Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Use of the word Fuck", is it by Monty Python?

Started by JesusAndYourBush, June 02, 2004, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

I'm trying to get some info for someone about the "use of the word fuck" piece, the text of which can be seen here and the audio in a flash movie here.  Everyone on the net seems to think it's Monty Python but I've searched through Python discographies on sites and found nothing to support this, plus the voice doesn't sound like any of the Python team.  Does anyone have any ideas on know who it is?  It *could* be Python but I need evidence of this in a discography rather than just some site blindly following another and just saying it is.

Jemble Fred

Who says it's Python? Some American presumably?

mwude

I've seen it credited to Orson Welles before, probably on a version on slsk or maybe even by someone who put it on a thread on this site at some point.  It sounds a bit like someone doing a vague impression of Welles, but not a Python.

JesusAndYourBush

I suspected it wasn't Python.  I'm trying to find out who it's by for someone cos they need to get copyright clearance for using part of it for something but don't know who to ask.

Big Jack McBastard

It was also credited to George Carlin.

Could be, but the recording(s) (Two different voices to my ear) sound nothing like Carlin. I don't think it was Python either, too sweary and simple for them.

Rev

I'd always thought that it was Carlin, probably just because the version I heard way back when had his name on it.  It doesn't really sound like him, but there's the affected authoritative tone to consider.  It might just have been mixed up with that '7 words you can't say on TV' thing, or whatever it was called, and pinned to him because he seemed about right.  Python makes no sense whatsoever, though.

'Usage of the word Fuck': it's the new 'Upyaws'.

morgs

As far as I am aware the older sounding version id George Carlin while there is also a 'younger' sounding weedy voice which is Adam Sandler

Detective John Kimble

The older version (Only one i've heard) always sounded like Rodney Dangerfield to me.  Pretty sure it isn't Carlin.

Elliot

a bald avuncular jew

Quote from: "Elliot"Its Mr  Carling.

sigh...  Presumably you mean Mr Carlin, as in George Carlin.  If you're so certain that it's him then can you please let us know which album the routine is on?  It certainly isn't on any of the Carlin albums I own, and nor does it sound at all like him...

This is really one of my pet hates, why are comedy fans so terrified of acknowledging their bloody sources?  Is it because they want to be seen as all-knowing, all-seeing comedy encylopedias, or because they want us to believe that they are getting their knowledge direct from the source, instead of reading it off some website or out of a book?  If you are wanting to seem certain about something, then why not back it up by telling us how you know?

Here's some phrases you may want to consider using in future:  "I heard from...", "Apparently...", "I read in this book that...", "Some bloke on some website said that...", etc.

Elliot

Changed to

I thought it was Mr Carling.

Elliot

Quote from: "Elliot"

Changed to

Jesus..... for a Comedy Chat forum your really not in a very funny mood are you?

And yes I know its Carlin...................yawn......

a bald avuncular jew

Changed to

Jesus..... for a Comedy Chat forum your really not in a very funny mood are you?

Heat getting to you Elliot, or do you always talk to yourself ;)

Relax, I was more just using your post as a jumping off point to moan about an attitude that's fairly prevalent with internet comedy fans, wasn't singling you out in particular.

Rev

The 'young' version, which I haven't heard, is apparently by Denis Leary.  I did think, for a moment, that this could be a way of back-tracing the thing - you know, maybe maybe it appears on an album with a credit to the original author or performer - but then I remembered that we're talking about Denis Leary.

Gavin

It came out on the Black label.

a bald avuncular jew

Quote from: "Rev"The 'young' version, which I haven't heard, is apparently by Denis Leary.  I did think, for a moment, that this could be a way of back-tracing the thing - you know, maybe maybe it appears on an album with a credit to the original author or performer - but then I remembered that we're talking about Denis Leary.

I have seen it attributed to Leary too, but a cursory glance at his albums track listings show that it's not on there.  Plus, it doesn't remotely sound like him.  I think this was just done by some wag on the internet, and labelled with a load of famous comedians names in order to help it spread.  And wow, it surely worked, according to the internet it was recorded by Monty Python, Dennis Leary, Adam "fucking" Sandler, George Carlin, Orson Welles etc...  To be honest, it's not even particularly funny.  Carlin used some fake adverts on his albums, so it could possibly be written by him but there is not a shred of evidence to support this, it just seems likely because of his famous "Seven Dirty Words..." routine.

P.S. Dennis Leary had a go at Joe Walsh on his first album so may he die a lonely death, the beer-selling fuck.

Gavin

This is sometimes credited to Carlin as his The Seven Words You Can Never Say On TV bit which makes no sense as this is only about one work and that piece is about seven.
http://www.lyricsbox.com/george-carlin-lyrics-the-seven-words-you-can-never-say-on-tv-268qwb7.html

Rev

Bah, Leary's another dead end, then?  As I said, I haven't heard the junior version, but it seemed to be pretty widely-accepted.  

Anyway, does anyone remember the animation that goes with 'Fuck the Elder' (as I'll be insisting on calling it from now on).  I can remember seeing it but no more than that; I'm pretty sure it was a hand-animated affair that appeared to come from an n-th generation tape, and seeing it on the internet was my first exposure to the recording.  Mentioning this is probably just muddying the water even more, isn't it?

Possibly interesting thing, though:  Black Label's site - http://www.georgecarlin.com has a list of things knocking about on the internet that have been wrongly attributed to him but there's no mention of this thing.  It doesn't seem to have been updated in ages, mind.

Incidentally, I saw Terry Gilliam in Soho a few days ago, talking to a few people who had clearly recognised him earlier and engaged him in conversation. Didn't really want to crowd the guy with 4 people (i was with someone else too) so kept walking.. but yeah.

