Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:47:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Akira - cause for celebration!

Started by VegaLA, May 19, 2011, 12:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

OK, film is still going ahead as planned, but without that Matrix guy from Bill and Ted's etc..etc..

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20611/keanu-reeves-departs-akira-remake

Anyone have any strong opinions on this as it is regarded as such a cult classic?

El Unicornio, mang

The original manga and the original movie are both incredible works of art, in different ways. I'll be interested to see if they are able to stick closer to the manga, as the film only explored a very small portion of it (the character of Akira is almost nonexistent in the film, as is Tetsuo creating his own little empire in Neo Tokyo, which makes up a lot of the story). I'm not even sure that a non-Japanese version would work as well, the culture of modern and traditional Japan is very much part of the fabric of the story and characters, even though it borrows a lot from Western sci-fi. Since it's still at the development stage, it could go in many directions. Ideally, if it has to get made, I'd like to see an HBO series in about 12 parts, which would be enough to get a good portion of the story out there. There are too many characters and plot strands to just make one film, unless they condense it drastically like the original film, a trilogy or even two long films might possibly work though

momatt

Keanu's involvement wasn't as big a problem for me, as the fact that it's set in New York.

I'd really like to see films of the other books made in the same Anime style  I just have no interest in a US version that will almost certainly ruin it.

The idea of the HBO series could work very well indeed.  But only if set in Tokyo!  Does every single film ever have to be in New York?

kidsick5000

Every comic would benefit from the HBO treatment.
The whitewashing doesn't matter to me, but don't call it Akira if it's not Akira

Glebe

The original's out on Blu-ray soon, looking forward to that...

El Unicornio, mang

It's been out on Blu-Ray for over 2 years

vrailaine

I love Akira (the film, don't know anything about the book things) and all, but let's be serious, the Geinoh Yamashirogumi soundtrack is absolutely vital to the film, I've no idea whether I'd think much of the film at all without it.

Heard this tune the other day which samples the Tetsuo tune. P good.

Panda Bear - "Comfy In Nautica"

momatt

Quote from: Glebe on May 19, 2011, 11:35:05 PM
The original's out on Blu-ray soon, looking forward to that...
Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 20, 2011, 02:51:06 AM
It's been out on Blu-Ray for over 2 years

There's one already out that's an import (Region 1), but my mate works for a DVD/Blu-Ray mastering company[nb]Dubbs[/nb] and is working on a new Akira Blu-Ray at the moment.  He says the new print is fantastic and even the most hardened, cynical people have been very impressed with it[nb]no, I'm not on commission[/nb].  This is far more exciting to me than any form of US reboot; though I'll be interested in seeing that at some point, if only just to deride it.

True about the soundtrack  Absolutely mental in a way only the Japanese can do.  The tune in the hospital scene where the little toys/Espers are crawling on Tetsuo's bed is unreal, beautiful and really quite unnerving.

sirhenry

Quote from: vrailaine on May 20, 2011, 05:43:58 AM
I love Akira (the film, don't know anything about the book things) and all, but let's be serious, the Geinoh Yamashirogumi soundtrack is absolutely vital to the film, I've no idea whether I'd think much of the film at all without it.
I'm sure they can get Stomp! to redo it. And maybe get Daft Punk to master it. You won't be able to tell the difference.[nb]You're right. The soundtrack will have to be outstanding to even get close to the power of the original.[/nb]

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: vrailaine on May 20, 2011, 05:43:58 AM
I love Akira (the film, don't know anything about the book things)

Seriously, read the books.  They're better than the movie.

(And yes, the movie is fantastic.)

Spiteface

Quote from: momatt on May 20, 2011, 10:52:33 AM
There's one already out that's an import (Region 1), but my mate works for a DVD/Blu-Ray mastering company[nb]Dubbs[/nb] and is working on a new Akira Blu-Ray at the moment.  He says the new print is fantastic and even the most hardened, cynical people have been very impressed with it[nb]no, I'm not on commission[/nb].  This is far more exciting to me than any form of US reboot; though I'll be interested in seeing that at some point, if only just to deride it.

This Akira Blu-Ray.  Will it have English subtitles that match the Japanese dialogue, rather than being of the English dub?

The special edition DVD (the one with the black cover with re-recorded english dub, also later repackaged with the original english dub) had subtitles, but they were not a direct translation of the Japanese.  The video copies I've had (taped off BBC2 and the 2-tape Manga entertainment release) were subtitled, and it bugs me that there hasn't been a properly subtitled DVD version.

Getting back on topic, I am filled with dread at the prospect of this remake. Akira is a very japanese story to begin with, and to relocate it and such will just fuck with everything.

Haven't watched it in a while, incidentally, might watch it this weekend.

El Unicornio, mang

The Region 1 blu-ray has several subtitle options for each language. Also, if you type "akira blu ray subtitles" into google you can get hold of text files of the subtitles so you can check for yourself (presumably the region 2 will have the same options)

sirhenry

Listening to the soundtrack now for the first time in a long while.
Fuck, it's good.

vrailaine

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on May 20, 2011, 03:24:58 PM
Seriously, read the books.  They're better than the movie.

(And yes, the movie is fantastic.)
They kinda... cost money, it's a pretty big stumbling block.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're better than the movie, strictly on a storyline sense or whatever, but there isn't a Geinoh Yamashirogumi soundtrack accompanying them, I assume.

