Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adventures of Tintin

Started by Santa's Boyfriend, May 17, 2011, 10:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jutl

Quote from: Mister Six on October 26, 2011, 02:57:41 AM
It can't - it's still shit no matter who does it.

...or not. I'm not sure we can make these kind of hard and fast rules about artistic quality. Realism is not the only yardstick.

garbed_attic

I'm not sure about the shiny balloon-people quality to the characters. They look like they'd squeak if you rubbed them! It's very odd to see Tintin in 3D, because the matt flatness is so integral to the look of the comic. It'd be a bit like making a 3D version of a Chris Ware strip! That said, as a child I adored Tintin and it was certainly one of the things that got me into comics, so I'm more than tempted to give it a look.

oh and on a mild tangent, here's a really great analysis of a few panels of Tintin just to remind you of how well composed it is:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/09/your-wednesday-sequence-25-herge/

momatt

Someone at The Guardian is reading the tags here!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/27/tintin-uncanny-valley-computer-graphics
Tintin and the Uncanny Valley: when CGI gets too real

Interesting article.

Cambrian Times

I'm optimistic about most things, and will play devil's advocate, but even I have to say, Tintin was a bit shit.
Spoiler alert
Although the bit were Tintin opens the guide pamphlet and there is picture of Spielberg as the sheik did make me giggle.
[close]

Maybe I should have forked out a bit more to see the 3D version, but there you go.

Absorb the anus burn

Felt very torn about the film. Beautiful to look at, but likely to wind up Tintin fans by messing with chronology.

Positives: Snowy; the opening credits; Bianca Castafiore; Nestor; Allan; Loch Lomond brand booze; the desert mirages.

Negatives: Haddock as a Scot; Thompson & Thomson's heads; the crane fight... And what happened to the fucking Bird brothers?

CaledonianGonzo

On the whole I enjoyed it, but it felt a little uninvolving. Ultimately, I just didn't care that much about the quest or the characters.

It managed to capture a very Herge feel in the detail of the world, but ultimately I felt that the elements that didn't really work in a 'modern' movie were some of the bits that were straight from Herge.  Despite being my favourite character on the page, the 3-D Haddock just came across as annoying.

It ended a bit suddenly, too
Spoiler alert
Wot no killer whale submarine
[close]

El Unicornio, mang

BUMP

Just watched this. Loved the books as a child, and the film was faithful for the most part. An enjoyable romp, but I found the fact that the characters often looked just like actors wearing Bo Selecta masks quite distracting. Major uncanny valley syndrome.

Mister Six

I loved it, save for the crane fight, which was rubbish. Felt more like an Indiana Jones film than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I do think it suffered from adhering so closely to the comics, though - just like in Herge's originals, Tintin has no character arc or defining characteristics whatsoever. He's just a gravitational point around which the plot gathers and coalesces. Made the film feel a bit hollow.

Santa's Boyfriend

I'm not sure I agree, I felt that both Tintin and Haddock were much more fully rounded than in the comics.  Tintin is still a bit of an empty vessel (the idea being that the reader, or viewer in this case, puts their own personality on top and lives the adventure) but less so than in the books I think.

I loved the film.  I saw it in the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed it every bit as much the second time around on TV.  It's not slavish to the books by any means, but is respectful towards them - and in my mind it gets the balance exactly right.  It's definitely a Spielberg film, but you can feel Stephen Moffat's humour and clever writing running through it, and obviously Herge's sense of grand adventure is ever present.    Personally I didn't have an uncanny valley experience with it, I felt the mo-cap was the most comfortable of these kinds of things I've seen so far - certainly far better than Beowulf.

I honestly think this is the best Tintin movie anyone could ever have hoped for, and it's particularly interesting how much better it is than either Crystal Skull or Last Crusade.  I'm very keen to see another one of these.

biggytitbo

Finally saw this and loved it. Obviously it looks spectacular but it's also the first cgi film i've seen that's actually directed properly, like a real film rather than a video game. Lots of good laughs too, with a lighhtness of touch reminscent of the Indy films.

KLG-7B

Yeah, it's really good. And doesn't look like shit, because it goes for a good art style of its own instead of attempting to ape reality, or copying existing CGI movies for some perverse reason.

Santa's Boyfriend

I didn't really notice it the first time I saw it, but Spielberg does use it to film sequences that he couldn't have made in live action - particularly the chase for the three pieces of paper, which is very Spielbergian (or perhaps very Indiana Jones) but is filmed in one "take" - the camera doesn't break away at all, resulting in a sequence that would be all but impossible to have filmed.  Doesn't necessarily make it a better sequence, but it's still all good fun.  I am looking forward to the next one, but to be honest I want Peter Jackson to get on with making The Dambusters more than anything else now.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 29, 2012, 06:42:35 PM
the first cgi film i've seen that's actually directed properly, like a real film rather than a video game.

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on December 30, 2012, 05:56:00 PM
Spielberg does use it to film sequences that he couldn't have made in live action - particularly the chase for the three pieces of paper, which is very Spielbergian (or perhaps very Indiana Jones) but is filmed in one "take" - the camera doesn't break away at all, resulting in a sequence that would be all but impossible to have filmed. 

Make up your minds!

Santa's Boyfriend

But that sequence feels like a real film too!  Just an impossible one.  That's not a contradiction!

CaledonianGonzo

I'd need to see it again, but to be honest I err on the side of that sequence feeling a bit unreal and video-gamey.