Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Return of Mong A Mix!

Started by sirhenry, May 10, 2011, 01:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhenry

Yes, Mong A Mix is back! The chance to show off your imagination/music collection/mixing skills. Though obviously the last one is of least importance here at Cook'd and Bomb'd radio, as we're all about content over image, obviously. Dr. Christian Troy will be taking over the reins from Delete and Sir Henry, devising the topics, playing the mixes and wrestling with the scoring system[nb]thanks, NoSleep[/nb]

You don't need expensive software or extensive experience for mixing. A lot of the entrants (and winners) in the last series were put together on the free Audacity. Since then Reaper has appeared as a more sophisticated freebie, but for some of us it's just too complicated. The aim isn't to produce something professional-sounding but rather something fun/funny/interesting/perverse/surreal.

If you didn't hear any of the previous series you can get an idea of the sort of thing that folks like by tuning in to CaB radio on Thursday.[nb]If you want to hear more of the mixes, they're all linked in the original Mong A Mix thread[/nb] I'll be hosting
Mong A Mix Series 1 Winners' Show
this Thursday, starting at 7pm

playing the winning mixes from all 6 of the shows:- Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n' Roll, The Perfect Day, Sci-Fi and Cops and Robbers

DCT will probably be joining me on Thursday to let you know the theme of this series' first challenge and the deadline [nb]They'll be posted here too[/nb]. There may also be some minor changes in the format - you'll have to listen to find out.[nb]Or read them here on Friday[/nb].
Please have a go; it's stupidly easy and ridiculously fun.

See you there.

Phil_A

Fantastic. Maybe I'll get to take part in more than one this time.

NoSleep

Damn; I'm working away all Thursday & Friday.

sirhenry

Quote from: NoSleep on May 10, 2011, 06:09:28 PM
Damn; I'm working away all Thursday & Friday.
Not to worry, I'll be playing the winners from last time, which you will have heard before. And I'll put up links to download them all after the show along with the subject for the new one, as usual for Mong A Mix.

sirhenry

Tonight, starting at 8, the MongAMix winners! Even if you don't intend to take part, you really should listen to these, there are some fantastic mixes here (mine excluded, obviously).

And all the details of the all-new series, the first theme and the deadline.

See you at 8.

dr_christian_troy

...and so, Ladies and Gentlemen, the first Mong A Mix Theme of 2011 is:

WAR & PEACE:

Music: WAR

Talkie bit: 'The Best War'

Music: PEACE

The mix should comfortably be anything between 15 and 45 minutes. Or something.

Deadline for entries: 6pm, Thursday 2nd June.

PM me with the link (MegaUpload, Rapishare, SendSpace, etc) when it is ready.

Good luck!

Crabwalk

Was wondering a couple of weeks ago whether Mong a Mix was due a second series. Glad it's been recommissioned, and thanks chaps for putting it on!

Didn't see the thread in time for last Thursday's winners' show, sadly. But will endeavour to knock something together for the first show proper. Join in people; it's good fun and I'm always awed by the results.

bakabaka

dr_christian_troy

Just a reminder, the deadline for your WAR & PEACE MIX is 6pm, Thursday 2nd June.

I'm prepared for last-minute arrivals, but I have received one mix so far, so in my opinion the competition has begun.

Get them in folks, and good luck!

Details further up in the thread.

dr_christian_troy

TONIGHT! From 8pm:

MONGAMIX 2011 - WAR AND PEACE

With mixes from Delete, SirHenry, bakabaka, Harpo Speaks, Phil A, Crabwalk, Nik Drou, Repentia and Trench.

A remarkable turnout. Well done folks!

If anyone else is aiming to send me a mix tonight, please do so by 8pm if possible. If there's any problems, PM me.

I haven't done a mix myself[nb]I may have one ready in time, we'll see[/nb] for this one primarily just to adjust and focus on MongAMix hosting duties, but I will do for the next theme, which will be announced some time this evening.

Phil_A

Excellent contributions from everyone tonight. Here's my tiny bit of it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d2wv1h

Part 1: War

"Good For You(Good For Me)" aka The War Song from Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die!
"Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die" by Country Joe McDonald, live at Woodstock
"Charge" by The Divine Comedy

Field recordings by Lance Corporal Mike Baronowski (1948-1966)
Music: "Hole In The Sky" by North Sea Radio Orchestra
"Quartet For The End Of Time" by Messiaen.

