Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Some recommendations for y'all

Started by blue jammer, February 02, 2004, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peet

Ooh yes, I just *ahem* bought this a week or two ago, very pleasant, Leslie Feist sings on a couple of songs. Will probably buy it when it's out, I hear cardigans are pricey in Norway.

edit: know how (5.5mb)

Dr David V

I've been told Labradford are rather good, but I've only heard P from Blue Jam's Doc Phone sketch. Can anyone recommend a good album to start off with by them? Cheers.

mr rou-rou

that's spooky Peet old boy, I was just uploading 'Know How' and 'the build up'

I like this album, phew, I thought their first one was 50% filler with a couple of cracking songs that made it on to nearly every mix tape I did all year, this one strikes me as a more consistent affair.

Did you know Feist is part of the transient Broken Social Scene collective, you might enjoy some of their stuff if you haven't had a dabble already.

blue jammer

Best one on it I thought was 'Love Is No Big Truth' (track 7)

Lovely stuff.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Can anyone recommend me some Brothomstates? I loved that sprite advert song (forgotten its name) but I downloaded the album it was from and it was just like random noises that were quite vomit producing if you ask me. Any specific songs I should check out?
While I'm here, download Minuit  by Ernest Ranglin (vocal by Baaba Maal), it's lovely.

re; Brothomstates, listen to Mdrmx, which is track 6 off the Claro album. Its fucking incredible. Personally I thought Qtio was their best work.

peet

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"that's spooky Peet old boy, I was just uploading 'Know How' and 'the build up'

I like this album, phew, I thought their first one was 50% filler with a couple of cracking songs that made it on to nearly every mix tape I did all year, this one strikes me as a more consistent affair.

Did you know Feist is part of the transient Broken Social Scene collective, you might enjoy some of their stuff if you haven't had a dabble already.
Heh, great minds and all that *nudge nudge wink secrethandshake*
It's a nice album, I just love the first one though, not a single track i don't like. It got 5 out of 10 on Pitchfork, fucking philistines.

Here's a page with some live KoC action plus a couple of their music vids from the last album.

mr rou-rou

that's twice now other people have referred me to my favourite online music site I've been raving on for a good while, finally the word is out, I'd like to take full credit for all of your life's successes from this day forward.

edit: Feist is playing London, Bush Hall,  Thursday 01/07/2004 if anyone is interested.

mr rou-rou

little beauty

NY city punk funk :)

!!! (aka chkchkchk) in streaming flash Louden up now!

I think they might have a track name or two mixed up but then again it's more likely it's me

Rubbish Monkey

!!! is good me likey long time well for now.

Lamb (big fanboy me) has best kept secrets out today (monday) best of out. limited edition with dvd of videos.

me love lamb. (even though they are as bigger advert whores as mr moby)

Mmmmmm.

one of few bands left i have stalker type lovings for*.

anyway, the cd has nice sleeve notes in a dvd directors commentary styleeeeee about each song and how both members like/dislike the song.

i love lou.

mmmmm.

*it may be the feelings and experiences attached is to why i love em

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"ahhh theres some live Pixies (if yer interested) stuff in the link i posted in the cool links thread
[/size]

Excellent!  That is great.  Thanks for that.  I'm quite excited about hearing these as they're quite recent performances - I'm keen to hear how they are now.  Apparently they've "still got it".

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"That wouldn't be Mr Steve Albini would it?

Yep. that is he.

mr rou-rou

Well the Morning becomes Eclectic studio clip for Sonic Youth is now online :)

Sonic Youth playing songs from their new LP 'Sonic Nurse' (realplayer, 39:10 mins)

I have nothing really to say other than Youth fans should grab a listen to the album, it's pretty sweet.

El Unicornio, mang

Rasputina

Saw these live the other day supporting the Legendary Pink Dots. Odd little three piece playing cello music through all kinds of distortion effects and whatnot with rock drums.
Check the album 'Thanks For The Ether'

Some of it, like the track 'Kate Moss' wouldn't sound out of place on Blue Jam

http://www.rasputina.com/

blue jammer

That superstar DJ 'Sasha' has a new mix out, part of the global underground series, his new release 'Involver' is full of reworkings of the following tracks.

