Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:50:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Discount Vol. 2!!!

Started by The Boston Crab, May 31, 2004, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The new Super Discount album from Etienne de Crecy is coming out 30th August apparently, with 4 X 10" E.P. with a couple of tracks on each, appearing every month until then. the first one's meant to have come out already, you can find it on certain online record stores.
It's by de Crecy featuring Philippe Zdar from Cassius, double sided, 'Poisoned' & 'Audio Galaxy', I've heard extracts from both and they sound sweet.

Here though is the Poisoned track in almost full, from a de Crecy online mix, at rou-rou's fave Hollandaise site. It's the second track from the second mix (uur 2), and begins at about 6:30.

It goes PUSH! PUSH! and has burbling acid bass and great Alan Braxe synths.

It sounds like the best French house thing I've heard in beards!

Pass the Dutch

mr rou-rou

that link has reached it's server capacity, I doubt a few whores were responsible,

I look forward to hearing it, anything from the Etty baby will do for me,

I need some nice French tunes for summer, as it happens I'm just having a listen to Phoenix.

I really do start with the punctuation and put words around it, I write like, I'm gasping for air....

mwude

Still can't find it to buy from anywhere yet.  As long as it's got the same font as before I'll be happy.  Didn't you say the new one will be pink, crabster?  Why am I more interested in the album cover than the music?  Odd.

Anyone know where I can get the videos for some of the older singles?  I've got the ones from Tempovision because they came along with it as a bonus disc, but I recall a marvellous slow motion judo fight as the video from Super Discount 1 (probably for Prix Choc).  The judo mat had the "Super Discount" design on it.

Get it here now.

http://www.decks-records.com/

20 euro minimum order though, so if anyone wants to buy three, I'll have one off you, fo sho!

Honestly, I'll pay a tenner for it. I've got no debit card though, so can't pay online.

mr rou-rou

well a CD release is a good while away then isn't it, I thought that link was to the album :( ?

while I have you two here, there's already speak of Mylo's - Destroy Rock and Roll being the album of the year, I've been listening and I can't hear it myself, have you heard it, what do you reckon?

by the way the Phoenix album has a bonus but shitty mpg video of some montage studio work, its very shabby but I'm sharing it on soulseek if you wanted to have a look.

mwude

I've not heard Mylo yet, but have heard plenty of good things.  However I was somewhat put off by something I saw on amazon, hang on... oh yes, the fact that 'other things bought' was the likes of Miss Kittin & Felix da Housecat, both of which I can take in very limited doses.  I realise those links are only there in an effort to make you spend more money, but it does make me more than a little wary.  I shall give it a listen if I get round to it, but it's not exactly top of my list.

I never quite got into the whole electroclash thing (and I'm assuming Mylo is vaguely pigeonhole-able in that area).  And the whole 80s revival shite I don't get on with at all.  I know The Crab buzzes off the likes of 'Ready to wear' and 'Nina' by Felix da Housecat, but to me it just sounds like stuff the Human League or Kraftwerk did 20 years ago.  And they did it better.

As regards Super Discount 2 - I suppose it was inevitable that he'd drop all the "tout a dix balles!" sales references.  But it's still a bit of a shame.  'Le patron est devenu fou!' was always my favourite.

mr rou-rou

no no no , Mylo isn't electoclash at all, fret thee not,

agreed that Kittin and Felix are tired sounding, I've been listening to the two on and off and really I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't hear either of them ever again.

I know they are incredibly popular but that just has me scratching my head, what have these people been listening to that these two albums are so fantastic, it's the press though, its artist loyalty.

Having said that, I 'm a hypocrite on so many levels that I could live on a diet on eating my own words,

blue jammer

Mylo is tha bomb.

I'm amazed that his track 'drop the pressure' hasn't blown up in a massiv westwood stylee kinda thang, as the bassline in it, is one that rivals Alan Braxe/Fred Falke - Intro...

To be honest though, they've all got a long way to go before they can come anywhere near close to the warehouse sound back in 88/89, I've been spinning a lot of those classics lately and the basslines back then are just amazing.

