Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:14:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mass Effect 3

Started by HappyTree, June 15, 2011, 06:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glitch

I've got that in grey. Pretty good quality, it's just a hoody to those that don't get the reference.

VegaLA

Did anyone DL the Demo of this yesterday? Aparantly you get free GOLD (membership) until the game is released.

Jerzy Bondov

I went through the single-player bit with a weird misshapen headed bint I made. Seems very similar to ME2, though the upgrade trees are a little more complex, and all the Gears of War style rolling about on the floor is appreciated. Couldn't really find much use for the new super-stab melee move. I couldn't bring myself to use the voice commands with my girlfriend in the room. I'll wait until she goes out and then spend some time shouting at Garrus to see how that works. I suppose I should have a go at the multi-player bit, but I can't get myself excited for it. I just want to cruise around the galaxy in my cool spaceship wooing aliens.

Neil

Still have to pick up ME2 pre-owned, hopefully nice and cheap now, so I've skipped the single-player, and and am playing the multiplayer. Boy, Gears has had some influence on the gaming scene, eh?

Still Not George

I can't get the MP to work, I just get booted from whatever quickplay I try to get into. Meh, not arsed (but no cigs).

Pete23

Anyone who's pre-ordered Mass Effect 3 from Game, the news is not good:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/29/game-to-not-stock-mass-effect-3-for-launch/

It hasn't been announced yet, but it might also be the same for Gamestation. Unfortunately I can't see either of them lasting the year.

Subtle Mocking

Just posted a thread on that. Not looking good for either of them.

Didn't GAME have exclusivity on the collector's edition too? That's gonna hurt.

Subtle Mocking

EDIT: Game have said they're offering full refunds and £5 store credit for cancelled pre-orders, not full store credit as originally thought.

Ignatius_S

Well, it seems to be getting perfect scores from critics, whilst the majority of users are slating the game on Metacritic. With the latter, reviews have been taken down but currently, there are 782 negative comments, 46 mixed and 319 positive for the PC; the PS3 has a similar ration whilst it's even stevens for the 360.

I've noticed that some are posting negative or positive reviews for all formats... nice.

There do seem technical problems, particularly on the PC version and this is a source of displeasure for some.

EA/Bioware are working on a fix for issues with the import character function – in the meantime, it's advising that a fan-made tool be used as a solution.

Bit of a spoiler about whether it's worth importing characters -
Spoiler alert
according to reports, decisions made in the previous games have no bearing on the outcome of ME3 whatsover.
[close]

From various comments I've read, it doesn't sound like there's much replayability – and that includes ones by people who liked the game after all.

Multiplayer (which has bugs at the moment) has an impact on the single-player storyline. In order to get the 'best' endings (i.e. most positive), it appears you have to play nicely with others or alternately,
Spoiler alert
tediously scan planets... yay, that feature is back.
[close]

MojoJojo

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 09, 2012, 03:00:47 PM
Bit of a spoiler about whether it's worth importing characters -
Spoiler alert
according to reports, decisions made in the previous games have no bearing on the outcome of ME3 whatsover.
[close]

WTF? Haven't they been going on about that as a major feature since the start of the trilogy?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 09, 2012, 03:16:50 PM
WTF? Haven't they been going on about that as a major feature since the start of the trilogy?

Kinda – I'll spoiler this to be on the safe side.

Spoiler alert
They've certainly gone on about the ability to import characters, decisions carrying over, but I'm not sure if they went as far as saying that it would affect the ending of the third game – that said, I think most of us thought it would. This is one reason I mentioned about replayability – from what people have said (e.g. there was one person on The Register who liked it overall), the replay factor has been hamstrung by this.

Importing characters will have some effect, but it sounds very much like in ME 2 – it'll be easier to get people's help in some cases. Overall, I think Bioware talked the importing too much across the series.
[close]

Big Jack McBastard

Oh those useless twats, just as well I've held off on this, think I'll wait till they pull a patch out of their arse.

HappyTree

I think it stands to reason that character imports
Spoiler alert
only affect some intermediary exchanges and that they do not determine the ending. If you think how many different possible outcomes branch out from the previous two games it is nigh-on impossible to code that much narrative and fit it onto DVDs. Your previous story will affect some things but you can still end up with any ending if you put the effort in. How could it be any other way?
[close]

I didn't mind the planet-scanning, I was piloting a spaceship and I needed resources to build the best defences and weapons.