01. Talk Amongst Yourselves-Grand National
02. Dorset Perception-Shpongle
03. These Days-Petter
04. What Are You To Me?-UNKLE
05. Smile-Youngsters
06. Belong-Spooky
07. In A State-UNKLE
08. Burma-Lostep
09. Watching Cars Go By-Felix Da Housecat
10. On My Own-Ulrich Schnauss

Some old some new, some borrowed and some cool ;)

Play.com have this, and it's a limited edition for £9.99, comes in a very odd plastic (flimsy) holder, with oddly shaped pictures - you'll see what I mean if you buy it!

Good to see Sasha working with Charlie May (one of the best under-rated producers)

Also out soon are:

The Egg - Forwards, mostly laidback, vocal stylee seems to be very Erland'ish. More ambient than their previous two albums.

Thievery Corporation - Outernational Sound - Definitely one of my favourite acts of the last 5-10 years, this is pretty much the sort of set you'd hear them play in a club if they were behind the 1's and 2's, jazz, breaks, funk etc etc. Every tracks a winner.

I'm absolutely loving the new Ghostface (Killah) L.P. The Pretty Toney.

Total departure from the Wu sound, loads of Stax/Motown and funk samples. For me, this guy's the only one still doing it out of the Wu Tang.

It's not groundbreaking, production-wise, but it's a bit more raw than most of what's going on at the moment, and definitely more fun than most underground hip-hop I've heard recently. Ghost's got it.

Automato is produced by The DFA, uber-dons of cool, but they still can't stop that LP sounding like a piece of shit.

mr rou-rou

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"looksee what's floating around, soon for a release

Kings Of Convenience - Riot On An Empty Street

, for the gentler whore out there who might enjoy a chunky knit sweater and unwrapping their packed lunch on peeling seaside bench.

There was a brief article with them in the Guardian, it didn't really say much but I liked their thinking behind the title, meaning that you can't tell what's going on in peoples heads so if you sit watching a person they might be cogitating over a shopping list or perhaps planning to murder their boss or how to leave a longtime lover

click to listen to the album in streaming flash - courtesy of the Dutch

axel

Just like to recommend the Organ singles club:
http://www.organart.demon.co.uk/singlesclub.htm
£15 for 12 singles over the next year (plus lots of bonus CDs). Lots of first recordings from great new bands. Would recommend them to anyone, but especially lovers of Cardiacs-type stuff.

mr rou-rou

stream baby stream

The Bees - Free the Bees

It's already been recommended earlier on, but this is a chance to listen to it and make up your own mind

- - - - - -

edit: this might bore you to death in a Cafe Del Mar/trendy-cafe-instant-ambience kind of way, but if you like the likes of Thievery Corporation/St Germain/Gotan Project then you might enjoy this fella's album 'Federico Aubele - Gran Hotel Buenos Aires'

nice and dubby with bright guitar, I can only describe it as compressed brass, Spanish female vocals cooing over Latin percussion.

if I was on a roof top bar in Barcelona with candlelit tables and a Cuba Libre in my hands I wouldn't be too upset if this was playing in the background.

Samples here

p.s I know I'm mixing up my continents but I'm tre cosmo don't'y'know?

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"I'm absolutely loving the new Ghostface (Killah) L.P. The Pretty Toney.

Seconded.  There is another album's worth of material called The Pretty Toney Lost Tracks.  These songs couldn't be commercially released because he couldn't clear the samples, and when you hear them it's not surprising.  He's nicked from some big names, often just rapping over the original record without looping or sampling or anything.  For example 'My Guitar' samples 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'New Splash' is just Dawn Penn's 'No No No' with Ghostface shouting over the top (which makes for a great track by the way).

Many of the 'Lost Tracks' are better than those on the official album, and they can be easily found again on Soulseek etc.

NattyDread

Big ol' bump.

Sympathizers - Jolly Rancher (Right Click Save As)

My girlfriend's mate's band. Thought some people here might like it. Especially those partial to a bit of Pavement and stuff of that ilk :-)