Personally, I think people have become tired of what a French from the Daft Crew forum called 'la basse super-compressee daftienne,' which sums it up for me. There was a guy who wanted to know how to make that sound, and everybody just said, why? It's been done to death.

As for the Super Discount, the album won't be out on CD for at least a couple of months. It was proposed as Aug 30, but I can't see that now, since this first EP was delayed for over a month already.

Mylo I've only heard Drop the Pressure and the flip Ottos' Journey, which I prefer for its childlike melody, but he's definitely got the skills.

I want to check out the album but because I'm a library-only net man at the mo, slsk is not an option no more. Bah! Maybe I'll just buy a record for a change!

Oh and also, Daft Punk have just handed in a remix of Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand to Domino records. It sounds awesome in theory, but has been described by some as 'the laziest remix in history', and 'they are cheeky fuckers with remix', most tellingly, 'just the original with bits of Rollin and Scratchin' over the top...
But it is honestly offical, not some white label bootleg shit.

I still have hope.

mwude

Quote from: "blue jammer"I'm amazed that his track 'drop the pressure' hasn't blown up in a massiv westwood stylee kinda thang, as the bassline in it, is one that rivals Alan Braxe/Fred Falke - Intro...

Well that's me sold on at least that track then.  Just listened to Intro again the other day and that bassline is just ridiculous (in a good way).  You'd be gutted if you'd done it though, just sat there in a studio with your head in your hands thinking: 'Bollocks, this is the best I'm ever going to do, it's all down-hill from here'.

The new de Crecy stuff isn't ridiculously limited edition is it?  I'll buy it soon if there's only 8 and a half copies going to be released, but I'm guessing there'll be plenty more available soon & there'll be better place to buy it from than some crazy Germans who want at least 20 euros out of me.

edit -

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"Daft Punk have just handed in ... 'the laziest remix in history' ...

Surely not worse than their appaling remix of that Gabrielle track?

Quote from: "mwude"
You'd be gutted if you'd done it though, just sat there in a studio with your head in your hands thinking: 'Bollocks, this is the best I'm ever going to do, it's all down-hill from here'.

Harsh man, harsh.

Intro was good to get his name known, ripping of Da Punks, but since it was that exact 'basse super-compressee daftienne' which was already kind of boring, it's no great shakes.

Let's face it, we all know that Most Wanted on the flip is the real cut, and better than all is Rubicon. Oh, and by the way, i've heard the next Vulture, it's a rap group called REC produced by Braxe in a slo-mo electro style. It's a duffer. gutted.

SD2 ain't no limited shit either, it better find its way over to the Pool soon or I'll be kicking up an almighty stink.

And, that Gabrielle remix ain't so bad if you consider that those sounds, at the time, were pretty new, you know that sweeping backwards synthy string thing that makes me move my mouth, a bit orgasmic like. They were only 12 when they did it as well.

mr rou-rou

what do you make of Grime / Sublow / Dubstep? (Surely three Morrisms)

Rephlex records present "Grime"

gnome sane? a rose by any other name etc...

three artists, 12 songs, is this supposed to be some revolutionary new template for those who follow behind flying the flag?

Piss poor release from Rephlex, sounds like John Peel filler.

I think Mo Wax's 'Now Thing' Compilation in 2001 beat them to it.

mwude

I took delivery of a big pink 10" today, and very nice it is too.  Poisoned squelches and bounces along merrily, and Audio Galaxy drifts a bit in the middle but is thoroughly foot-tapping and head-nodding when it kicks in.

Neither track is jaw-droppingly outstanding, but a nice taster for what should be a very good album to come.  De Crecy always manages to make that filtered french sound more interesting than most of the rest of them.

Couldn't resist trying slsk at Sconmonster's, and guess what? I got it!

