Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:28:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeff Buckley - Grace Legacy Edition..

Started by roosta, May 30, 2004, 12:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roosta

http://www.jeffbuckley.com/news.asp?id=56

It's a very odd feeling to see all your favourite records slowly being re-released as "Legacy Editions".. but hopefully this'll be as good as the bumper version of Live at Sin-e they put out recently because that was swell. Seems like an excercise in futility to bother remastering the actual album, though.

QuoteJEFF BUCKLEY'S GRACE –

ONE OF THE MOST SOULFUL AND

CRITICALLY-LAUDED ALBUMS OF THE '90s

GRACE EARNS PLACE ON ROLLING STONE'S LIST OF

"THE 500 GREATEST ALBUMS" AND JEFF BUCKLEY INCLUDED ON MOJO MAGAZINE'S LIST OF

"THE GREATEST VOCALISTS OF ALL TIME"

GRACE: LEGACY EDITION COMMEMORATES

10th ANNIVERSARY OF LANDMARK ALBUM RELEASE

SPECIAL 3-DISC DELUXE PACKAGE CONTAINS 2 CDs AND A DVD

Disc one: Original album newly remastered by George Marino
Disc two: 13 non-album rarities and collectors items,
including 8 previously unreleased studio and live performances

Disc three: DVD with all four video clips, archival studio recording footage, interviews, live performances, and more

All of the material on disc two (except "I Want Someone Badly," recorded in 1996) was either recorded in preparation for the Grace sessions, or immediately after  when Jeff and his band began touring to support the album's release

Arrives in stores August 23rd on Columbia Records

A debut album of almost unbearably exquisite beauty and soaring emotion will be the subject of GRACE: LEGACY EDITION, as the 10th anniversary of the release of  Jeff Buckley's first Columbia album (on August 23, 1994) will be commemorated with a special three-disc digi-pak set.  Comprised of the complete original 10-song album on disc one, a 13-song collection of previously unreleased material, promotional rarities, solo tracks, and live performances on disc two, and a multi-faceted, newly-produced DVD on disc three – the package will arrive in stores August 23rd on Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music.

Jeff Buckley's too-brief association with Columbia Records – from the summer of 1993 (when he was not yet 26 years old) up to the time of his tragic death in the spring of 1997 – left an indelible impression on the fans whose hearts he touched in America, Europe, Australia, and the Far East.  He also left behind many fans among his musical brethren, and artists such as Radiohead, Coldplay, Starsailor and Duncan Sheik have all acknowledged Jeff's influence on their work.  Though Grace was the only full-length album actually issued during his lifetime, the pace of his recording and the prolific nature of his songwriting left behind many treasures over those years.  The album made its way onto many a fan and critic's list as not only one of the top albums of 1994, but one of the decade's most important recordings as well.  To date, it has sold over 2 million copies worldwide, and is certified Gold in the U.S.

GRACE: LEGACY EDITION will present an extensive, in-depth study of that early period of Jeff Buckley's Columbia tenure, with audio, video and film materials that pre-date the album and immediately follow it.  The project was produced for reissue by Steve Berkowitz of Legacy Recordings A&R, Mary Guibert (Jeff's mother, the executor of his estate, who has been closely involved in the various posthumous releases since 1998), and Jerry Rappaport (who has produced for reissue numerous Legacy blues, jazz, reggae, Latin, and rock releases, including last year's Jeff Buckley Live At Sin-E: Legacy Edition).  Liner notes will be written by Jeff Buckley aficionado and Uncut magazine contributing editor David Peschek.

Disc one of GRACE: LEGACY EDITION marks the first digitally remastered version of the original album since its initial release ten years ago.  The remastering was engineered by legendary veteran George Marino, known for his work on the recent Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won, and more than a thousand other albums since the early '70s.  The original Grace album was produced, engineered and mixed by Andy Wallace, and retains its original sequence: 1. Mojo Pin • 2. Grace • 3. Last Goodbye • 4. Lilac Wine • 5. So Real • 6. Hallelujah • 7. Lover, You Should've Come Over • 8. Corpus Christi Carol • 9. Eternal Life • 10. Dream Brother.  (All compositions written or co-written by Jeff Buckley, except "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen; "Corpus Christi Carol" by Sir Benjamin Britten; and "Lilac Wine" by J. Shelton.)

