Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Really dreadful book covers

Started by Phil_A, June 08, 2011, 11:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtheburger

I think this Chinese book has misprinted the romanised title of this book:

marquis_de_sad

I think they're referring to Jordan's cooking ability, you lacist.

Incidentally, the book has the seemingly serious title "Basketball Study Skills" and promises "correct rules and explanations of theories of technique" and to "practically demonstrate the rudiments of technique". It also says "
Spoiler alert
FRYING GOD
[close]
" in case you didn't notice.[/sub]

billtheburger

& that is the actual book cover.
I've not skillfully tampered it for a shitty joke.
I just found it at work and scanned the cover.

billtheburger

Glebe

How one Fighting Fantasy classic is represented in the Land of the Rising Sun:

Famous Mortimer

billtheburger

I rediscovered that book in December and my first thought was "quick stick it in the dreadful book covers".
I scanned it.
Uploaded it to photobucket.
Searched for this thread.
Lo & behold, it was already here.

billtheburger

Lord of The Flies:

This represents a literal translation of the text "a great ape" - there are no gorillas (or apes, really) in Lord of the Flies.

Custard

Not a book, but this week's NME is quite the eyesore

marquis_de_sad

What is the name of that type of illustration? Hipster puke?

Dannyhood91

Pit-Pat

Christ yes, the man is obscene in his weird, glassy handsomeness.

Those Uncle Ben's adverts on Facebook that he fronts are so horribly unnatural - he looks like a man digitally engineered to be sexy and unthreatening.

Serge

Hell yes, I was unaware of the fucker until we started selling shitloads of them at work. I think I'm right in saying that the first 'Lean In 15' book is the bestselling book of the year so far. I might do a book called 'Fat In 5' with pictures of me eating a mixed grill on every page.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Serge on June 30, 2016, 08:04:39 PM
Hell yes, I was unaware of the fucker until we started selling shitloads of them at work. I think I'm right in saying that the first 'Lean In 15' book is the bestselling book of the year so far. I might do a book called 'Fat In 5' with pictures of me eating a mixed grill on every page.

Aren't you worried that the majesty of the occasion befits it occupying a finite moment in time?

I worry that capturing your mixed grill eating for posterity would reduce it somehow.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on June 30, 2016, 04:39:02 PM
My new arch-nemesis

Mark Ruffalo's done himself up, possibly in preparation for that all-star Hollywood version of Jesus Christ Superstar the world's not been waiting for.

Serge

Quote from: Pit-Pat on July 01, 2016, 11:42:04 AM
Aren't you worried that the majesty of the occasion befits it occupying a finite moment in time?

I worry that capturing your mixed grill eating for posterity would reduce it somehow.

I think if I mix it up with pictures of me eating fish & chips, pork pies and swiss rolls that that will help matters. With occasional shots of me being carried away from the table on a flatbed truck to go and sleep it off.

Serge

Something that we've remarked on at work a few times - why have so many thrillers got black and yellow covers these days?

If you stack them all together it makes for one hell of a bland display. 'The Girl On The Train' nearly goes this way, but does have a splash of red which nearly saves it. Though it does fall into the other trap for modern thriller writers - that of having the word 'Girl' in the title rather than 'Woman', given that the person being referred to is usually an adult.

mothman

I recall Private Eye having s recurring feature on recurring design tropes in current popular fiction. Shadowy distant figures walking to it from your POV was one.

Serge

Oh yeah, that's a very common one. I noticed that becoming a theme on a fairly recent rejacketing of all the Jo Nesbø books:

I don't mind them so much, I really disliked the ones before which would usually have a woman looking mildly worried on the cover, which reached their nadir with 'The Leopard', with a cover that makes it look like a Martina Cole novel and certainly makes me think that whoever designed it has never read the book:

marquis_de_sad

Disappointing to see that the shit Banksy style is still persisting: