!! - 'Louden Up Now' (Warp)
Probably destined for poseur style mag fame and a good old NME cocksucking, but really fucking good all the same.

Telefon Tel Aviv - 'Map Of What Is Effortless' (Hefty)
Not quite sure what genre this is, kind of vaguely orchestral chilled dance music with a bit of singing. I have a feeling this is very deeply uncool somehow, but fuck it, it's a lovely listen.

some more:
Ghost - 'Hypnotic Underworld'
Hu Vibrational - 'Beautiful: Boonghee Music 2'
dDamage - 'Radio Ape'
Billy Mahonie - 'Dust'
man'sbestfriend - 'The New Human Is Illegal'
Sunburned Hand Of The Man - 'Rare Wood'
Noxagt - 'The Iron Point'
Automato - 'Automato'
Why Sheep? - 'The Myth And I'
Josh Martinez - 'Buck Up Princess'
Devendra Banhart - 'Rejoicing In The Hands'
Mclusky - 'The Difference Between Me And You Is That I'm Not On Fire'
Headset - 'Spacesettings'
Lucien-N-Luciano - 'Blind Behaviour'
edIT - 'Crying Over Pros For No Reason'
Prince Po - 'The Slickness'
Kinski - 'Don't Climb On And Take The Holy Water'
Slicker - 'We All Have A Plan'
cLOUDDEAD - 'Ten'
DJ Signify - 'Sleep No More'
Motohiro Nakashima - 'And I Went To Sleep'
The Ramm:Ell:Zee - 'Bi-Conicals Of The Ramm:Ell:Zee'
Shalabi Effect - 'Pink Abyss'

petercussing

I thought the Victor Vaugh album was better than the Madvillan one. Oddly as well i seemed to have a track from that album about two yeas ago and was confused to were it had come from until the album came out, and some guy in Amsterdam played my mate all of MF Doom and his related charecters (monster island czars, vic vaugh, etc) albums that have come out about a year ago. Do we get his albums super late or what?!

Has anyone heard the new Honky Talkin Blues album by Buck 65, cos its supposed to be out but ive not seem it anywhere. Ive got the 463 10" though which is aight.

chand

Quote from: "petercussing"I thought the Victor Vaugh album was better than the Madvillan one. Oddly as well i seemed to have a track from that album about two yeas ago and was confused to were it had come from until the album came out, and some guy in Amsterdam played my mate all of MF Doom and his related charecters (monster island czars, vic vaugh, etc) albums that have come out about a year ago. Do we get his albums super late or what?!

The Viktor Vaughn album is pretty solid, but for me Madvillainy just has more standout moments, because it's not such a grab-bag of producers, and also it seems that on Madvillainy Doom puts a bit more variety in his flow. But they're both great, ditto the King Geedorah album which essentially pulls off the same cool trick for 40-odd minutes and gets away with it through sheer charm. I think the Geedorah and V Vaughn albums were more successful as concepts and stylistic works, but Madvillain for me wins as a straight-up, expertly-made hip-hop album from two guys on top of their respective games. And it has the nice touch of having Doom as Vaughn apparently complaining about his girl cheating on him with his alter-ego of Doom as Metal Face. Classy!

The Buck 65 CD of which you speak has been out a good couple of months now, and very good it is too, strikes quite a good balance between hip-hop and, well, country.

yeah definately check out the Mclusky new 'un*.  It is amazing.

and also the recently released Pixies DVD.   Shows what a truely amazing band they were live.  And the "pop" videos are real inspirational.

also Shellac's 1000 Hurts.

[there is one man connecting these three, if you can spot it.]

(*'The Difference Between Me And You Is That I'm Not On Fire')

Rubbish Monkey

ahhh theres some live Pixies (if yer interested) stuff in the link i posted in the cool links thread :

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"an MP3 download blog thingy.. http://klepshimi.blogspot.com/ some nice stuff including 2 Many DJs - As Heard On Radio Soulwax Part 9 and some live Pixies stuff from earlier in the year. Oh yeah, they are only there for a limited time before they change

From that site im currently enjoying The Kleptones - Yoshimi Battles The Hip Hop Robots which is a bunch of hip hop remixed. Purty good it is too!

Craig Armstrong  "Piano Works"
Quotean exquisite collection of piano pieces, recorded last year in Paris, a city Craig regards as his artistic muse It's a collection of original works, including piano versions of "Satine's Theme" from Moulin Rouge, "Morning Breaks" from Romeo & Juliet and "Glasgow Love Theme" from Love Actually, as well as much loved Massive Attack colaboration tracks and piano arrangements from his two solo albums.

and very nice it is too!!! Some samples of each track here

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"
[there is one man connecting these three, if you can spot it.

That wouldn't be Mr Steve Albini would it? He does aload of great stuff. The Big Black and Rapeman CDs weren't bad.....ah as well as that Shellac one mentioned.

mr rou-rou

looksee what's floating around, soon for a release

Kings Of Convenience - Riot On An Empty Street

, for the gentler whore out there who might enjoy a chunky knit sweater and unwrapping their packed lunch on peeling seaside bench.

There was a brief article with them in the Guardian, it didn't really say much but I liked their thinking behind the title, meaning that you can't tell what's going on in peoples heads so if you sit watching a person they might be cogitating over a shopping list or perhaps planning to murder their boss or how to leave a longtime lover