Disc two is slated to contain 13 tracks from a number of sources, including Bearsville Studios in Woodstock, New York, where the principal sessions for the album took place.  As of this writing, the tracks comprise:

• 1. "Forget Her" – previously unreleased, long-rumored track, originally recorded and mixed by Andy Wallace and Jeff for the first album, but replaced by Jeff with "So Real";

• 2.  "Dream Brother" – previously unreleased version that features alternate lyrics;

• 3.  "Lost Highway" – a Hank Williams standard, and the first of five solo tracks recorded at Bearsville during the original recording sessions for Grace that also include...

• 4.  "Alligator Wine" – previously unreleased, from Screamin' Jay Hawkins;

• 5.  "Mama, You Been On My Mind" – previously unreleased, from Bob Dylan;

• 6.  Blues Medley (on acoustic guitar) – previously unreleased: "Parchman Farm Blues" from Bukka White c/w "Preachin' Blues" from either Robert Johnson, Son House, or Charley Patton;

• 7.  "The Other Woman" – previously unreleased, from Nina Simone, written by Simone and Jesse Mae Robinson;

• 8.  "Kanga-Roo" from Alex Chilton & Big Star – promotion-only rarity from Peyote Radio Theatre EP;

• 9.  "I Want Someone Badly" with Shudder To Think, out-of-print rarity from Epic Records First Love, Last Rites movie soundtrack;

• 10.  "Eternal Life" – 'road version,' first of two previously unreleased promotion-only rarities from Columbia Records Radio Hour syndicated radio program, also including...

• 11.  "Kick Out the Jams" – from MC5;

• 12.  "Dream Brother" (Nag Champa mix) – promotion-only rarity from Peyote Radio Theatre EP;

• 13. "Strawberry Street" –  previously unreleased, originally written in 1988, and appears here in a rehearsal recording from the Knitting Factory, NY, in May of 1993, with an early try-out combo of bassist Tom Goodkind (of The Washington Squares) and drummer John McNally.

Disc three of GRACE: LEGACY EDITION is a full-length DVD whose content is still being coordinated by independent producer/director Ernie Fritz as of this writing.  There will be several elements, beginning with all four promotional videos that were produced for songs on the Grace album: "Last Goodbye," "So Real," "Grace," and "Eternal Life" (which was a live performance in Chicago).

Fritz was assigned to cover the Bearsville Studios sessions back in 1994, and plans call for the DVD to include both video and real film footage, some of which was later used in Columbia's EPK (electronic press kit) to promote and publicize the album.  This may include in-studio takes of "Grace" and "Hallelujah" from the EPK; another sequence where Jeff scores the string section; and an interview with him.  There will be new interviews with the original album's producers, Jeff's bandmates, and music industry insiders discussing Jeff's work.

The life of Jeff Buckley, who was born in Anaheim, California, on November 17, 1966, came to an untimely end on May 29, 1997, when he died in a swimming mishap by the banks of the Wolf River Marina (a tributary of the Mississippi River) during a recording stint in Memphis.  Posthumous Columbia releases began the following year with the double-CD Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk, which included the bulk of the Memphis sessions, and received a Grammy nomination for "Best Male Rock Vocal."  In 2000, Columbia issued Mystery White Boy – Live '95-'96, which consisted of DAT recordings from the touring that came after the release of Grace.

In 2001, Sony Music International released Live at L'Olympia (available only as an import in the U.S.), culled from soundboard cassette recordings of his two-night stand at the famed Paris theatre in July 1995.

In November 2002, Columbia issued The Grace EPs, which collected the five most sought-after of those discs, which were released from 1994 to '96 (commercially or for promotional use) in various foreign territories of Sony Music.  The EPs – Peyote Radio Theatre, Last Goodbye, So Real (aka Live At Nighttown), Live From the Bataclan, and The Grace EP – were collected into one slipcase package with detailed discographical annotations.  Liner notes were written by Mary Guibert, and insightful recollections of key tracks and live performances were also provided by original band members Michael Tighe (guitar), Mick Grondahl (bass), and Matt Johnson (drums).

