Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

God Games

Started by Up T Bloody Tree, May 09, 2011, 10:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

And I promise I'll write a post about why Mickey Mouse in the Castle of Illusion is the best game ever and all of you are shit shitters who like and play shit.  And Dwarf Fortress is for prannies.  But I'm too busy making a 2D platform/shooting game where the girls from Hidamari Sketch take on the roles of Mega Man X characters.

Still Not George

Quote from: madhair60 on July 27, 2011, 09:13:37 PMBut I'm too busy making a 2D platform/shooting game where the girls from Hidamari Sketch take on the roles of Mega Man X characters.
I DEMAND A VIDEO IMMEDIATELY

madhair60

Quote from: Still Not George on July 27, 2011, 09:28:30 PM
I DEMAND A VIDEO IMMEDIATELY

Video?  Nah, not that far along.  Patience though.

Aaaaand back to Molyneux wanking.

Still Not George

madhair60

small_world

Do me a good Settlers or Theme Park for the HTC desire... And I'll... I'll... Pay you small money. Big love.

I accept the terms of the

Don't worry, I'm sure you can play Farmville and other quality Zynga games on your advertisement delivery device.

Still Not George

Quote from: small_world on July 27, 2011, 11:21:00 PM
Do me a good Settlers or Theme Park for the HTC desire... And I'll... I'll... Pay you small money. Big love.

Never doing Android again. Not remotely worth the effort. But I'm sure some half-assed bedroomer will be along any minute to provide you with a shallow piece of crap that people will complain about spending 50p on.

small_world

Ah right. I see.
Yeah, I wasn't really sure what was going on there. So Android users are the proverbial... Jew?

I suppose that's right for me, I haven't bought a game for my phone. I have downloaded the free trials of a few, but I spend 0 hours playing games on my phone in a week.
When I first got it, I played a bit, but now, I don't associate it with gaming.
I have paid for that swifkey thing. And might pay for other apps if I really like them.

Zero Gravitas

Was it something other than that boardgame conversion you did for 'droid sng?

If it was Words With Friends I'll stab you for doing such a shitty job. Straight up stabs.

I've converted to Android for a contract job and it was predictably a big waste of the company's time.

Still Not George

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 28, 2011, 09:12:50 PM
Was it something other than that boardgame conversion you did for 'droid sng?
Yeah. Even the free version didn't shift, because it's completely impossible to actually get anywhere on Android Market, constantly spammed with shite as it is. Any release vanishes from Just Released within 10 minutes, knocked off by 3 identical wordsearches, 15 games that use well-known names or titles without the rights (and are usually just screensavers or some such shit) and never ever get removed, and at least 20 identical match-3 games. Given we spent a solid month developing that thing (including the bluetooth and wireless multiplayer in the full version) we were more than a little pissed off.

We did a couple of pieces of throwaway shit for the 'droid afterwards, but they were pretty much just us taking the piss by that point. One was my partner pissing around with the Contacts API, and the other was essentially a phone version of hasthelhcdestroyedtheworldyet - a brass plate with a question and a big red button that clears when pressed to reveal the word "no". The free version of that piece of crap has been downloaded more times than the aforementioned actual game has.

Without quality control, downloadable services are a complete and utter waste of time for 99.9% of the developers on them, and only those with serious marketing budgets can break through. See also: XBLIG (except on there, being best mates with an influential blogger or related to an Xbox journo can also help).

I know some people who have had some success with ports of Flash games that are advertised from within the Flash games. But even then, with millions of ad placements, the money generated is weak.

mcbpete

Quote from: Still Not George on July 29, 2011, 12:52:30 AM
Yeah. Even the free version didn't shift, because it's completely impossible to actually get anywhere on Android Market, constantly spammed with shite as it is. Any release vanishes from Just Released within 10 minutes, knocked off by 3 identical wordsearches, 15 games that use well-known names or titles without the rights (and are usually just screensavers or some such shit) and never ever get removed, and at least 20 identical match-3 games. Given we spent a solid month developing that thing (including the bluetooth and wireless multiplayer in the full version) we were more than a little pissed off.
Do you think you'll reassess designing things for the Android market with the release of the new style, erm, Market ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pbo-d62ivY

Still Not George

Quote from: mcbpete on July 29, 2011, 05:06:34 PM
Do you think you'll reassess designing things for the Android market with the release of the new style, erm, Market ? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pbo-d62ivY

Well, tbh most of my stuff is automatically available for Android anyway because I've been using ProtonSDK. iPhone and Mac, too. Who knows, maybe the new Market will make it worth the bother, maybe it won't.

rudi

SNG: why doesn't the link to your site work? HMMMMMM???

