Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Night Shift (Næturvaktin) (Icelandic petrol station based comedy)

Started by gepree, May 21, 2011, 10:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

The (seemingly abandoned) American remake had some details that beggared belief: https://web.archive.org/web/20110716211844/http://icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/?cat_id=16567&ew_0_a_id=357186

QuoteHowever, nerdy med-school drop-out Daníel has turned into a hunk who is playing the field, and there might be a potential love triangle in the US version of the series. His name remains unchanged, though.

You couldn't make a better parody of a bad American remake if you tried.

Dewt

Just finished rewatching Dagvaktin. I had forgotten how fucking heavy it is. Absolutely devastating at points.

The end,
Spoiler alert
a broken Georg addressing the crowd, lost for words and in tears:

"I am trained in self-defence. It was Bjarnfreður[nb]his mother[/nb], she forced me, Bjarnfreður, abuse... abuse Ólafur... sexually, sad yes... very sad...

I have five university degrees. Five."

Just that little subtle thing about his mother and what we know about her reveals so much about why Georg is like he is without being explicit about it. Topped off with him going back to bragging about his education to drive home that he turned into such an awful person as a way of coping with his terrible upbringing.
[close]

Dewt

Dewt

The Guffi stuff is unbelievably offensive.

Bjarnfreðarson is definitely worth it.
Spoiler alert
Pulls everything together very quickly at the end, very effectively. I can't think of many films that become so cathartic so quickly. It leaves you feeling like everything since The Night Shift had this resolution in mind.
[close]

Phil_A

Guess there's no way to get this series now, right? DVDs been out a print for years, torrents long dead :(

Dewt

Check the last page. I'll see what I can do about making them available again. You're right, they are really difficult to get hold of. It's basically impossible to get the movie anymore. When I found the DVD I made a perfect rip (and of the rest), a bunch of mid-quality encodes and sold the discs on eBay. Every single person who bought them wrote a personal message about what a fucking nightmare it was (and some also had theirs stolen by what is apparently a traveling Icelandic comedy thief)

Famous Mortimer

I had a set of the DVDs, possibly gifted by someone in this thread, but I haven't got the foggiest where they are now. I'll see if I can find them (Dewt, please let me know when you've re-encoded them).

Shude

First post!

I attempted to join this forum last month to find out how to get hold of the DVDs or torrents for this amazing Icelandic comedy after watching on BBC4 years ago.  I received my welcome e-mail today so I could login but in fact have now found several working torrents and have watched all three series and (today!) watched the movie finale.  I watched them on PLEX and it found subtitles for me but some are missing from the actual torrents.  I am currently downloading any missing subtitle files, will post links to torrents presently.