Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MW3

Started by VegaLA, May 28, 2011, 07:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

There have been a few teasers running around lately that showcase the different countries the campaign takes place in. The London teaser made me sit up and take notice, would be great to stomp around familar ground.

I never bothered with the last Call of Duty game, Black Ops but have enjoyed the other Modern Warfare titles.

http://www.callofduty.com/mw3/videos/reveal.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=modern+warfare+3&utm_campaign=colossus_branded

Anyone interested in this or is it already written off as just another generic CoD game? And what happened between the two guys that owned the title against Activison? I thought Activision could no longer continue that franchise or did they kiss and make up?

Subtle Mocking

I'd like to think it's going to be a new, different and fresh game, but as long as it's under the Activision name I can't be too optimistic. They're running this franchise into the ground the same way they did with Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk.

I've not played Black Ops either but it looks like such a disappointment. There's a video on YouTube where a guy completes one of the levels on a harder difficulty, using only about 2 or 3 bullets.

mikeyg27

If there's a level set in Westminster tube station, I'm all over that shit.

The thing is Call of Duty 4 was set in a world that was, if not realistic, then at least plausible (or at least not requiring too intensive a suspension of disbelief). I haven't played MW2 yet, but it appears that between that and this that Infinity Ward have taken a turning into Batshit Insane Alley.

glitch

No multiplayer in the trailer (yet), don't give a shit (yet).

El Unicornio, mang

I think it looks pretty amazing. I'm sure they'll have multiplayer (I don't play online though so not bothered personally)

wheatgod

Quote from: mikeyg27 on May 28, 2011, 08:47:16 PM
The thing is Call of Duty 4 was set in a world that was, if not realistic, then at least plausible (or at least not requiring too intensive a suspension of disbelief). I haven't played MW2 yet, but it appears that between that and this that Infinity Ward have taken a turning into Batshit Insane Alley.

Yes I liked how COD4's plot was somewhat "underground", in that these things could be happening without us knowing. They seemed proud of the plot of MW2, but its hyperunrealistic tosh!

Hobes

how will battlefield 3 compare? at the moment that is where my money is going.

Big Jack McBastard

If there was one thing about CODBO that was rank it was it's ending, it went from a damaged, brainwashed man fighting his own memories to 'AMERICA FUCK YEAH' in the time it took you to surface from the last objective.

As for MW3 I'll inevitably play it but I'm not expecting high art.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: wheatgod on May 29, 2011, 12:10:24 PM
They seemed proud of the plot of MW2, but its hyperunrealistic tosh!

From the trailer, that's what MW3 looks like. Might not get quite as insane as the fucking White House blowing up, but it looks darn close.

I think my money would go to Battlefield personally. The next instalment looks gorgeous, and I don't think I'd be proud of myself if I bought another Call of Duty game.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Finally! Another shooter!

hoverdonkey

Ah shurrup you po-faced buggers. It'll be fun and explosive and cinematic. It's not like it pretends to be anything else.

Subtle Mocking

I'd agree with you if you omitted the word 'fun'

VegaLA

Subtle Mocking

I can already smell the paid reviews for this. Some have gone all out 5 out of 5, while others have said it feels the same as MW2.

buntyman

Does anyone know of the best price for this game on the xbox? I'm looking for around the £25 mark if possible

Subtle Mocking

If you're looking for new you've got next to no chance.

buntyman

Somewhere's had them for sale at about that price on release day the previous years.

Subtle Mocking

The supermarkets might be worth a try, they usually have some of the FIFA games pretty cheap at launch too.

glitch

Yeah it's unlikely to be that price for at least a year, unless there's some special price war thing going on at Tesco.

GAME fucked up my delivery so I won't get this until at least tomorrow. Pretty annoyed as it's meant I've been sat in doors all day.

Subtle Mocking

shopto.net is incredibly reliable for in future. Most of the time you get the game the day before release.

mikeyg27

Quote from: buntyman on November 07, 2011, 10:57:30 PM
Does anyone know of the best price for this game on the xbox? I'm looking for around the £25 mark if possible

Eurogamer's got your back. It appears that BestBuy will have it for £29.99 on launch night, but the only way you're going to get it cheap otherwise is by trading in a newish game as well. Although the Tesco offer for selling it cheap if you buy any Xbox Live cards appeals to me since I'm planning to give in and get a Gold membership at last. 

Neil

Any good, then?  Or just more of the same?

Subtle Mocking

If we're going off something like Metacritic, the critics have been kind to it but the public haven't. It seems the consensus is that if you enjoyed the last few games, you'll enjoy this, but don't expect much in the way of huge developments.

madhair60

Quote from: Neil on November 08, 2011, 05:32:47 PM
Any good, then?  Or just more of the same?

More of the same would still be good.

Edit: I suppose I should expand on this.  You're not bashing MW for being MW, of course, but a lot of gamers are very anti-CoD despite them being remarkable and polished experiences.