As for the bugs, well this seems to be par for the course these days. The public are the beta-testers and woe betide you if you don't have your console connected to the net. The day I am required to play online to play a game at all is the day I move on to other forms of entertainment. I would rather mine planets than play with other gamers!

Big Jack McBastard

I didn't really expect the options in the previous games to alter the ending as such just the route or ease at which you'd arrive at it, like say if you'd let the council die and killed the last of the Rachnni in ME1, fermented war between the Quarians and Geth and binned the Reaper base in ME2 then 3 should be much more of a struggle to fight through with many potential allies not on board for the fight.

That said it'd be nice if there were a little variance in the conclusion based on those sorts of actions..

Ignatius_S

A side-by-side look at framerate performance of the PS 3 and 360. There are also issues with the PC version.

It's been reported that assets for the paid DLC (free with the Collector's Edition, but I don't think it was initially) have been found on the retail disks of ME3.

Spolierish discussion below - but it's pretty standard online discussion on gaming sites.

Quote from: HappyTree on March 09, 2012, 07:12:05 PM...I didn't mind the planet-scanning, I was piloting a spaceship and I needed resources to build the best defences and weapons....

I always say the same thing - I didn't mind it. On the other hand, I can't say that I enjoyed it much - and I wasn't alone. When Bioware said the mining aspect (I won't use its preferred epithet of 'mini-game' as that implies fun) was being retained, the sound of popping champagne bottles weren't heard - people hated it or they didn't "mind it".  I just had a lot at a few old articles and it was interesting to see that the gamers defending mining were honest enough to say that it wasn't actually much fun.

Bioware has revised mining
Spoiler alert
it's scanning systems now
[close]
, so it is different. However, a noticeable amount of reviews are using 'grind' or 'grinding' when (briefly) discussing it. At best it's being described as an improvement on the previous system in user reviews/comments (largely because the people hated the ME2 system), but not all like it.

Quote from: HappyTree on March 09, 2012, 07:12:05 PM....As for the bugs, well this seems to be par for the course these days. The public are the beta-testers and woe betide you if you don't have your console connected to the net....

Sure, but with bugs such as framerate issues can be fixed whilst you're in a campaign - with character construction, you obviously can't. Now there is the fan workaround for the import issue, however, if it wasn't for that, people who wanted to import their old character have to make a decision about either playing with a new character or waiting till it's patched. This was a big feature that Bioware was boasting about and as I say, it's not something that can be 'fixed' mid-game. Some people who have imported their character have said that the data is wrong - the character looks different, made different decisions, romanced different characters etc.

Quote from: HappyTree on March 09, 2012, 07:12:05 PM...The day I am required to play online to play a game at all is the day I move on to other forms of entertainment. I would rather mine planets than play with other gamers!

Hee, when I read that last heard, it was my mate Chris talking! I'm pretty much with you - and I was incredulous that The Guardian reviewer was claiming that playing with online human squad member rather than AI was something that all ME players had been dreaming about from the start.

PC Gamer had a interesting article about how to get what you need as a solo player - it does go into quite a lot of detail, so do be warned!

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on March 09, 2012, 08:47:49 PM...That said it'd be nice if there were a little variance in the conclusion based on those sorts of actions..

Absolutely - there were some very big decisions to make, such as whether to commit genocide, and these could have been incorporated into the epilogue. I've read quite a few comments by people who had played as a paragon and were then going to play with a renegade (or vice versa) to see how it affected the outcome, but their desire to play again has gone for a Burton.

One thing that I really like with the ethics system was that - in the first, particularly - renegade didn't mean evil, but was more along the lines of 'will do whatever it takes to get the job done'. Renegade was black ops to paragon's virtuous soldier. I think this could have been easily reflected in the conclusion.

I don't usually post on these forums, but do read a lot of the stuff you guys do and have derived many hours of entertainment from it, so I'd just like to give a little back.

I was going to buy Mass effect 3 as I enjoyed the other two games, but was a bit put off by the tawdry fan fic, spectrum graphics Dragon age 2, so last week I looked on the Bioware network fo a little more info...