Part 2: Peace

"The War Is Over" by Scott Walker
"After The War" by Barry Booth
"Soldier's Things" by Tom Waits
"They Didn't Believe Me" - Cast recording from Oh! What A Lovely War

dr_christian_troy

A huge thank you to all the mixers! A marvellous effort and a splendid evening indeed.

Here are the links to the mixes (in the order they were played tonight):

1. Delete's War Mix (15.08) - http://www.sendspace.com/file/zaglqq
2. More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) (31.32) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EPJV4GBO
3. Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace (40.30) - http://www.sendspace.com/file/4imdet
4. Phil A War Mix (41.55) - http://www.sendspace.com/file/d2wv1h
5. War And Peace (SirHenry) (38.07) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IRDPKMQS
6. Apocamix Now (Crabwalk) (29.23) - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2351401/Apocamix%20Now.mp3
7. Nik Drou's War & Peace (30.58) - http://hotfile.com/dl/119663139/683c246/Nik_Drous_War__Peace.mp3.html (Alternative link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3snp5j)
8. Hurry Up And Wait (Repentia) (19.34) - http://www.mediafire.com/?fqx1iqac89vc3r4
9. War (Trench) (38.40) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GSXL3WAR

Put your marks out of 10 for each mix in this thread. The deadline for voting will be midday on Sunday 12th June, with the winning mix airing prior to Neil's show in the evening.

...and so, Ladies and Gentlemen, the second Mong A Mix Theme of 2011 is:

KIDS:

Music: FOR THE KIDS

Talkie bit: 'Toys'

Music: BY THE KIDS

Deadline for entries: 6pm, Thursday 23rd June.

Good luck!

sirhenry

My playlist:

Rumours Of War - Billy Bragg
I Was Only 19 (A Walk In The Light Green) - Redgum
Aircraft Salesman (A Door in the Foot) - Robert Calvert & Vivian Stanshall
Spoiler alert
I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker - Sandi Thom
[close]
don't peek, listen and learn
So Long, Mom (A Song for World War III) - Tom Lehrer
Witch Hunt - Rush
Peace Through Nudism - Peter Cook
You Can't Kill Me - Gong
Imagine - David Peel & The Apple Band
happydaystoytown - Small Faces
Us And Them - Dream Theater, Easy Star All-Stars, Mariano Yanani, Mary Fahl, Nena, Phish, Pink Floyd, Vocomotion, The Flaming Lips (feat. Henry Rollins), Pink Floyd 2, DONK-REMIX, and 8-bit

Repentia

How the Hell am I supposed to score last night in anything approaching meaningfulnessness?

My own last-second anti-entry aside, there was some superb stuff in every last one of 'em.

Is there some way of just skipping over the arbitrary scoring system? Not wishy-washy prizes-for-all, more like, sod the scoring altogether?

"The Beatles Were Terrifying"[nb]clip from ??? .../new folder(4)/new folder/scarybeatles.mp3[/nb]
(Sgt Pepper mangled and looped[nb]because, Sgt=military connection... no, it doesn't work, eh.[/nb])
Blitzkrieg J-Bop by Kaori Shimizu
(Art Of War by Anant-Garde Eyes)
Army of Me by The Messengers Of God [nb]See? It was a cover version.[/nb]
[noembed]"Cash4Teeth.com"[/noembed]
(Girl's Hop[nb]because, hopping girls=peacetime, no, this one really doesn't work.[/nb] by Anant-Garde Eyes)
Himnaför[nb]which could mean "The Best Song About Peace, Ever" for all you know.[/nb] by Björk and The Sugarcubes
(.../new folder(7)/new folder(3)/ESnewsbeat_short.mp3)
[noembed]"Death Of A Dream"[/noembed][nb]Okay, I can explain. In the longer version of the show I had in mind, this was going to be in-context funny, building it up with repeated trails, playing off the the fact that President Obama made two historic speeches last month. So, ideally, you were all supposed to be expecting something about Osama Bin Laden, the whole TWAT thing, yes? Yeah, I know, it probably wouldn't have worked in-context even then. It was a good sketch, though.[/nb]
(No! Thank You by HTT, who also provided all the lovely stings)

And that is how you string out three tracks into a show an hour before you have to upload it, kids. Easy.[nb]I'm really sorry DCT, I'll do it properly next time, I almost promise.[/nb]

bakabaka

Quote from: Repentia on June 03, 2011, 02:05:38 PM
Is there some way of just skipping over the arbitrary scoring system? Not wishy-washy prizes-for-all, more like, sod the scoring altogether?
And the Winners' show can run non-stop from Boxing Day to New Year's Day. Perfect.

