Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Funny and interesting behind the scenes photos

Started by AlkyBastard, June 06, 2011, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlkyBastard

You may have seen these before, but they're always worth a look.

Roddy McDowell between takes on Planet of the Apes.

Francis Ford Coppola down in the dumps on Apocalypse Now.

Special effects for The Empire Strikes Back.

George Lucas in his pre-digital days.

The gunshot rigging for The Godfather.

Stanley Kubrick with Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood on the rotating set of 2001.

So that's how they did it.

Ghostbusters, obviously.

Sellers and Kubrick. The Dr Strangelove glove was Kubrick's own.

The Space Jockey set was much smaller than it appeared.

There's one illusion ruined.

Not pictured: Shelley Duvall cowering in fear.

Preparation for the real-life car chase in The French Connection.

Inside Maria from Metropolis.

Anyone have any good ones they'd like to share?

momatt

These are all fantastic, cheers!  I think that ruins so many illusions, but I love them.  The Star Wars titles look particularly crappy.

Boris Karloff drinking tea was the first thing that sprung to mind.

There's loads of similar great pics from the Empire Strikes back book here. 
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2010/10/the-making-of-the-empire-strikes-back-201010

This is my favourite, again it totally ruins that scene:

jaydee81

And yet it enhances it, because if it is genuine, at least its not Darth Vader stood in front of a giant green screen.

jaydee81

Quote from: AlkyBastard on June 06, 2011, 01:29:18 PM

Special effects for The Empire Strikes Back.

I actually thought this was a sarcastic comment at first.

The Masked Unit

This has automatically become one of my favourite threads ever based on the OP. Where are you getting these from?

AlkyBastard

Wow Momatt, that Vanity Fair link is great. The Masked Unit, I just pick them up as I browse around really. Here are some more illusion-buggering Star Wars ones.

Yoda, Frank Oz, and Lucas

Yes, that's an elephant

David Prowse

Kenny Baker

Kenny Baker again

Anthony Daniels

Peter Mayhew

Chewbacca, sans Peter Mayhew

Old Nehamkin

Why is Yoda being operated by Tobias Fünke?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 06, 2011, 05:23:42 PM
Why is Yoda being operated by Tobias Fünke?

Heh, I thought exactly the same thing.

Aintitcoolnews has been running a behind the scenes shot of the day feature for a fair while now, so you can find more there.

Cohaagen

Coming in under "interesting" rather than "funny", here's practically all the known photos of James Remar as Hicks in Aliens from the few days he spent on set before being replaced by Michael Biehn due to alleged drug piggery[nb]Remar's autobiography contains an unusual and hilarious anecdote, which may or may not be entirely true, about him bumping into James Cameron in a London nightclub post-sacking as the director busted some serious disco moves on the dancefloor in a knitted sweater, the revellers actually forming a circle round him as he body-popped and did a ferocious interpretation of The Robot[/nb]

Goldentony

I'm quite fond of this picture - the film has it's flaws but Tim Curry's performance throughout is unbeatable, so much so the crew and cast apparently avoided him for a good amount of filming. Most of all though, information and any kind of behind the scenes info on IT seems to be a bit thin on the ground so seeing this surfance not long back was very exciting -

AlkyBastard

Cerys

Quote from: AlkyBastard on June 06, 2011, 10:38:40 PM

Fondling an alien queen ... that must be one hell of an experience.

Fantastic :)

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Cohaagen on June 06, 2011, 06:30:14 PM
Coming in under "interesting" rather than "funny", here's practically all the known photos of James Remar as Hicks in Aliens from the few days he spent on set before being replaced by Michael Biehn due to alleged drug piggery[nb]Remar's autobiography contains an unusual and hilarious anecdote, which may or may not be entirely true, about him bumping into James Cameron in a London nightclub post-sacking as the director busted some serious disco moves on the dancefloor in a knitted sweater, the revellers actually forming a circle round him as he body-popped and did a ferocious interpretation of The Robot[/nb]

Few more here

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rzdB5a4kLAo/RqUvziNoKOI/AAAAAAAADAw/njG7B3rOaS8/s1600-h/ALIENS_JamesRemar.jpg

And John Finch as Kane in Alien

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rzdB5a4kLAo/RqUvyiNoKNI/AAAAAAAADAo/n0Waxw2RA6U/s1600-h/ALIEN_JohnFinch.jpg