...It was suprising to see the amount of threads closed by the mods for even the slightest bit of critisim or internet banter, so I started googling the mods names as their attitudes seemed appaling.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was following the news on ME3 on places like RPGcodex and 4chan and found out leaks that made Bioware/Ea look particularly grasping/inept. (If you want to see the leaks just google the sites, but be warned of spoilers).

Today this video appeared http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8&feature=player_embedded which details a simply registry alteration to the disk content which unlocks the DLC that EA/Bioware wanted the customer to pay $10 extra for, so if you follow the steps on the video you get the extra squadmate, as far as I can see it's above board but I haven't tried it myself as the amount of stunts that Bioware have pulled with this game puts me off. Even Forbes has an article on it http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/11/new-video-shows-mass-effect-3-day-one-dlc-already-on-disc/

But be warned, every topic informing people on the Bioware network gets removed and to actually play the game on the PC you need to install a piece of shit spyware steam lite developed by EA called Origin, which goes through all your documents "In order to market other products to you that you like," in the words of EA.   So if you adjust the files you may be locked out of Origin and need to use a crack to play a legaly bought game with all the content that is actually on the disk.

I may sound a bit of a hater, but last week I had every intention on buying this game as I loved the previous two, but reading about the shitty stunts that the developers/publishing house have pulled have just made me a little bit jaded to the Sheppard...
...Its like the Kingdom of Crystal skull all over again.

HappyTree

Very interesting! I will wait a while to see how it all shakes out. I see very little reason these days to buy any game on release, what with all the bugs, patches, DLC that appears on GOTY editions, etc.

If the next generation of consoles is going to go further down the route of "all online all the time" plus spywaring their way to "marketing more effectively'" then I think I'll just stay where I am. There be a storm a-comin'!

To happy tree and others.

The whole thing is just weird you have guys like CD Projekt who made Witcher 1/2 throwing out patches with extra missions and now another 4hour expansion for free. Then you have Bioware charging people for things they've already done as a DLC and then even worse they lied about it all, it's quite obvious, the whole extra characters dialouge files were leaked months ago yet Bioware claim it was being made by a seperate team when the game was being beta tested/ certified. And I always thought a developer would try to ship the best game they could, how naive.

So on one hand you've got CD Projekt giving you stuff building up good will and on the other you've got Bioware giving their fans the middle finger and making them beg for the honour of sitting on it and paying extra for a sew on badge which says "I got fingered by Bioware."

It's a question of how you make money do you do it by building up trust, pouring your heart into a game and taking pride in people enjoying it... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure  (One of the guys who made monkey island, want's to make another point and click for $400,000, studios brush him off, fans pony up $1,000,000 in a day)

Or do you do this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMJN8FeOIs

I just hope for the sake of gaming development, to be considered a proper media it is the former.

Just to say once again, I was about to order this game a week ago I loved the first game, liked the second despite it's plot based faults. But I pre-ordered Dragon age 2 and didn't want to make the same mistake,  so did some research and well... If you want and don't fear spoilers look into it yourself on any of the v or vg boards on 4chan or theres a 200 page thread here, which gave me more fun than the game ever would. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-mass-effect-thread.68704/

Big Jack McBastard

I'm seriously questioning if I'll buy this at all now, I mean I know EA are grasping twats but Bioware has slipped in it's own shit a few too many times of late, the way they're continuing to go about trying to silence detractors and acting cagey and above criticism on their forums is what gave me pause in picking up DA2 for the Xbox and I'm glad I didn't really, it wasn't as good as they tried to convince everyone it was[nb]and it ran fine on my PC and I dare-say the same will be true of this.[/nb]

It's just a bloody shame they've shackled their own ankles at the final jump and fucked off so many people in the process, to think I kept those bloody savegames for this long expecting a decent payoff I should have known better I suppose.

Ah well, I'm off to find a *completely legitimate* outlet for this on the PC and we'll see how it goes.

Oh Just another note.

How can you trust the reviewshttp://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14235014.html, when a staff member is in the gamehttp://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/01/jessica-chobot-joins-the-cast-of-mass-effect-3

All I wanted to do was finish Mass effect, I couldn't have felt worse if Shepard had shat himself while Ash was spouting turgid 19th century poetry.