Big Jack McBastard

Subverting and editing the Sims with the community tools that are out there can make some fantastically wrong[nb]great[/nb] things happen when you start to hit a wall on stuff to do.

I'd tell you what's going on in my current house, but you'd all just look at me weird... Even I'm looking at me weird after making it.

HappyTree

Quote from: turnstyle on July 27, 2011, 09:17:29 AM
new one out for xbox n pc called from dust it looks well good lol

Yo blud, I is done like played the demo innit, well crucial. But thanks be to Jah that demo Xbox is there, know wot ah mean. Cuz really I like to be like creative and everything, spending my time to unwind and chill, get out of the rat race. All was good in the hood with the sand building and water and shit, and the native voices add the tribe feeling to the max.

But I is was well unchuffed by the third level with the tsunami. Whoah there nigga, where is that stopwatch coming from. That ain't no way to treat the Staines posse, ya dig? I wanted to make my land nice and the time ran out, every brother got well drowned in the head. Me no like the time challenge, that is stress and mess. Jus' leave me be to drink in the atmosphere and I prefer that innit.

Could've been a contender but time challenge mean I ain't splashing the cash for this one.

Still Not George

Quote from: rudi on July 29, 2011, 06:58:26 PM
SNG: why doesn't the link to your site work? HMMMMMM???

Fixed it. But I should point out that the link is to my blog. There's a link to the MCG site in the About Me/Ego Massage section on there.

rudi

Ta pet!

[ed: nope, still doesn't work. Or do I have to clear cookies etc? Just gimme a link straight to your site, guv...]

madhair60

IS IT THIS'UN

Rudi it doesn't work cos there are two https, A CURSORY GLANCE WOULD HAVE REVEALED THIS

Still Not George

Weird. It prepends http:// whether it's there or not.

rudi

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2011, 05:20:29 PM
IS IT THIS'UN

Rudi it doesn't work cos there are two https, A CURSORY GLANCE WOULD HAVE REVEALED THIS

:-D

I don't have time for cursory glances; I have sites to click through in a desultory manner...

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: Still Not George on July 30, 2011, 05:25:05 PM
Weird. It prepends http:// whether it's there or not.

You're not fooling anyone with that comb-over mate

small_world

Downloaded From Dust.

Shit.

The fact that a game publisher even imagined this would work as a full game scares me. Would have been better as an app.

Fucked off now though.
So I've been playing this.
http://www.miniclip.com/games/civilization-wars/en/

It amazes me that they were able to develop that terraforming technology and then produce a game less involved than Populous.

Cerys

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on July 31, 2011, 06:18:07 PM

What can I say?  It turns me on.

Jamie Oliver is fat

He is very handsome

*swoons*

Still Not George

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on July 31, 2011, 06:18:07 PM

Lol. In my defence, I have repeatedly requested permission to either get rid of my hair entirely or at least brush it back over my head, avoiding the "comb-over effect" caused by my ridiculously luxuriant widow's peak, and been denied due to the fact that the first would make me look like Richard O'Brien and the second would make me look like a considerably more dashing Peter Stringfellow.

Planning on grabbing the From Dust demo sometime soon, Cerys has been making moist noises about what she's seen so it may be necessary.

small_world

Ah god (hmmm...).
All this talk about God/Strategy games has got me totally in need of some Theme Park. The original Bullfrog one. But I can't find it anywhere online...
Does anyone know if it's around? I'm going mad here.... I even spent 20 minutes looking for Theme Hospital, in the hope it would bridge the gap and give me some fulfilment, but that has disappeared and I'm now ravenous for some Theme Park!