I haven't heard the last 3 mixes yet, but I'm hoping for something sublime or subpar, just to be able to give at least one mix a different score.

My playlist was something like this:

Numbers Game by Sublime Frequencies (Radio Pyongyang: Commie Funk And Agit Pop From The Hermit Kingdom)
Please Kill Us by Abe Lincoln and the Stincolns
Shot by Both Sides by Magazine
Into The Valley by The Skids
Forward to Death by The Dead Kennedys
No more war by Chumbawamba
The Impossible Dream by Abe Lincoln and the Stincolns
Fight War, Not Wars by Crass
Hate & War by The Clash
Ballroom Blitz (Live) by The Rezillos
Super Trouper by Custard
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by Riddlin' Kids
Blitzkrieg Bop from Bossa N' Ramones
Funeral march from an antique music box

Nik Drou

Here's my tracklisting, minus all the vocal inserts, which I shall leave a mystery.

Dory Previn - Yada Yada La Scala

Kevin MacLeod - Theme from 'Successful Experiment'

Gunshot - World War 3

John Scott - Death of Bob

The Cardigans - War (first try)

Alec Empire - The Cat Women On The Moon

Son Lux - War

The Tourists - Nothing To Do

Alexandre Desplat - Postcards

Loudon Wainright III - Lullaby

trench

War

War Ensemble (edit) - Slayer
Warsong - Tomahawk
The Reason of a Just War (Seq. 08) - Guido and Maurizio De Angelis
Red War feat. Max Cavalera - Probot [inc. Dem A Bomb We - Ladybug feat. Warrior Queen]
Improvised Explosive Device 0300 Hrs - General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners
War Machine - Reso
We're Fucked - Victims
Battle Damage Assessment And Repair/White Flag Surrender/"Wake Me Up In Heaven" - General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners
We All Won That Day, Sunshine - Leyland Kirby [inc. In Heaven (The Lady in the Radiator Song) - David Lynch and Alan Splet]

bakabaka

Time to bite the bullet, lads -

1. Delete's War Mix - 8 [nb]there should have been more[/nb]
2. More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) -
3. Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace - 9
4. Phil A War Mix  - 9
5. War And Peace (SirHenry)  - 9
6. Apocamix Now (Crabwalk)  - 9
7. Nik Drou's War & Peace  - 9
8. Hurry Up And Wait (Repentia)  - 9
9. Trench's Mix  - 9

Quote from: bakabaka on June 05, 2011, 12:08:02 PM
Time to bite the bullet, lads -

1. Delete's War Mix - 8 [nb]there should have been more[/nb]
2. More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) -
3. Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace - 9
4. Phil A War Mix  - 9
5. War And Peace (SirHenry)  - 9
6. Apocamix Now (Crabwalk)  - 9
7. Nik Drou's War & Peace  - 9
8. Hurry Up And Wait (Repentia)  - 9
9. Trench's Mix  - 9

"The mix should comfortably be anything between 15 and 45 minutes. Or something." Mark me down if you wish, but mark me down of lack of quality rather than lack of length. Its such a a stupid reason to mark somebody down especially when it fulfills the requirements of the rules. What if I chose to mark everybody down for the lack of original user created content in there mix, of which mine perhaps contains the greatest number of any mix entered.

NoSleep

sirhenry

Definitely peace.

1. Delete's War Mix - 9 [nb]there should have been more[/nb]
2. More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) - 8
3. Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace - 8
4. Phil A War Mix  - 8
5. War And Peace (SirHenry) 
6. Apocamix Now (Crabwalk)  - 8
7. Nik Drou's War & Peace  - 8
8. Hurry Up And Wait (Repentia)  - 8
9. Trench's Mix  - 8

Crabwalk

Is there anything more contoversial in the world than the Mong-a-Mix scoring system? I don't think so.

