Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst last films

Started by AlkyBastard, May 30, 2011, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Roofdog

I remember I went to see The Score at the cinema and that's about it. If Brando had appeared on screen "sans trou" it would've at least been one memorable thing about it.

El Unicornio, mang

I actually really like The Score. Possibly the last good film Norton and De Niro (and by default Brando, who hadn't done anything good since Superman) have acted in.

The Roofdog

Apocalypse Now came out after Superman!

lipsink

For some reason I always find it funny in The Day Today when Chris Morris says "The star of 'Apocalypse Now' and 'Superman'". It just seems like the wrong choices of films to mention (even though both are great, I might add).

jaydee81

Isn't the story that Marlon Brando never wore trousers on film sets so they couldn't get the full extent of his large belly on film?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jaydee81 on June 01, 2011, 10:20:15 AM
Isn't the story that Marlon Brando never wore trousers on film sets so they couldn't get the full extent of his large belly on film?
I think it's more likely he stopped giving a damn after a certain point, knowing he wouldn't get fired from any film due to who he was (his behaviour on the set of "The Island of Dr. Moreau" would seem to bear this out).

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 01, 2011, 10:10:13 AM
Apocalypse Now came out after Superman!

Good point. For some reason I always think of Superman as being a later film than Apocalypse Now.

Zetetic

A rather persistent claim:
QuoteSextette (1978)
One such persistent rumor is that Mae West could not remember any of her lines and had to wear a concealed earpiece under her wig to have her lines fed to her. Dom DeLuise, Timothy Dalton and other principal players have disputed that claim; however, Tony Curtis has supported it, retelling the story in an episode of the program The Dame Edna Experience. He further stated that because of the frequency of her earpiece she accidentally picked up police frequencies, and at one point mistakenly stated, "There's a 608!"

QuoteThe Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)
The constant rewrites also got to Brando's nerve and having no motivation to keep rehearsing new lines, he was equipped with a small radio receiver. Thewlis recollects: "[Marlon would] be in the middle of a scene and suddenly he'd be picking up police messages and would repeat, 'There's a robbery at Woolworths.'"

Any other examples?

The Roofdog

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 01, 2011, 12:58:39 PM
Good point. For some reason I always think of Superman as being a later film than Apocalypse Now.

The making of Apocalypse Now dragged on so long that there's a good chance Brando was done and dusted with it well before he started to film Superman so your point probably stands. Looking at wikipedia it says he retired from acting in 1980 which is news to me, apparently everything after that is officially a special cameo/supporting role.

Ignatius_S

John Candy's last film was Wagons East!, which was absolutely slated – he's actually pretty good though.

Quote from: Zetetic on June 01, 2011, 01:08:26 PM
A rather persistent claim:
Any other examples?
Ha, very nice - sure there must be.

Very glad to see that the entry for Sextette is a little more balanced than the account in West's.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 01, 2011, 01:48:09 PM
John Candy's last film was Wagons East!, which was absolutely slated – he's actually pretty good though.
An early example of CGI'ing a dead person - clips of him from unrelated scenes were inserted into other scenes so it looked as if he was still there, as he didn't complete filming before he died. Very sad end.

momatt

Leslie Nielsen featured in 100 films and 1,500 television programs over the span of his career.
Not seen it, but I doubt Stonerville was his best.  The phrase 'straight-to-video' is rarely a sign of quality.

One of the finest comedy (and serious) actors I've seen on screen, but he wasn't very good at saying "no" to sub-par film-makers.

Spy Hard was one of the most disappointing 81 minutes of my life.

Marty McFly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 01, 2011, 02:35:18 PM
An early example of CGI'ing a dead person - clips of him from unrelated scenes were inserted into other scenes so it looked as if he was still there, as he didn't complete filming before he died. Very sad end.

There's a video here that clearly shows the same footage being re-used.

John Candy Scene Re-Used in "Wagons East"

I haven't seen the film myself, but after watching that and the trailer, and reading about his last days on Findadeath, I really don't want to. Candy looks awful, sweaty and very heavy. Poor man.