HappyTree

I'll still buy this so I can play to the end. But I'll wait and get it second-hand and probably not get any DLC. I think I can live without some
Spoiler alert
bug-eyed Prothean
[close]
on my team. Had they done right by us then I'd be more inclined to buy right into it to the hilt. I loved the ME2 DLC, I thought Kasumi was really fun and played with her in my squad almost the whole time.

Here is Video game journalism at it's finest, mass effect 3 given a glowing reccomendation by a person who plays a character in Mass effet 3, who works for IGN. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFVHh7GnptQ

I thought the FILM reviews were weak with folks like Johanthan Ross reviewing his wifes movies and other such travesties which have been going on but nothing beats video games 9+ out of ten on release with not a mention about any of the flaws. You have to install Origin connect to internet etc.

Your supposed to be journalists at least give us the basic details. These guys are far too close to the developers, far too close and it's starting to stink.

EA has been pressuring Metacritic to take off 0/10 user reviews as they are trolling, to be honest, a 0/10 is possible as the game may not work etc. But 10/10 or 100/100 that profesional gaming sites are dishing out is trolling, nothing is perfect. I remember Fate of Atlantas got a perfect score in a Mag back in the early nineties, but does anyone here fancy taking all 11+ discs and having a crack at it now judging the game by todays standards, remember it is perfect 100%, cannot be improved.

Sorry about the rant, it just seems like a big happy circle jerk in gaming now to give another MP FPS  97% for the box and anyone who actually enjoys the media fo its interactive stories eg early lucasarts/early bioware/ gets shafted.

Rachel

The butthurt abound after Tali's super hyped-up face reveal is little more than a crudely photoshopped royalty-free stock image is hilarious. Much fun to be had reading through the epic Mass Effect thread on RPGCodex. After the abortion that was Dragon Age 2 and lack-lustre SW:TOR subs I can see EA dissolving Bioware sooner or later.
Tali's photo, original stock image and rather large spoiler:
http://i41.tinypic.com/30t02er.jpg

HappyTree

I suppose it's a bit lazy, but it does look exactly like Tali's suggested features behind the visor so I'd have had to go out of my way to be disappointed by that. What I would like to see is the real-life model for Miranda!

Big Jack McBastard

Miranda's face (and bod) is supplied by her voice actress, Yvonne Strahovski she's been in a few things but the show she's most known for is Chuck where she plays the tasty secret agent tutoring/saving the shows namesake in a series of tarty outfits.

Sadly she's blond IRL which, I dunno takes the edge off for me..

HappyTree

Miranda taunted me by not being bisexual. The number of times my Femshep went into her office only to be told that she was busy! Sheesh. Just as well Liara is more open-minded about such things.

MojoJojo

Liara's not bisexual. Pedantic point.

Still annoyed about the MP. Will have to get it at some point to finish off at least one of my Sheps. But will probably go second hand[nb]actually, waiting until life rearranges itself so I can play games again[nb].

Penfold

I skipped the first, only played the second a couple months ago.

I'm enjoying this.

Although I already want to go back and play the second for a third time to change my decisions.

I might go crazy and play the first one.

OMG I've been indoctrinated.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 12, 2012, 09:13:56 PM
Liara's not bisexual. Pedantic point.

Errm she[nb]all-right 'technically' 'she's' a bit of a hermaphrodite sort, but still[/nb] bumped blue uglies with my male and female Sheps, only to be cruelly dumped for Jack by my blokey mind, but then he is a bastard.

Cracked versions of ME3 are rife at the minute, one of the most popular had 13,000+ seeders yesterday APPARENTLY, so I heard, etc...

Spoiler alert
Crashed straight back to the desktop anyway, grrr.
[close]

With regards the face importer being shit/non-functional <NERD RAAAAGE!> I'm guessing this puts the kibosh on my male Shep having his delicious cracked red face/glowing eyes combo from ME2, yes?

I don't want him fixed up, if anything I want him to get worse.

Fer fuckssakes.

Rachel

"Red Letter Media ‏ @redlettermedia
@MariLetje Will will be doing something with Mass Effect 3... stay tuned..."
https://twitter.com/#!/redlettermedia/status/179605515289104385

Plinkett ripping Bioware/Mass Effect 3 to shreds could be immensely entertaining.