Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Google enter the Console race

Started by VegaLA, May 26, 2011, 04:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

No, not really.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/evo-2-console-promises-to-bring-android-gaming-to-your-tv-this-f/

But if anyone was to get involved and compete against Sony and Microsoft....and Nintendo, then my money is on Google. They got the financial clout and Android is now a familiar face out there I can see it going places.

I think its time someone else rattled the current 3's cages and made them pull their socks up. The next gen of consoles is on the horizon and rumour has it EA has a new gen XBox. Microsoft may announce something at E3 (late this year?) so fingers crossed something memorable will go down in the next few weeks.

So, if not Google, who? Who would you like to see produce a console?

MojoJojo

Really, really, outside of Google's strength.
(The same could be said of MS when they introduced the xBox of course, but at least they had a side business in attracting/keeping some game development going on windows, since it was one of the big advantages of windows over linux/any other os at the time, especially in the important comp. sci. undergrad market. Also, MS had/has a disproportionate interest in consumer products, and it's not really clear that the XBox was really a good idea from a business perspective)

Obvious candidate would be Apple[nb]I suspect this will attract derision[/nb] - Games have been something of an unexpected success for them with iOS.
They are trying to capitalise on their media deals with the AppleTV[nb]which does play games, but doesn't really count as a games console[nb]also similar to the Evo mentioned in that article. Google have shut up about GoogleTV, because studies have shown it won't work - people don't want to have to chose what they watch[/nb]. A games console could be what is needed to make AppleTV/iTunes media a compeeling choice.

But Apple won't let games publishers do what they want and there are lots of other reasons why it wouldn't work.

I don't think anyone could successfully introduce a new console at this point. Not enough to differentiate on.

nrgroom

Although it will never happen, it would e great to see Sega release an awesome new console that blows everyone away.