Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:27:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeff Mangum reforms

Started by actwithoutwords, June 01, 2011, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

In addition to ATP he's playing Union Chapel in London on the 8th and 9th December.
They went on sale at 12, but the ATP website has been a mess, so I think they might still be available if you're quick.
http://www.atpfestival.com

I got some for the 9th after 45 minutes of hitting refresh. Anyone else going?

Also, Neil, he's playing Whelans in Dublin on the 30th November and tickets go onsale on Friday.

Famous Mortimer

Grumble grumble the UK is more than just London grumble grumble

Duckula

Got tickets for the 9th. If he announces a Scottish show later I'll be fuming, I'll obviously go to it as well though.

I was debating going to the ATP as well but I doubt I can afford it.

chocky909

There are still tickets for both nights. I've never been to Union Chapel for music before. Is it all seating?

chocky909

I thought the pews might be removable... Yeah, I've been there to see Daniel Kitson and it's odd. All seater but first come first served and no drinking in the main area. So people get there early and spread their coats and bags all over the good seats (like German tourists yeah?) and then go next door to the bar until the show starts. It seems like a very nice venue but that does annoy me.

So... can someone keep a good seat for me?

actwithoutwords

Quote from: chocky909 on June 01, 2011, 05:34:07 PM
There are still tickets for both nights.

That's mad. The seetickets allocation was gone in 5 minutes. Must be loads of people who just totally gave up after that. Odd.
Which night are you going? I'd be happy to lay out a beach towel.

Edley

Both nights are now sold out. I would've missed it had it not been for this thread, so cheers!

The Roofdog

I just got tickets for the 8th not 10 minutes ago through the ATP site, unless I snaffled the last ones there are still some available.

EDIT: Looks like I got the last batch, I really am so very truly sorry

sen

Damnit, damnit all to hell.

Edley

I can't promise anything now but I might have a spare ticket nearer the time if anyone here is desperate.

Waking Life

I was hoping he'd do a proper tour, although still early doors.  Hopefully some of the other bands on the ATP bill will anyway, as doubt I'll be attending.

Little Hoover

Union Chapel sold out with sub-human scum already selling them on e-bay.

Duckula

There's a Dublin date that went on sale today as well if anyone fancies that.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Little Hoover on June 03, 2011, 10:42:12 AM
Union Chapel sold out with sub-human scum already selling them on e-bay.

crackityjones11 has 12 tickets up on there the fucking cockweasel.

Edley

Let's hope ATP makes good on this promise: "Any attempts to sell tickets on Ebay or other auction or secondary ticket sites at inflated prices will lead to your ticket order being cancelled." Unlikely but you never know...

danyulx

I hope to  Christ all this is a precursor to a return to recording for him. Quite likelly I think.. something seems brewing. The prospect of a new Neutral Milk Hotel album (or a "solo album", whatever, same thing) is one of the few prospects in this life that gets me genuinely excited..

QuotePitchfork (2002): What happened to the songs you wrote after Aeroplane ? Will you ever use them?

Jeff: I don't know if I'll use them or not. Probably not. They are what they are, but I just feel really different now. One weird thing about those songs is that they were so linear. They weren't abstract in any way, and they weren't really fragmented, either. They just came out like [makes long farting noise].

At this point, Jeff goes into a long monologue describing some of the images and reciting some of the lyrics in the songs, which include a hermaphrodite girl and a boy whose consciousness shrinks to a small point and birds start being born out of his face. The lyrics are terrible and beautiful in the way so many of Jeff's lyrics are, but these are definitely a bit more story-like and disturbing than his usual fare. They have been edited out at Jeff's request.

chocky909

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 02, 2011, 02:52:49 AM
That's mad. The seetickets allocation was gone in 5 minutes. Must be loads of people who just totally gave up after that. Odd.
Which night are you going? I'd be happy to lay out a beach towel.

Not sure yet. I panicked and bought a couple for each night so I'll wait and see if I can drag anyone I know along. I prefer weekdays usually but it's easier to get others to a Friday show. I'll definately get in touch with you if I go to the Friday one. It's be nice to meet up with anyone else too.

sen

Some tickets for a Boston show here going for $5,600. http://bit.ly/miGxaa Surely he can't be happy with that.

chocky909

You've got to admire their optimism...

Incandenza

Bump for this enormous box set that he's self releasing: http://walkingwallofwords.com/

With postage it works out as £85, which is more than I can afford, and yet, I have bought it.

Duckula

Is that likely to sell out? It says it ships at the end of November so would I be okay ordering it around then?

Incandenza

Not sure; yesterday I heard they had 10000, and they'd already sold half. I know all the drawings are gone.

Vitalstatistix

Do you think yer man just wants a fancy new kitchen or something?

Lyndon

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on August 28, 2011, 05:44:23 PM
Do you think yer man just wants a fancy new kitchen or something?

How dare you. He has touched so many hearts.

http://i.imgur.com/PDoXe.jpg

I wish I'd booked tickets for the gig but I had no money at the time. That album got me into music. Before that I didn't get the fuss.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: chocky909 on June 01, 2011, 05:49:31 PM
I thought the pews might be removable... Yeah, I've been there to see Daniel Kitson and it's odd. All seater but first come first served and no drinking in the main area. So people get there early and spread their coats and bags all over the good seats (like German tourists yeah?) and then go next door to the bar until the show starts. It seems like a very nice venue but that does annoy me.

So... can someone keep a good seat for me?

I'm sorry but WHAT? This is fucking bullshit, can't you just walk over and shove their shit on the floor? If they're attending a gig that they are so vehemently excited about, you'd think they wouldn't be such hipstery pricks and actually sit there and hold the seats. If you're at a gig you keep your spot by fucking standing/sitting there and not just putting an article of clothing there. I don't care if those fuckers were standing at the end of the pew and watching me waltz right over and sweeping their shit all over the floor: if you are not in that place, I am fucking taking that place. I also don't give a fuck if you want a drink, because that is the sacrifice you make at a gig. Jesus fucking christ this has pissed me off a lot. FUCK.

actwithoutwords

Marvin

The Roofdog