Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mass Effect 3

Started by HappyTree, June 15, 2011, 06:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barberism

Sorry if this has already been said. But didn't the ending remind anyone of the Matrix Reloaded and the bit with the Architect?

HappyTree

It was said by the developers in their notes for the story!

Barberism

I think the bit with the Architect gets a bit too much stick. I'm the kind of sci-fi dork who likes bleak 'this was all inevitable' endings. But I'm not sure why'd you want to copy it when for a mainstream piece of media it's just going to incite mass whinging.

Not when they could have done a Flash Gordon ending with a army of hawkmen and guns going pew pew pew. Then the reapers merge into a robot the size of a planet, Sherpard pulls Excalibur out of a unicorn's backside and launches a giant Super Hyper Awesome Revenge Tornado towards the Mega Reaper. Then clicks his heels 3 times and eveybody goes home for hot chocolate and digestives. Yay!

P.S. Why are bad guys in sci-fi always called reapers? Why not bailiffs? That word carries a lot more negative connotations. People hear reaper and they think 'farmer' or 'dude who eases our passing into the next life'. But who in the world likes bailiffs?

We are the bailiffs. On March 27th you were .2p over your agreed overdraft limit. We have come to absorb your biomass. Will you lower your shields? No... well um. LOWER YOUR SHIELDS! Look, you think we like what we have to do pathetic flesh creature? Damn. It. We shall return. And in greater numbers. The cycle will begin again. You have been warned.

Big Jack McBastard

QuoteWe are the bailiffs.

Games are supposed to be fun, bailiffs are far too real and frightening a phenomenon to depict in one, imagine the scale of mental scarring to the children of the world.

I'd much rather have an extra-galactic bio-mechanical evolutionary monstrosity looking to mulch me into dinner than deal with the Bailiff Fleet. *shudder*

Neil

*avoids spoilers*

The Resurgence Pack went up yesterday, funny to see guys playing as Geth.

Patch today for face import bigs and the like.

The multiplayer really is a great Horde implementation. Silver and Gold are brilliantly frantic.

Neil

That fucking patch that came out today has fucked up my game.  I rarely get past "Connecting to EA Severs" now.  Argh, I want to use my new favourite character, the Asari Vanguard.

Big Jack McBastard

Get back to trying to beat some of my trick runs on SSX you!

I need cash-money sucka!

Neil

Ha, will definitely be back on SSX soon, but god damn, I'm dying to play more of this.  I've rebooted 5 times now, changed discs, cleared cache etc - still fucking hangs.  Might just go back and finish ME2.

OH, this will also affect single-player, if you have "auto-login to EA Servers" ticked.  So if anyone wants to continue playing ME3 sp or mp on Xbox, DO NOT download the new patch.

Big Jack McBastard

Seriously, these bloody boards are outrageously expensive, there's no hope in hell of me even getting one Uberboard (costing 4 million and change) until I've gotten everyone to level 11 which will cost a minimum of 11 million nicker and probably another 10m on top for irresistible bits of kit.

I think I've got about 200 grand which could be pissed away on a single mod.

Christ I remember getting projected winnings of 1.3 million on global events (and actual of about 1.2m), now I'm lucky if I get 150 grand for a madly modded run. Fucking snowboarding economy is whack yo!

Essentially the SSX Dollar underwent a stealth redenomination to cover its brand new hyperinflation rate, sucks balls.

turnstyle

Seeing as none of you slags donated me this game, even after I asked nicely, I purchased it a few weeks ago.

Finished it last night. The end was a bit of an anti-climax, but to be honest I wasn't really following the story all that closely, so a lot of it was lost on me. The actual game play experience was a good one, although I would have liked a few more in-depth side missions from the Citadel folk (rather than just 'scan a planet').

I liked the fact that there wasn't a
Spoiler alert
big end game boss. I'm bored of bosses
[close]
. Just me? Probably.

glitch

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2012, 11:32:32 PM
That fucking patch that came out today has fucked up my game.  I rarely get past "Connecting to EA Severs" now.  Argh, I want to use my new favourite character, the Asari Vanguard.

Neil if you want anyone to partner up with, I love the multiplayer in this. Sentinel/Adept/Vanguard are so much fun to play.

Neil

Yeah, let's do some Gold!  Not been playing that much of late as I've been trying new builds, and still only got two of the Gold maps done.

Jerzy Bondov

I finally decided to give the multiplayer a go this morning. Created a lovely brown and pink Vanguard and got myself all psyched up to charge into dickheads and send them flying. I didn't really understand the menu and ended up in the lobby for a Gold game, and the people in there went absolutely ape! 'IS THIS GUY FOR REAL?!' I hurried out of there very quickly with my tail between my legs.

Once I got into a Bronze game I had a lot of fun though. I always played as a Soldier in single player, so it's nice to muck around with different classes. Vanguard is fucking amazing!

glitch

Vanguard is great, although it can piss people off something chronic because you can swoop in and steal their kills so easily. Been having a lot of fun with the Krogan Vanguard - use Biotic Charge to get in and then use heavy melee while it recharges. Detonate your Barrier if you're being overwhelmed and then pick off the floaties with the shotgun.

Thursday

So the extended endings are out, and I just finished this last night, so I could then go straight on to the extended endings.

Hmm, my thoughts initially were that the original ending was okay, but the more I think about it the worse it seems. The extended endings sort clarify some things that were left too ambiguous, but mostly just offer things that weren't particularly needed and ignore other issues.

Spoiler alert
But it made it clear all the crew survived, which is kind of the crucial thing that it didn't do the first time. I thought Garrus and Tali might have died in the charge towards the citadel with me. It suggests everyone in the charge died and shows no reason to think otherwise, since I didn't see them afterwards. All it actually needed were 10 second clips of all the characters rebuilding their home planets.
[close]
I don't get the complaints that your choices throughout the series didn't matter though, because they had a huge impact throughout the game. Your various actions throughout the series lead to you making some heartbreaking decisions, and you see the effects during the game, so it's not that essential you see the affects of them afterwards.
Spoiler alert

But yeah the main concept behind it, was the problem, the child explaining to you the purpose of the reapers didn't make any sense and it didn't need to be explained anyway. A child giving you an exposition dump near the end is almost never a good way of doing things, but it's been in so many things now people just seem to think it's the right way to do things.

[close]

Nothing short of removing the Starchild was ever going to be enough for me, and the new ending in which you can just refuse its offers just raises even more questions - specifically, why it starts talking in Harbinger's voice and then back to the child's voice. Just jarring and stupid.

They completely fucked this up and they know it. Look at that desperate grovelling in the ending text now - instead of "buy more DLC idiots" its all "WE'RE SOOOO GRATEFUL YOU'VE JOINED US ON THIS JOURNEY PLEASE DON'T HATE US ANYMORE".

Naw man. Shit sucks.

Thursday

Yeah I've been going insane today, reading all sort of blogs, articles and watching youtube videos about the endings, and the more I think about it, the more I realize it's a bit shit isn't it.

There seems to some debate about whether it's a fuck you to people who complained or if it actually makes far more sense. Which I guess shows once again an ending has failed to communicate what the writers actually meant.