Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

E3 Expo 2011

Started by Nik Drou, June 07, 2011, 01:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nik Drou

Thoughts so far:

The new Tomb Raider game looks like an Uncharted rip-off with intrusive voice-work and a wholly undeserved 'serious tone'.  Within minutes of
Spoiler alert
getting needlessly impaled on a metal spike, and tugging it out by tapping the 'X' button repeatedly, Lara Croft is running and climbing with the best of them, while attempting to solve puzzles that now seem absurdly malapropos.  There's even a bit where you set fire to some kindling in a river in order to burn down a structure and progress to the next bit.  That's right, you set fire to wet kindling.  It doesn't get more gritty than that.
[close]

Tomb Raider 2012 Gameplay - E3 2011 Presentation

The new Star Wars Kinect game looks laughably clunky.  To think that the same people who mocked the Star Wars Kid will get their jollies from something like this.  Doesn't bear thinking about, really.

Star Wars Kinect - E3 2011: Gameplay Demo

The trailer for the new Tom Clancy game takes military fetishism to an absurd and unpleasant nadir.

E3 2011- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soilder

Sony's new handheld, now called Vita, has plenty of nice features and is fairly competitively priced, but people probably still won't buy it because they've already got an iPhone.

Uncharted 3 looks great.

Halo 4 will be another Halo game.

Far Cry 3 looks good but, coming after the latest episode of the new Adam Curtis doc, seems in very poor taste.  Also, having watched the whole thing now,
Spoiler alert
it's a little redundant, isn't it?  You go through all that only to end up back where you started?  That isn't very appealing, from either a story or a gameplay perspective.  Wouldn't the guy just shoot you after that anyway?
[close]

Far Cry 3 - E3 2011: Gameplay Trailer

Anything else?

I accept the terms of the

All of those games look like shit for macho cunts. Was there any coverage of games without guns?

mikeyg27

It's over. Games are over. There's no coming back from this.

Hasn't been that much of interest so far, really. A lot of games with the number '3' in the title and that's about it. Is Nintendo's keynote today? At the very least their new console should provide something different.

The only thing I care about from E3 so far is Saints Row 3 (or Saints Row The Third, for some reason):

Saints Row The Third E3 2011 Trailer [HD]

King Crimson + Saints Row... never thought I'd see the day.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Is there anything that looks even remotely like an adventure/rpg (non D&D style preferably) to get excited about? Extra hype points for dystopian/alternate reality elements.*

*Fallout Downloadable Content no longer counts.

Still Not George

Not that I've seen, Mass Effect 3 notwithstanding.

Nik Drou

Wii 2, or rather,
Spoiler alert
Wii U
[close]
, just announced..

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/e3-live.html

Jamie Oliver is fat

I hope Sony and Microsoft get bored of these motion devices soon.

If I wanted to move around I'd go outside and do something.

eluc55

I say this as a Nintendo fanboy who has never had anything but Nintendo consoles, but seriously, this looks laughable.

DocDaneeka

Yup looks a bit shite. They should have supported the motion plus properly instead of releasing another peripheral.

Nik Drou

I don't think it's a peripheral, it's a new console.

eluc55

yeah new console. HD graphics, seemingly more "hardcore" games, but that controller just looks ludicrous, and I cant imagine how it can possibly make any worthwhile improvement to games. Draw on a mans face, play it with the tv off, hooray!

I accept the terms of the

It's their new implementation of 3D. You just move the thing closer to your face.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: Nik Drou on June 07, 2011, 06:12:08 PM
I don't think it's a peripheral, it's a new console.
Ah that makes a bit more sense, I shouldn't have listened to that annoying gametrailers twitter stream.

Neil

I knew they'd bring out a new Madcatz stick right after I got my own imported.  However, does it have lenticular Chun-tits and a dragon, in a translucent blue case?  No, so fuck it.

Still Not George

I have begun referring to it as the "Wiiaboo" and expect the entire Internets to follow suit shortly.

Consignia

Quote from: Still Not George on June 07, 2011, 09:01:53 PM
I have begun referring to it as the "Wiiaboo" and expect the entire Internets to follow suit shortly.

Surely, Nintendo's No U.

momatt

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on June 07, 2011, 05:49:25 PM
I hope Sony and Microsoft get bored of these motion devices soon.

If I wanted to move around I'd go outside and do something.

So true!  Does anyone ever actually play those 'familly' games where you're meant to take it in turns to dance like a twat in your living room?  If so, society is more doomed that I thought.

Still Not George

Someone's version of "E3 in a nutshell":

I've been watching the twitter feeds from some of the journos out there. It's all a bit depressingly "wow, amazing pretty colours at the Nintendo booth!" and other similarly deep insights.

Given the dearth of information, any negativity people feel towards any preview announcement of any kind can only stem from your own shit perspective of your own shit existence.

On the other hand, I find it all mildly exciting because I'm mildly optimistic about my own mildly exciting existence.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Still Not George on June 08, 2011, 01:01:02 PM
Someone's version of "E3 in a nutshell":

Unless they've been watching a different E3, I don't get it. Do they mean Nintendo and their old-gen Fisher Price machine? I don't mean to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, I hate the company, but all they've done is be a bit dull this year, as far as I can see. Nintendo though... dear, dear.

See above. Your life must be rubbish.

Jemble Fred

Seen above. Still bollocks.

Still Not George

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 08, 2011, 02:59:30 PM
Unless they've been watching a different E3, I don't get it. Do they mean Nintendo and their old-gen Fisher Price machine? I don't mean to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, I hate the company, but all they've done is be a bit dull this year, as far as I can see. Nintendo though... dear, dear.

Don't ask me, I just find a guy poking himself in the eye funny. Maybe it's a reference to the sheer quantity of Kinect shite.

Spiteface

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on June 07, 2011, 01:59:50 PM
All of those games look like shit for macho cunts. Was there any coverage of games without guns?

Sonic Generations, which I had started a thread on some time ago.  Sega unveiled a "new" stage (as new as HD reworkings of old Sonic levels can be, anyway) at E3.  It looks lovely, and "classic" Sonic is adorable.

Everything I've seen thus far points to it being Sonic unleashed minus the werehog bits.  But that won't stop people bitching, nothing ever does regarding Sonic.

madhair60

Quote from: Spiteface on June 08, 2011, 06:53:55 PM
But that won't stop people bitching, nothing ever does regarding Sonic.

He's been shit since Sonic Adventure, and only sporadic handheld games and recently Sonic Colours seem to be the exceptions.  Please forgive me for accurately expecting godawful tat from a franchise that should have been put down years ago.

I love Sonic, me.