Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:05:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adventures of Tintin

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, May 17, 2011, 10:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa's Boyfriend

It's been very amusing to read talkbacks about this film on Ain't It Cool News.  Tintin has never really made it in America, and is essentially an unknown quantity, so people are seriously confused as to why Spielberg and Jackson would want to adapt a property they've never heard of.  The fact that it's the most well known comic in the world doesn't seem to sway them - if it's not known over there, it's not worth knowing it seems.  Others are assuming it's called Tin Tin and is about a dog - presumably getting it confused with Rin Tin Tin.  Anyway, the posters were announced yesterday and the teaser trailer is out today, and it certainly looks interesting!

International poster:

American domestic poster:

Teaser trailer on Apple:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/theadventuresoftintin/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Christ...quick time player. Are they still peddling that piece of shit?

Anyway, yes. I love Tintin so this is one hollywood animated film I shall be watching. I really like the style of it and I think it does the originals comics justice, in terms of looks.

CaledonianGonzo

Are those the largest screenplay credits ever seen on a movie poster?

momatt

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 17, 2011, 11:45:20 AM

The fact that they are readable at all, is certainly unusual.

Didn't realise Joe Cornish was involved, can't be all bad then.  He might even cancel out some of Spielberg's crapulence.

Santa's Boyfriend

That hadn't occurred to me, but yes they are unusually big!  On the other hand everyone's name on there will help sell the movie, especially in America.

Nik Drou

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 17, 2011, 11:45:20 AM

I was just thinking how pleasant it is to see those three names get such a large billing on a major motion picture.

CaledonianGonzo

Oh - I've no issue with it - was just surprised.  [nb]Though that said, I've got no opinion on either Wright or Cornish as writers other than not being a fan of much of their previous work.  Unlike momatt, I'm more interested in seeing Speilberg return to action/adventure.[/nb]

And also surprised to see Steven Moffat's name still on there.  I thought he'd left the project to work on Sherlock, but I guess a lot of his work still remains in the film.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 17, 2011, 03:54:54 PM
And also surprised to see Steven Moffat's name still on there.  I thought he'd left the project to work on Sherlock, but I guess a lot of his work still remains in the film.

My understanding is that Moffat wrote the lion's share of it, but I'm not sure about the extent of Wright and Cornish's involvement.

VegaLA

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 17, 2011, 04:33:33 PM
My understanding is that Moffat wrote the lion's share of it

Tis true. Steve S asked him to stay on board for the sequels, but Steve M had to turn him down so he could run Dr Who. The Spielberg team were shocked he would do such a thing but Steve S understood where he was coming from being a Who fan himself.

papalaz4444244

hmm..... this might be the first photorealistic animation that works perfectly.

Modern AND faithful. If it works it will be a triumph.

Santa's Boyfriend

Here's the French version for the purists!  I think the dialogue is slightly different?

Les Aventures de Tintin : Le Secret de la Licorne (2011) Bande-Annonce VF

biggytitbo

Think this looks bloody great. I love Tintin and the animation, look and atmosphere to this seems to be absolutely spot on. As far as I remember, this is essentially Moffatt's script, he was then going to write the next two, but bailed out to do Doctor Who. But that was a long time ago, about 3 years now I think so even Moffatt has lost track of whats what -
QuoteDo you know how much of your writing is still in Tintin?
I'm sure hardly any. I haven't kept track. I now don't know which bits are secret and what aren't. So, I'm very circumspect. I mean, I was the one that left. I was the baddie there. They didn't sack me, or anything. I left to do Doctor Who and they were incredibly kind and decent about that. They could have kicked up more of a legal fuss about it, frankly. But they were really gentlemanly about it and they were lovely people to work with. I was chatting the other day with Edgar [Wright, the director of Shaun of the Dead, who took over writing duties on Tintin, together with Attack the Block filmmaker Joe Cornish]. He said he'd seen a bit of it and it was looking absolutely beautiful. The truth is, I've been used to running my own show for ages. So maybe it was better to go back to that.

