Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Duke Nukem Forever

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, June 07, 2011, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Nukem opinions

I'll buy it
I'll rent it
I'm not interested - It looks like total shite
Can't wait for it
Soiled votes

Depressed Beyond Tables

Duke Nukem Forever. E3 2011: Launch Trailer HD Jun 2, 2011

Any thoughts on this? Will it be worth getting?

It's out on the 10th June apparently.

Big Jack McBastard

I'll believe it when I see it on a shelf, with a disc in it.

Slaaaaabs

S'fuckin' shite mate.

Well the demo is any way.

I accept the terms of the

It's so fucking childish. I know I'm missing the point and it's not aimed at me, but the fact that there are adults who can get something out of a burly man saying "Raaaarrrrrr, titties and murder!" really disappoints me.

Slaaaaabs

I'll play a childish game as long as it is a good one, Saints Row The Third looks hilariously stupid but also immense fun, Duke Forever plays like every other cheapass Unreal Engine 3 game out there.

Obel

Hah, looks dogshit. There's no way this could ever live upto 12 years dev time anyway. The expectation is too much.

I accept the terms of the

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on June 07, 2011, 11:12:32 PM
I'll play a childish game as long as it is a good one
Totally, but from what I've heard the theming is all it has going for it.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Demo is complete bollocks, just lost what would have been a guaranteed sale if they just modernised DN3D.

HappyTree

It's only a matter of time before games use LA Noire motion capture technology on real naked women. Until then, we have bad animations and a disgusting three-breasted alien with the incongruous comment "I'd still hit it."

This looks crap. But then I'm not a fan of raunchy FPSes. Bulletstorm demo was just as bad.

Subtle Mocking

Reviews are agreeing that it's not that good. No game should take that long. It's Duke Nukem, not fucking Shenmue.

Little Hoover

To be fair, it's not like it's truly taken 14 years or whatever. Just seems like gearbox saw a great opportunity by just buying a game that has a an in-built marketing dream. The foundations for the game have already been built and so all it left them to do is to quickly make a functional FPS and enjoy all the money it brings.

Because it's getting shit reviews, yet probably will sell pretty well to start with, I imagine it will be £10 in a matter of months. I shall wait.

Spiteface

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on June 07, 2011, 10:49:16 PM
It's so fucking childish. I know I'm missing the point and it's not aimed at me, but the fact that there are adults who can get something out of a burly man saying "Raaaarrrrrr, titties and murder!" really disappoints me.

I never saw the appeal in Duke Nukem 3D, to be honest.  And I agree with what you just said here, but then again, I loved Namco's remake of Splatterhouse, and that very much revelled in it's blood, guts[nb]any game where you can rip a demon's spine out through it's arse is fine with me![/nb] n' tits (as a side-quest you can collect pieces of nude photographs of Jennifer, the main character's girlfriend) excesses.  This however, seems incredibly dated now.

chand

Quote from: Spiteface on June 12, 2011, 01:20:38 PM
I never saw the appeal in Duke Nukem 3D, to be honest. 

As a multiplayer FPS it was fucking brilliant, I thought. Me and a friend used to hook up our PCs back to back and play Doom and Duke Nukem deathmatches all day, and Duke Nukem seemed to have more variety, there was more verticality to it, fun weapons, hidden areas and one-way walls, laser tripwires and so on.

Having played a bit of this new one, am slightly surprised by how much it's rationed out the fun. The opening half hour has you kill one huge bad guy right at the start, but after that it's a long time before you get a gun. There's a lot of scene-setting walking around of the kind that FPS games have felt honour bound to include ever since Half-Life.

Little Hoover

Was it ever really that popular at the time? I feel like it's only gained in popularity because of becoming a meme. The 2d platform games were much better.

madhair60

Quote from: Little Hoover on June 12, 2011, 03:25:17 PM
Was it ever really that popular at the time?

Duke Nukem 3D?  Yeah.  It was ported to every system going, pretty much.  Saturn, N64, Playstation.  Even the Game.com had its own version.  Tons of sequels too, Time To Kill, Zero Hour, Land of the Babes etc.

QuoteThe 2d platform games were much better.

No, they weren't.  They weren't awful (and I grew up with them), but they weren't a patch on 3D's inventiveness and complexity.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I never actually played it myself, but I remember Duke Nukem 3D seeming quite groundbreaking at the time because of the environments looking more like actual places, rather than the more contrived levels of Doom.

Little Hoover

The thing is I was playing them when I was too young, I don't think I got that far into it and I didn't really fully comprehend what was going on in some of the more sexual aspects of it. (I don't think my parents realized some of what it entailed) and with my limited understanding of games technology, I didn't really understand why much of it was good at the time. So the fact that it looked like a bit like an actual city didn't really mean anything to me. So even though I don't seriously hold onto the belief that the 2d games were better, that was my genuine opinion at the age of 9 or 10.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was only 12 or so myself at the time, so I didn't really think of it in any real depth either. Back then though, the holy grail of gaming for me was the sandbox idea, which Duke 3d seemed like a big step towards. It had toilets!

Now, of course, the sandbox thing has been done so, given its frosty reception, this new game holds little interest to me.

Ignatius_S

The PR company handling a game, tweeted that it was keeping an eye on reviews and would be adjusting access to future games accordingly... 2K has announced that the company no longer has any connection to them.

mcbpete

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 16, 2011, 11:50:27 AM
The PR company handling a game, tweeted that it was keeping an eye on reviews and would be adjusting access to future games accordingly... 2K has announced that the company no longer has any connection to them.
Full story here - http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/117/1176527p1.html

Ignatius_S

Cheers - I hadn't read the full statement.

The first thing I read was over at Ars Technica, which was updated to reflect that 2K statement. I found this article was interesting as it touched upon blacklists - also, the writer got Jim Redner to comment on the situation, which is worth a quick look.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Little Hoover on June 11, 2011, 01:06:21 AM
To be fair, it's not like it's truly taken 14 years or whatever. Just seems like gearbox saw a great opportunity by just buying a game that has a an in-built marketing dream. The foundations for the game have already been built and so all it left them to do is to quickly make a functional FPS and enjoy all the money it brings.
A decent synopsis of the long and tortured development of the game can be found at http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/the-death-and-rebirth-of-duke-nukem-forever-a-history.ars/