Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What was that game?

Started by Big Jack McBastard, June 11, 2011, 01:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

Could be a repository for ill remembered titles.. buuut

I'm after the name of the online game/thing which a few folk from here played for a while years back. It had a board of words which a user picked from and combined them to create clues or quotes/phrases and the rest of the players would take guesses at the theme or film or whatever the hot-seat player was trying to get across.

Think there were other versions of it, game modes and such.

Anyone know what I'm on about? Think it had a purple background if that's any help.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Big Jack McBastard

As usual a veritable font of helpful information.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

It was Psychobabble by PopCap games

Big Jack McBastard

Ta ETT that's the one.

Might knock up another thread for that to bring players in, I'm up for it.

Slaaaaabs

I'm playing at the moment, it'as good fun

I've been playing this for two hours now...

Big Jack McBastard

I started a thread in General Bullshit to attract players...

The Masked Unit

Can we turn this into a general "What was that game" thread now? I'll be blown away if anyone can name this game based on this description:

An early 90's PC game, played on my mate's dad's 486. It was a side scrolling adventure type game, and I believe it had "Crystal" in the title, or crystals featured in the game at the very least. The main character was a grown man, potentially with a beard, and there was potentially some kind of space ship in it.

Famous Mortimer

Sounds a bit like one all my mates were obsessed with around the same time called "Moonstone"? Or something to do with moons, and stones.

madhair60

Quote from: The Masked Unit on June 13, 2011, 10:05:20 AM
Can we turn this into a general "What was that game" thread now? I'll be blown away if anyone can name this game based on this description:

An early 90's PC game, played on my mate's dad's 486. It was a side scrolling adventure type game, and I believe it had "Crystal" in the title, or crystals featured in the game at the very least. The main character was a grown man, potentially with a beard, and there was potentially some kind of space ship in it.

Crystal Caves?  No beard, but everything else fits.

Crystal Caves by Apogee Software

The Masked Unit

Nope, it was neither of those. Moonstone is on the right tracks visually but it bore no resemblance to Crystal Caves. I think it might have had some element of space and/or time travel in it, and perhaps some kind of Lizard-man enemies? My memory of it is remarkably vague.

Consignia

I would have said Crystal Caves too, but since not it sounds a bit Captain Comic-ish.

The Masked Unit

Definitely not Captain Comic. I'm also starting to think that I might be completely over-egging the crystal element, and that maybe either you or your enemies lived in a crystal palace or something.   

madhair60

The Masked Unit

madhair60

Was it a platform game?  Like, was the principal focus on jumping over things?  Did you cast spells or use melee weapons?

Try this, there's a lot of PC crossover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA#

It sounds a bit like the Amiga's "Twinworld", which has the best music ever, actually.

The Masked Unit

I know this doesn't help matyters, but I really don't recall what the principle focus was. I think the man had a sword though, but I certainly wouldn't call it a platformer. I'll have a look at that vid. Cheers.

Rev

It's 'The Kristal', a pretty but tedious adventure game that had Patrick Moore giving some voice in it and everything.  I can't remember much about the plot of the thing, but I definitely remember that if you walked your character over to the right of the area you started in and just left him standing there for a few minutes, his trousers would eventually fall down.

The Masked Unit

Bingo! Well done Rev. Dancis Frake indeed, and starring Frank Zappa no less!

Big Jack McBastard

Here's another, a hazily remembered ZX-Spectrum one, single word title (I'm pretty sure), late 80s I think, a platformer/shooter affair with green enemies/aliens, (lots of green in general as I recall). There might have been teleportation arches.

Can't remember any other features, but I keep thinking the enemies made a 'Debedebedebe' kind of noise, but I may have made that up.

Big Jack McBastard

Got it in one, thank you sir/missus

babyshambler

This one is most likely a long, long shot. It may even have been a demo, free on the front of a magazine, I'm not sure.

I remember playing a game with a friend on his Amiga that was split screen and involved you both running around a little maze type environment from a top-down angle trying to shoot each other with little bouncing bullets. They'd even bounce off the walls and if you were hit you're character would emit a little 'bleh!' type sound before dying. Man, if there was an emulator of that one I'd be loving it.

Something I played on my old 486 (or possibly 386?) - it was a sort of quiz show but featured alien contestants, that you could create yourself. There was some kind of card game involved too.

Big Jack McBastard

This one is even more terribly remembered which is a bit concerning as it was more recent, a Megadrive/Genesis game, a side scrolling affair, you play an android or robot of some sort (supported two players I think) and you could choose the armaments on the end of each of your arms, or cannibalize the weapons your enemies dropped and whack them on the end of your wrists in place of your old gear

I seem to remember a combination of melee (maces on chains for example) and fired weapons, perhaps even a division of physical projectiles and energy based ones. so it was possible have any combination of these arms which would damage to different enemies in different ways (yer basic: Rock,paper,scissors).

Can't recall any plot, or if there even was one.