Elliot

Quote from: "a bald avuncular jew"

Changed to

Heat getting to you Elliot, or do you always talk to yourself ;)

Relax, I was more just using your post as a jumping off point to moan about an attitude that's fairly prevalent with internet comedy fans, wasn't singling you out in particular.

Heat, Japan, a moaning boss and the wife.
Im relaxing now.

It was Dennis Leary's brother who worked for Monty Python when they supported George Carlin possibly.

Im an English instructor over here in Japan which means I speak English a bit, I like it because it allows us to use the fuck word in our lesson plans.

'Funny is in the ears and eyes of the holder '

jutl

Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"I'm trying to get some info for someone about the "use of the word fuck" piece, the text of which can be seen here and the audio in a flash movie here.  Everyone on the net seems to think it's Monty Python but I've searched through Python discographies on sites and found nothing to support this, plus the voice doesn't sound like any of the Python team.  Does anyone have any ideas on know who it is?  It *could* be Python but I need evidence of this in a discography rather than just some site blindly following another and just saying it is.

I've always hated it - it's just not funny unless you are slightly titillated by a voice of authority saying 'fuck'. Even if you are, it gets a little repetitive by the end. It's like the 'Uses of fuck in history' thing that desolately circles the internet via email, bringing hollow laughter to the soulless and ignorant ('Hahaha Hiroshima').

Also, (and I accept that this is not really the point) it's just wrong. 'Fuck' isn't an interesting word, or at least, it's not interesting for the reasons given. It's a word almost without meaning - in nearly all of those examples it's a punctuating word to indicate a style of expression, with no substantive meaning at all. You might just as well say that 'You know' is an interesting phrase because people will interpose it into almost any sentence to indicate that they need a little think before carrying on.

Gavin

Quote from: "jutl"
Quote from: "JesusAndYourBush"I'm trying to get some info for someone about the "use of the word fuck" piece, the text of which can be seen here and the audio in a flash movie here.  Everyone on the net seems to think it's Monty Python but I've searched through Python discographies on sites and found nothing to support this, plus the voice doesn't sound like any of the Python team.  Does anyone have any ideas on know who it is?  It *could* be Python but I need evidence of this in a discography rather than just some site blindly following another and just saying it is.

I've always hated it - it's just not funny unless you are slightly titillated by a voice of authority saying 'fuck'. Even if you are, it gets a little repetitive by the end. It's like the 'Uses of fuck in history' thing that desolately circles the internet via email, bringing hollow laughter to the soulless and ignorant ('Hahaha Hiroshima').

Also, (and I accept that this is not really the point) it's just wrong. 'Fuck' isn't an interesting word, or at least, it's not interesting for the reasons given. It's a word almost without meaning - in nearly all of those examples it's a punctuating word to indicate a style of expression, with no substantive meaning at all. You might just as well say that 'You know' is an interesting phrase because people will interpose it into almost any sentence to indicate that they need a little think before carrying on.

You know, this is exactly right.

Fuck.

Dark Sky

I actually think that it IS interesting, because "fuck" IS the most versatile swear word that I can think of.

I've actually thought about all before, to tell you the sad, sad truth.

Don't think that article is particularly funny, however, but possibly because no-one farts in it or falls over.

Dark Sky :o)

Elliot

Aimed and the   'Its just not funny .......waffle waffle"

Who are you to say whats funny and whats not funny?

'It doesnt make me laugh and I dont find it funny"  would sound much better and a little less like those art critcs from Viz.

The guys voice is very familiar but I just cant place it.

a bald avuncular jew

Oh, IMHO for fucks IMHO sake.  IMHO.

I believe that this forum, helpfully named Comedy Chat, isn't just for asking people to reseed torrents for you.

jutl

Quote from: "Elliot"Aimed and the   'Its just not funny .......waffle waffle"

Who are you to say whats funny and whats not funny?

'It doesnt make me laugh and I dont find it funny"  would sound much better and a little less like those art critcs from Viz.

I wouldn't say 'mad', but certainly far too fucking touchy. Just in case there is any doubt, I was speaking for myself, not a critics circle or shadowy cabal of everyone except you. I'm glad you find it funny. Maybe it'll help you cheer up a bit.

Paaaaul

I've got a Flash video version of the track in question in my Soulseek shares, called Fuck , strangely. In the credits at the end, Monty Python are credited as doing it. I'm not saying that it is MP but it is strange that someone who went to such an effort to make a videofor the track didn't make any effort to find out who it was by.

TJ

Quote from: "Paaaaul"I've got a Flash video version of the track in question in my Soulseek shares, called Fuck , strangely. In the credits at the end, Monty Python are credited as doing it. I'm not saying that it is MP but it is strange that someone who went to such an effort to make a videofor the track didn't make any effort to find out who it was by.

Doesn't strike me as strange at all in Internetworld - I've seen Chris Morris clips passed off as all kinds, and vice versa. I sincerely doubt it's the Pythons, though.

Paaaaul

Quote from: "TJ"Doesn't strike me as strange at all in Internetworld - I've seen Chris Morris clips passed off as all kinds, and vice versa. I sincerely doubt it's the Pythons, though.
Sorry TJ, I rote that baddly. The video was made by some internerd but the audio on it is credited to Monty Python

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Paaaaul"I've got a Flash video version of the track in question in my Soulseek shares, called Fuck , strangely. In the credits at the end, Monty Python are credited as doing it. I'm not saying that it is MP but it is strange that someone who went to such an effort to make a videofor the track didn't make any effort to find out who it was by.

Saying it's by someone famous will make more people look at it. And then be really pissed off when it's perfectly obvious that it's not by the person it's credited to. It's generally done with particularly rubbish scraps of work like this. Beatles bootlegs are probably 50% miscredited shite.