In July 2003, the Legacy Editions Series was launched with three specially designed expanded edition packages: 1968's Sweetheart Of The Rodeo by the Byrds (a double-CD), 1978's Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live (also a double-CD) – and Jeff Buckley Live At Sin-É, a two and a half hour (plus!) tour de force, culled from recordings of his solo gigs at the Lower East Side coffee-house in July-August 1993.  The package included 34 songs on two CDs, plus a DVD with exclusive interview footage and performances of three songs at Sin-É.

NobodyGetsOutAlive

Oh, it's just annoying though. I have most of the extra tracks on mp3 so I can't imagine I'll bother with it really although might consider shelling out if the dvd proves to be worth it (I've yet to see a dvd released as an extra to an album which is actually any good - the Sin-é one was godawful, as was the Morrissey one). "I Want Someone Badly" and "Forget Her" are two incredible songs though (the former is possibly his best track in my opinion) amd should be heard by all,

This looks good but I already own Grace. Not sure if I want to buy the same album again just for those extra tracks.

Jet Set Willy

I think I've lost the copy of Grace that I had so maybe I will get this.

It's rather annoying because I still have the CD case and don't know what to do with it!

chand

Jeff Buckley's posthumous output has made Tupac look like a slacker, in comparison to how much he actually released when alive.

I dunno, is there really any point? We've had a couple of live albums, the frustrating 'Sketches...', the DVD, re-releases of all the EPs as a box-set, 'Songs To No-One', various versions of EPs and so on. I think it's probably time to let it go. Yes, he was prodigiously talented and he made one very good album, but the more releases we have and the more I see 'Grace' canonised as a legendary work, the more I think 'Woah, hang on, bits of Grace really drag, it wasn't THAT good', and I'm starting to get very Buckley-weary. And I speak as someone who has a bunch of his CDs and think he's great.

dan dirty ape

'Grace' is still the album I've tried the hardest to get into but just can't.  It's one of my best mates' favourite albums, and listening to her enthuse about it  I really, really wanted to love it. 'Hallelujah' is beautiful, and he was clearly a gifted singer, but  there's something too pompous about that album for me to ever really warm to it.  He sounds a bit too in awe of what he can do with his range at the expense of any direct connection with the listener to me.  After repeated efforts, I've chalked 'Grace' (never investigated any of his other stuff) down to something I'll never really appreciate. Some of his old man's stuff's great though.

Grace is one of those albums that the first time you hear it, it's stunning, one of the best things you've ever heard, but after repeated listens, yeah, it certainly doesn't seem as good.

QuoteWe've had a couple of live albums, the frustrating 'Sketches...'

See, I think the live albums are Buckley at his best. Olympia is fucking incredible. And I've always said that Sketches is ten thousand times better than Grace (yes, even the second CD).

But I agree that they should stop putting out shit. Songs To No-One was godawful, and apparently Jeff himself never wanted those recordings to be released. The new Sine was quality though.

chand

Quote from: "Ghost of Troubled Joe"And I've always said that Sketches is ten thousand times better than Grace (yes, even the second CD).

I think there's a good album buried somewhere in 'Sketches...', but there's far too much pissing around and stuff which was never supposed to be released and it ends up feeling like what it is, a collection of random unreleased stuff. The high points on there are great though.

Key

QuoteAnd I've always said that Sketches is ten thousand times better than Grace (yes, even the second CD).

I'd have to agree with you. As great as Grace is, My Sweetheart The Drunk sheds any false sentiment and is packed full of great sunny pop songs. I havent heard anyone else able to write something in the same style of Witches Rave, a sort of skewed awkward but really happy song.

Yep, Sketches is full of magnificence. I love the second CD though, all the home demos stuff..."Haven't You Heard" is one of JB's best rockers, "I Know We Could Be So Happy Baby" is his best sad love song, and "Gunshot Glitter" is astounding considering it was only done on a tape recorder, with Jeff tapping the microphone to get a primitive drum sound. The second disc is probably my favourite of all Buckley's work, it's raw and he always sounded better raw than produced up to the eyeballs.