I think Poisoned is awesome. Funky as my feet.

mr rou-rou

:( I can't find it

gimmie gimmie

rou-rou, go into the 'D@FT Crew' room in slsk, someone will defo have it in there...normally between 15 and 35 peeps in there, just to help you find it...

also, i heard that all the track names on the new super discount vol. 2 DO have a link. they're all related to p2p software.
check this:

1st one : POISONED (a file-sharing program on the Mac) & AUDIO GALAXY
2nd one : FAST TRACK (don't know this one) / GROKSTER
3rd one : BIT TORRENT / LIMEWIRE

don't know about the titles on the 4th EP yet though.

interesante, no, senores?

mwude

I wondered if Audio Galaxy was a reference to Audiogalaxy.  Thought it sounded a bit like one of those froggy type track names anyway though (you could easily imagine a Daft Punk track called Audio Galaxy).  & I suppose p2p programmes do provide a super discount service.

So what's the 4th one going to be?  Napster / Soulseek?  Emule / Kazaa lite?  Home-taping / Whistling it to your mate?

In a way I hope that it's bollocks to be honest.  Grokster is a fucking terrible name for a track.  As is Limewire.

mr rou-rou

cheers crabby, I went to that room and someone's sorted me out, cheers

No probs rou-rou.

I think Soulseek is a good name for a track, but most of those are pretty shitty to be honest. Over at the Daft Crew forum: right here, we had a good larf after the name of the first one was released, saying, hey, I bet the next one's called eDonkey/Morpheus or whatever, wasn't very funny like, but hey, it turns out to be true.

Limewire is cack, as is Bit Torrent, but the more you say Grokster, the better it gets.

splattermac

rumpitous bumpitous and by no means new information.

Streaming copy of Mylo's Destroy Rock and Roll

Drop the pressure being the choice of discothèques

Jet Set Willy

I don't like Mylo, though Drop the Pressure is a nice tune to hear in a club, it's true.

mwude

Mylo were very entertaining when they played a live half-hour set at the Big Chill.  That was probably mainly down to the fact that their slower tunes are very dull, but their upbeat stuff is more catchy & rumbunctious.  Worth seeing if they're on the bill somewhere, although I doubt I'd spend anything to see just them.

The Croston Bab has got the next couple of tunes from Super D 2 and they sound pretty good.  No idea which ones, I'm totally lost as to what's been released, what's been downloaded or just what the hell is going on in general.  I don't think anything on there will be quite as instantly pleasing as on the original, but it's all growing on me.  Out of the 6 (I think) I've heard so far there's not been a duff one.

mwude

This bloke he say it rubbish

I still can't find a definite release date anywhere.  Should be quite soon though - some time this month.

splattermac

having heard his two latest offerings , Limewire and Bit Torrent, is he taking the piss, is it a hoax on the downloading community, I mean his fans that would download his tracks? (ahem, I own the originals)

listen here

Anyhoo I think they are fecking awful and I find his gallic humour in naming the tracks after p2p programs worthy of a raised eyebrow and cringing curled up toes.

- - - -

a pointless post but have a French track I do like, repetitive? oui monsieur!

Reminds me of old 80s sci-fi end titles, or maybe I'm just weird.

Archigram - Padre (original version) rightclicksaveas

If you like stuff like this then Juno is worth a trawl

here

Hornet

Amazon and Play.com have this listed as a 27 September release

Hornet

Has anyone bought it/listened to it yet?

mwude

Yes.  It's ok, not on a par with the first one.  'Poisoned' is nice opener & the next one 'Fast Track' is the stand out for me with a  bassline reminiscent of U2's New Year's Day - it's an absolute corker.  'Soul seek' is also great.  However there are a couple of tracks I find myself skipping past every time which certainly was not true of SD1.  I'd definitely try before you buy if you can.  The vinyl version has an extra track on it called 'F Net' which I've not had a chance to listen to yet.

Problem with it is that SD1 was a really fresh take on the burgeoning scene at the time in Paris taking all the best elements of french house as it was & putting de Crecy's individual stamp on it.  SD2 still has that individual sound to it, but it's not like it's going to have any sort of impact like the first one did.  It's not quite as home-friendly listening either.  The upbeat stuff all squelches and burbles in the right places & would work well in a club, but the more downbeat stuff just isn't anything like as good as on SD1.

All that said I've only given it a few listens so far & keep going back for more, so it's certainly not forgettable rubbish.  You can listen to a few tracks here although I wouldn't advise buying from these cunts who charge £3.40 p&p to deliver one fucking album.