Should note that I still haven't played BF3.

pk1yen

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on November 08, 2011, 05:34:48 PM
If we're going off something like Metacritic, the critics have been kind to it but the public haven't. It seems the consensus is that if you enjoyed the last few games, you'll enjoy this, but don't expect much in the way of huge developments.

Are people doing raids or something on those MW3 reviews? A suspicious amount of those reviews are 0/10 ... and a lot of the others are 10/10.

I fail to see how it can have an 88% critic score, and 2/10 user score.

A LOT of dramatic over-the-top complaining that it's like MW2 ... but - considering it's a direct sequel, on the same console, when most people seemed to love the first two and lapped up the DLC ... they were hardly going to change everything, were they?
I'm finding it suspicious that so many are complaining that it's similar to the others in the series.

"This game was hyped everywhere. My friends were absolutely hyped for this piece of fecal matter. I was absolutely baffled when I put my copy in my machine. This is THE EXACT SAME GAME as MW2 or Black ops." ---- BUT YOU LIKED THOSE TWO GAMES!

Who the hell looks for boundary-pushing innovation in a mainstream Christmas-time Xbox/PS3 FPS?

Maybe it's just because it's just too soon after Black-Ops. I didn't buy Black-Ops, so, to be honest ... I'm quite looking forward to MW2.5. Because I enjoyed the first two.
Perhaps if I'd played COD last year, I'd be sick of it as well.

Or perhaps a large percentage of COD fans are whining teenagers on the cusp of maturity, who don't know what they want - because they are still too immature to buy anything but FPSs and FIFA games, but have played enough of their identical yearly incarnations to realise they're all the same. So they don't want the same thing, and they don't want anything too new.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting Zelda and Batman and Skyrim for Xmas way more than MW3 anyway.

EDIT: Looking through some more of those ... the 0/10 reviews are just from BF3 fans, aren't they? I had no idea about this COD/BF rivalry until this week.

It's fucking stupid, is what it is.

hoverdonkey

On my phone so cant give full review but I'm a quarter of the way through the SP and it's more of the same, in a good way. The settings are fantastic, so far I've battled through New York, a sub, had a gunfight on a plane (including a wizard bit when the plane starts to fall and it all goes Matrix/Inception) and I'm now I'm Sierra Leone, stealthing it up with the Brits.

The set pieces are astonishing, racing across the harbour in Manhattan and having a gun fight as a plane breaks up are up there with the best action films. Similarly, crawling in the grass as a pick up truck full of rebels drives past in Africa is equally thrilling.

I can see how BF3 is the more complete multiplayer, but I prefer COD because I can jump in and not have to devote hours to get anywhere.

Neil

Someone told me BF3 was also getting very low scores from the public on sites like GameFAQs.  Yes, there's a real rivarly there, and it's mostly tediously self-serving, with CoD-players being characterised as vapid twitch-gamers who, if they get into BF3, end up 'ruining it' by quick-scoping or not playing the objective.  It's been raging for months, mostly in YouTube comments, and I'm sure both games companies have rubbed their hands with glee. 

I'd really love to get MW3, after missing out on Black Ops, but I just don't know if I can justify spending money I can't afford on 'more of the same.'  I don't think it's unreasonable for people to get somewhat annoyed at finding they've paid a lot of money for a game that's not significantly different from one they've previously enjoyed.  From what I've heard it's still using the same engine.  I'll have a read of the reviews, but a compelling single-player campaign won't swing it for me, if the multiplayer is just the same old. 

On the flip side of the coin, I've been reading the EA forums, and those are absolutely fucking hilarious.  The BF forums are populated by a load of people who think BF3 is the worst game in history, simply because it is different from BF2.

Subtle Mocking

I'm in the same dilemma. Also, I'd rather never give Activision another penny. They might be the worst gaming company still operating, milking franchises to death and then throwing them out when they see fit. It'll happen to CoD soon enough. Just before Guitar Hero was put to sleep, they had put out four GH games in the same year. Who knows, maybe I'd give CoD another go if they had a year out and came back with something that didn't just seem like a Christmas toss-off (look at the GTA franchise, for example).

Also, there's a massive over-saturation of FPS games in general. Like a couple of years ago when every other game was a sandbox game. I

Neil

I'm also getting sick of the DLC milking.  There's that premium CoD service that's running now to give you stats, or some shite, and then there's going to be a whole raft of DLC.  Ditto with BF3. 

buntyman

I almost got swept up by the hype of this and initially ordered off the Tesco website (£41 for the game + 2100 xbox points seemed about the best deal going) but then seeing the amount of DLC that is required to get the 'full experience' including 4000 points (£30) for the Elite membership I decided that they can fuck off and I'll rent it for a single player run through. I did enjoy the MW 1&2 games and I thought the online modes were an excellent addition but I think when games start allowing players much better equipment to give them a big advantage over people who haven't paid for the premium content, it becomes unenjoyable.
Zelda on the Wii is the game I'm most excited about at the moment so I think I'll entertain myself with the old Modern Warfare - I haven't played it for a couple of years so have forgotten much about it so I can kid myself it's the new one, until Zelda's out.