Here are my scores. Yeah, I'm off the fence. Deal with it wankers.[nb]and by 'wankers' I of course mean delightful creators of very enjoyable mixes[/nb]

1. Delete's War Mix - 10[nb]I could've done with about another 10 minutes of the peace song, mind.[/nb]
2. More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) - 7
3. Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace - 7
4. Phil A War Mix  - 10
5. War And Peace (SirHenry) - 9
6. Apocamix Now (Crabwalk)
8. Hurry Up And Wait (Repentia)  - 7
9. Trench's Mix  - 9

Repentia

Yeah, that was a good night, probably the best one yet. I recon everyone deserves at least 3s, maybe even 4s. I'm going to be generous and start the baseline at 4 out of 10.

Delete's War Mix (15.08) 4 +1 (for going first) +1 (for not sticking around for too long) = 6
More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) (31.32) 4 +1 (general coolness of mix) -1 (hogging both Ballroom Blitz and Blitzkrieg Bop) +1 (including The Dead Kennedys) = 5
Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace (40.30)  4 -1 (the concept of Harpo speaking is wrong) +1 (but it's also creepy) +1 (and clever) = 5
Phil A War Mix (41.55) 4 +1 (this was the one with the Nam audio, yes? Thanks. I had a flashback and killed the pizza delivery guy.) = 5
War And Peace (SirHenry) (38.07) 4 +1(because you never get bonus points in Mong A Mix for some reason) = 5
Apocamix Now (Crabwalk) (29.23) 4 +1(jingles) +1 (loud mix annoyed neighbours, covered sound of dismembering pizza delivery guy in bathtub) = 6
Nik Drou's War & Peace (30.58) 4 -1(I didn't recognize any of those bands, and therefore they must be shit) +1(on the other hand, it reminded me that I am getting old and out of touch and should get around to watching the X-Files box sets just lying about the place) +1 (Holy Shit, I think everyone's in on it, Mulder) = 5
War (Trench) (38.40) 4 +1(LOUD past midnight on a schoolnight) +1(got to use the circular saw as a result) = 6

Harpo Speaks

1. Delete's War Mix - 7
2. More War, Less Peace (Bakabaka) - 8
3. Harpo Speaks presents War And Peace
4. Phil A War Mix  - 7
5. War And Peace (SirHenry)  - 7
6. Apocamix Now (Crabwalk)  - 7
8. Hurry Up And Wait (Repentia)  - 6
9. Trench's Mix  - 7

Artemis

This sounded like fun - sorry to have missed it! Can we do another one?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Artemis on June 09, 2011, 03:13:27 PM
This sounded like fun - sorry to have missed it! Can we do another one?

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on June 03, 2011, 01:23:17 AM
...and so, Ladies and Gentlemen, the second Mong A Mix Theme of 2011 is:

KIDS:

Music: FOR THE KIDS

Talkie bit: 'Toys'

Music: BY THE KIDS

Deadline for entries: 6pm, Thursday 23rd June.

Good luck!

;)

dr_christian_troy

All excellent, but ultimately it was based on personal preference of content (baring in mind if I was already sold the mark would have least been a 6):

WAR & PEACE

DELETE - 8
BAKABAKA - 10
HARPO SPEAKS - 9
PHIL A - 9
SIRHENRY - 9
CRABWALK - 8
NIK DROU - 9
REPENTIA - 8
TRENCH - 9

Remember, 2 weeks until the Kids Mix deadline folks!

Crabwalk

Apocamix Now by Crabwalk featured:

'We Want War' by These New Puritans
'The Draft is Coming' by David Rovics
'War is a Card Game' by Nancy Ames
'Have You Passed Through This Night' by Explosions in the Sky
'Can't Get You Out of My Country' by Julian Cope
'Us and Them' by Easy Star All-Stars
'Spanish Civil War Song' by Phil Ochs

'Epilogue: The War is Over (Sleepers) by Scott Walker
'Shhh/Peaceful' by Miles Davis
'My Rainbow Race' by Donovan
'Freedom Flight' by Shuggie Otis
'Cycle of Violence' by Gruff Rhys
'Every Day' by Girl Talk

NoSleep

When is the winner to be announced? I will tot up the scores and sort it out accordingly. When's the last day for submitting votes?

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: NoSleep on June 13, 2011, 12:16:27 PM
When is the winner to be announced? I will tot up the scores and sort it out accordingly. When's the last day for submitting votes?

Let's say this Friday is the last day to get votes in. Ideally I'd like the winning mix to be played before Neil's show on Sunday, but I won't be able to do so myself as I'll be hosting the pub quiz.