Oh yeah, I totally had the Akira soundtrack pegged as being loaded with tons of potentially great samples years ago, so I like Comfy in Nautica a little bit more for sorta proving my point.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: vrailaine on May 22, 2011, 12:14:09 AM
They kinda... cost money, it's a pretty big stumbling block.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're better than the movie, strictly on a storyline sense or whatever, but there isn't a Geinoh Yamashirogumi soundtrack accompanying them, I assume.

Oh yeah, I totally had the Akira soundtrack pegged as being loaded with tons of potentially great samples years ago, so I like Comfy in Nautica a little bit more for sorta proving my point.

They're worth investing in (or downloading from a torrent site if you must), the artwork alone is staggeringly brilliant, by far the best comic book art I've ever seen. Some pages towards the end will have you open mouthed at the technical detail. Not the best example, but this is just small panel among thousands:

and the main two-page destruction scene

It's a small pic so you can't see it too well, but each of the buildings is rendered in exact detail

Spiteface

I'm gonna have to get the books now.

I think I had volume 1 ages ago, but Never got past that.  Once I'm up to date with The Walking Dead, I'll need something else to occupy me at work during lunch...

Consignia

Quote from: Spiteface on May 20, 2011, 08:39:38 PM
This Akira Blu-Ray.  Will it have English subtitles that match the Japanese dialogue, rather than being of the English dub?

The subtitles should be accurate. The Manga of today are different than the ones of yesteryear, and I couldn't imagine them skimping on the subtitles these days. I would say these are the exact same discs as the other regions like a few of the recent big film blu-rays are, but I've heard they've had problems clearing some of the materials for the extras, so they might not be.

vrailaine

My Akira DVD had the Japanese audio, also had a really crap version of the film with an awful older English dub.

I always feel ripped off with graphic novels, not even sure why cos I've enjoyed the few I have read.

SteveDave

I don't think I've ever seen Akira with subtitles. I got the dubbed video with my £15 gift voucher for HMV that I got when I opened a Natwest account in 1993/4. I remember being very distracted that the voice of Tetsuo was one of the TMN/HT. & the fact that everyone said "Aaaaah" a lot before sentences to get around the fact the mouths were open a lot. In my local charity shop there's a version on DVD that was obviously once attached to a magazine that cost £2.99 the first week before rocketing to a big £8.99 for the rest. I might buy that & relive my youth.

kaprisky

The film gets a big screen outing again next month, down in that there London:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/event-detail.asp?ID=12408

They are also showing some of the Studio Ghibli stuff during that season, but yes, Akira is one of those mind-blowing, iconic films that is ambitious, visually striking, sometimes incomprehensible but, once seen, always memorable. Apart from the bits that you forget! I've seen it twice, once in subtitled form off BBC2 and the other an English dub off the Sci-Fi Channel, and the bits that were incomprehensible (the ending) remained on both screenings so I guess that must be Japanese quirk.

That's not a criticism because I like the idea that a film like this can have international success without compromising its ideas and concerns (English dub apart) for other territories. Although smashing a motorbike cop's helmet with a metal bar translates well in any language.

Consignia

Isn't it considered incomprehensible largely because they snipped large chunks from the 6 volume manga to fit it into a film? I don't remember it being particularly incoherent[nb]although it has been almost a decade since I last watched it.[/nb], just there was lots of bits explaination left out.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: kaprisky on May 26, 2011, 12:38:07 PM
The film gets a big screen outing again next month, down in that there London:

http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/event-detail.asp?ID=12408

Shitting hell! Thanks for the heads up on this, I've gotta get myself down there for one of those screenings!

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Consignia on May 26, 2011, 12:50:47 PM
Isn't it considered incomprehensible largely because they snipped large chunks from the 6 volume manga to fit it into a film? I don't remember it being particularly incoherent[nb]although it has been almost a decade since I last watched it.[/nb], just there was lots of bits explanation left out.

It was more a re-imagining than an adaptation as it simply wouldn't have been possible to fit that story into 2 hours.  Besides which, Otomo was only about two thirds of the way through the comic when the movie came out!  The movie cuts out most of the coup d'etat, the global effect of Akira's awakening, excises Akira himself from the story altogether and removing the entire post-apocalypse storyline (which makes up vols 4-6) and instead focuses mostly on Kaneda and Tetsuo's relationship (very sensibly given it's restrictions) but ultimately ending in the same place.

Spiteface

Quote from: Consignia on May 22, 2011, 06:20:51 PM
The subtitles should be accurate. The Manga of today are different than the ones of yesteryear, and I couldn't imagine them skimping on the subtitles these days.

Got my copy of the Blu-ray today, and still my one gripe with Akira on DVD remains.

The subtitles are for the english dub, not the original japanese dialogue.

The later dub is so much better than the old eighties version, but is this really so hard?

Glebe

The steelbook is €30 in HMV... bit steep, especially considering the slump they're apparently suffered recently. Come on music/video stores, pull your finger out and start reducing prices!

Spiteface

Of the two HMVs I go to, none of them even had the steelbook.

I went to the Newport one during my lunch break last week, they only had the regular DVD version, the Cardiff has the vanilla Blu-Ray and regular DVD version, but no Steelbook.

Got mine of Amazon, under £18 as I recall.  I'm OK with that, especially being the Steelbook slut I am.

madhair60