Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:23:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2011/2012

Started by Tokyo Sexwhale, June 12, 2011, 04:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tourist

Rooney[nb]Nathan Charles of Wolves[/nb] available for free!

Utter Shit

Quote from: actwithoutwords on June 16, 2011, 11:57:29 AM
Bébé's off I see: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rorysmith/100017342/the-curtain-closes-on-the-curious-case-of-bebe-manchester-uniteds-lost-boy/

Besiktas can buy him for 2m after the loan. What was that stuff about him being 'one for the future' and a 'long term project', and definitely, definitely not a ludicrous mistake?
It was just a sweetener for Jorge Mendes apparently. A very stupid one if true.

The Tourist

That makes sense. Well not sense, exactly, but more sense than thinking Bébé might be good enough to play for one of the world's top teams.

actwithoutwords

That whole thing looked dodgy as fuck at the time. Moving for fuck all between Portuguese clubs and within weeks being sold on for 7.5 million quid after Mendes became his agent. All without United's manager even seeing a video of him play. And now shipped off within a year. Goodness knows what went on, but it's either scarcely believable incompetence or it's dodgy as fuck.

Eis Nein

The Ferguson clan were stitched up by the Beeb, leading to Lord Ferg's noble, silent stand against their scurrilous tattle.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteBesiktas can buy him for 2m after the loan. What was that stuff about him being 'one for the future' and a 'long term project', and definitely, definitely not a ludicrous mistake?

It just proves Manchester United fans have spent so long in ridiculously ultra-defensive 'discussions' with Liverpool fans where the victor concedes the least ground, that they can no longer tell when the club actually has just fucked up.

In fact, 'no longer' probably isn't the right expression, as most of us who watched David Bellion can remember.

I expect mealy mouthed excuses from the club and the board, but when the fans start doing it on their behalf you begin to understand just what an atrociously fucking awful beast Manchester United have become.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: the midnight watch baboon on June 16, 2011, 12:40:02 PM
Interesting list of players available on a free this summer, Woodgate, Hargreaves, Upson, Vieira and many more...

http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/14/79/0,,12306~162068,00.pdf

Arsenal have released Tom Cruise!

Subtle Mocking

Relieved that we've finally released him but I do feel sorry for Hargreaves. He was brilliant before he fell victim to injury.

Subtle Mocking

Tokyo Sexwhale

Queneau

Last game of the season at Carrow Road. That might be the only game I bother with this season. Does that make me a cunt?

Does anyone watch Press Pass on ESPN?

It's odd to see such an insightful, intelligent Football discussion show on television. I'm going to be one of those Footballing snobs, and  from now on get all my news from Football365, Tim Vickery's blogs, the Guardian podcasts with James Richardson and Press Pass.

rjd2

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on June 17, 2011, 07:32:05 PM
Does anyone watch Press Pass on ESPN?

It's odd to see such an insightful, intelligent Football discussion show on television. I'm going to be one of those Footballing snobs, and  from now on get all my news from Football365, Tim Vickery's blogs, the Guardian podcasts with James Richardson and Press Pass.

Isn't football 365 for plebs as well?

Utter Shit

It's alright but is a little too self-regarding. It manages to not take football too seriously without turning into a shit "wacky" site that "takes a sideways/wry look at football news".

MissInformed

So both Brighton matches are evening games? Thanks a fucking lot. Whose fucking bright idea was that then???

rjd2

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 17, 2011, 11:17:00 PM
It's alright but is a little too self-regarding. It manages to not take football too seriously without turning into a shit "wacky" site that "takes a sideways/wry look at football news".

Aye I don't mind it myself I was just shocked that someone considered it somewhat highbrow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It turns out Newcastle's transfer policy has become 'sign players our fans know fuck all about so can't whinge'.

Anyone know whether these dudes are good, or the next Cacapas and Rozenhals?

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 18, 2011, 10:12:41 AM
It turns out Newcastle's transfer policy has become 'sign players our fans know fuck all about so can't whinge'.

Anyone know whether these dudes are good, or the next Cacapas and Rozenhals?

Marveaux apparently either failed his Liverpool medical, or at least passed it so barely Liverpool offered him reduced terms on his contract.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Was Chris Hughton literally the sole individual bringing sanity to St James' and if so, can he come back?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's the Spurs fans avatars sorted for the next few months.

Modric is certainly replaceable. If you are looking for similar players of his skillset and stature then look no further then Marko Marin or Xherdan Shaqiri.

Rafael van der Vaart produced 13 goals and 9 assists. Bale scored 7 goals. Crouch produced 9 assists. Modric contributed a modest 3 goals and 3 assists. Considering our big problem was unlocking defences of teams from the bottom half of the table and creating chances for our strikers then Modric was one of those who underachieved.

With Kyle Walker looking likely to get thrown in to the First Team next season it looks likely that two holding midfielders will be deployed, with someone else playing alongside Sandro (Scott Parker?), and most of the attacks coming from dynamic wide play.

Having said that this saga could drag on all summer like the Rooney and Fabregas situations in the last couple of seasons, and Modric might even stay.

rudi

Hmm, that's neatly ignoring the fact he played much deeper this year to accomodate VdV though.

I'm gutted; he still has 5 (4?) years on his damn contract.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Goals and assists? Mmm, true, but I heard he passes the ball to people too. Useful in a team with Palacios and Huddlerock in.

rudi

Don't mince your words, Dan...

Balls as big as my balls to make that call.

Herbert Ashe

Quote from: MissInformed on June 17, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
So both Brighton matches are evening games? Thanks a fucking lot. Whose fucking bright idea was that then???

What the Fixture ComputerTM giveth[nb]Doncaster Rovers, 14 years, 4 months later and all that.[/nb], it taketh away. Or something.

It does seem slightly mad, though. It's the first league evening game at Falmer, which really should have been someone southern but benign (Watford, Reading) to make sure Southern Railway. don't totally implode. Anyway, just over 100 days, I am proper fucking excited about this one.

rudi

I'm thinking I might swing by Falmer for the opener. It's a cracking venue from the outside.