To be honest, I can't imagine its that hard to write a Tintin film, the books are tremendously cinematic and well structured all ready. All the dififculty here will be in succesfully combining three seperate stories.

Tiny Poster

Note: no real dialogue in the trailer. That's going to be the hard sell. 'Tintin' looks frightening at the end.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 17, 2011, 08:05:03 PM
To be honest, I can't imagine its that hard to write a Tintin film, the books are tremendously cinematic and well structured all ready. All the dififculty here will be in succesfully combining three seperate stories.

Actually, much as I love the stories they're notably lacking in most of the features that a Tintin-ignorant studio exec would hope to see in the plot of his forthcoming movie - romance, the three act structure, the usual features of the hero's journey, etc.

Santa's Boyfriend

I'm not sure I'd agree with that (well there is no romance, sure), but they would be a bit thin plot-wise if they simply filmed one book per movie.  I think they've integrated 3 books into this movie.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on May 17, 2011, 10:42:10 AM
The fact that it's the most well known comic in the world doesn't seem to sway them

That would be Superman or Batman, surely? I hadn't even heard of Tintin until I was about 9, when some kid on holiday in Spain lent me some books and I got hooked.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this.

madhair60

Looks fun.  I wish they'd used the music from the cartoon, though.  That shit got me pumped.

Neville Chamberlain

Wow, this is the first time in ages that I've actually looked forward to a major motion picture!

Now I wonder if someone'll ever do a decent Asterix film?!?

Ash

I'm quite excited for this! Although the posters... so generically blue/orange. I'll never be able to look at film posters the same way since I was told about the blue/orange thing. Gah.

CaledonianGonzo

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 18, 2011, 05:38:20 AM
That would be Superman or Batman, surely?

They're better known as movies, the comics are less well known - in fact it's fair to say many people are not aware they come from comics at all.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteI'll never be able to look at film posters the same way since I was told about the blue/orange thing. Gah.

Tintin And The Blue Oranges?

I'l get me coat.

Rev

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on May 17, 2011, 10:42:10 AM
It's been very amusing to read talkbacks about this film on Ain't It Cool News.  Tintin has never really made it in America, and is essentially an unknown quantity, so people are seriously confused as to why Spielberg and Jackson would want to adapt a property they've never heard of.

It was amusing to begin with, but it's become seriously crackers, and not just on Ain't It Cool.  They're not just confused, they're kind of angry about it, because it's like the whole world is in on something that's passed them by and is LAUGHING BEHIND THEIR BACKS for not getting excited about it.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if boycotting the film became a Tea Party 'thing' on release:  Don't know it, don't need it.

Santa's Boyfriend

A tea party thing?  I'm not sure I follow.

Santa's Boyfriend

I know who they are, I'm just not sure why they would boycott Tintin.  Seems a bit of an odd thing to do simply because they've not heard of him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on May 20, 2011, 03:23:29 PM
I know who they are, I'm just not sure why they would boycott Tintin.  Seems a bit of an odd thing to do simply because they've not heard of him.

Because they've somehow come to the conclusion that Tintin is a homosexual Muslim Communist who wants to hike their taxes?

Santa's Boyfriend

sirhenry

Just watched the trailer. So Tilda Swinton is playing Tintin? Bold move.

imitationleather

I've been a fan of Tintin since I was first able to read and I'm quite excited about this. As others have touched upon, I'm a bit surprised that it's being made in to such a major Hollywood film as it always felt far too european and un-American in its themes and atmosphere to be made in to what they're clearly hoping is going to be one of the biggest hits of the year. I think it'll go down very well over here, but completely flop in America - regardless of how good the film actually is. This isn't me going, "Ah, us europeans. So much more cultured than those American fools!" either, it's just a difference between us that I think will show at the box office.

Obviously now I've said that it is going to do massively well in the States and win a stack of Oscars, but that'd be great so it's not like I'll be gutted to be proved wrong or anything. It'll be good to get more people in to Tintin. My God those comics are great. Every frame is a work of art. Arrrgh... I'm going to have to go and read The Calculus Affair now!