Make me smile

in case anyone is interested , yer man himself is coming over for a launch party at the Medicine Bar in Brum next saturday...

I'm hopiing to go, but DJ Yoda is playing the night before so it might be a bit beyond me!

Hey, you guy! Ask yourself this...could you do any better? If the answer's no, that means shut your fat face up right now.

But I'm just joking of course...you're right mwude that it's no home listening wonder. However, given the interviews I've read for the promotion of this, and from just listening to it, it's clearly a predominantly dancefloor collection.

As an album, it doesn't work as well as the first one, but I don't think I would particularly want to hear any track from the first album in a club. I just want to listen to it on headphones on my own, it's so gorgeous.

This one is also great on headphones, but played loud! On first listen I think a lot of the tracks sound overly repetitive, but after you've had a few listens you really see the depth of texture in them. The production, despite sounding pretty old school at times, is pretty detailed, full of tiny flourishes and analogue activity. Anyways, here's my rundown...

1. Poisoned - Already a massive departure from the first collection, feeling the Alan Braxe synths and it really builds with the PUSH PUSH vocal and a ripping acid part filtering in. Sounds nothing like SD1.

2. Fast Track - Good punchy beats, pretty high BPM though! I like the bassline, couldn't give a fuck about U2 though. Some truly exciting squawking analogue squiggles tearing through it, and a rough synth line mirroring the bass. A dancefloor bomb!

3. Grokster - Initially one of my faves, the bassline is certainly class and some sweet tight drums, but it quickly got too repetitive for my liking, doesn't really go anywhere, but the violin sounds are nice.

4. Morpheus - Downtempo affair, plods a little bit for my liking, then kicks into a nice Daft Punk-style synth and beat, a la Short Circuit. A good 80s Miami vibe, but without resorting to fashionable pastiche. Doesn't really do too much though, but helps in the album context to allow a few minutes of repose.

5. Bit Torrent - Kind of Carl Craig style bleepy synths build into a nice real tight bass and beats groove, before supercompressed synth washes take over the track. I love the groove but it gets a bit intense for me with all the synths coming in. Surprising lack of control of the compressor from yer man EDC on this one I think. Just get a rush of sound coming in and out of the speakers on the kick. Bit annoying after a while.

6. Audio Galaxy - This is the one for me, big time. An almost reggae bassline builds and builds with some great layered synths following, as it just gets dirtier and dirtier. As throughout, the beats are tight and build well over the track. Some neat drops and stabbing guitar complement the quality synth work.

7. G2 - Your typical Mr. Learn pointlessness...

8. Soul Seek - Minimal-sounding electro workout. This will either do your head in or you'll love it. I think the multi-layered arpeggiated synths are as hypnotic as it gets. Just builds and builds and builds, kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy VII for some reason, just very cartoony and quite pretty. Nice sparse vocal sample as well.

9. Gifted - The major headnod to SD1. An Air-type acoustic guitar forms the basis of the track with some of your plodding synth stuff as seen earlier on Morpheus. Some lovely sample work and a great little creaking synth line winding it's way through the last minute of the track.

10. Limewire - Old school house with rave-style synths. Pretty tinny beats to be honest on this one, which is possibly the intention, but it's not to my taste. However, when it builds up a few layers, I start to get into it. Not very subtle but probably would go down massively in a club.

11. Overnet - The track that I didn't think much of at all after first listen, thought I'd heard it all before on the other tracks, but after a few more listens I can see impact this would have in a club. Sticking to a basic acid bass line, it just takes the form as far as it can go. Nice beats, keeping it from being too clinical, as the synthline just gets cleaned out by the FX. By the end, it gets pretty startling. Demands to be heard loud and will just completely pass you by as background music, but in a club, this would kick the shit out of the dancefloor.

So, I've developed the classic internet forum album review style then...wordy, imprecise, tinted with bias and utterly meaningless to those who've not heard the album...

Ta la's!

Hornet

Now got it.  It needs listening to on its own merits, rather than as a "follow-up" to Super Discount.

Agree with the Crab