Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblemong 2011 - Sign-up/Draws/Rules... the LOT

Started by alan nagsworth, June 15, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Aight!

So, as it currently stands, we have 29 confirmed mongers and three remaining spaces, so it's not so much a sign-up sheet as a look-you-were-too-late-because-these-people-got-here-before-you sheet. However, for the remaining three people who get here first, this is indeed a thread where you can stick your name in.

Confirmed so far:

alan nagsworth
Big Jack McBastard
Mythical Wet Patch
gmoney
Kishi The Bad Lampshade
baptist
Small Man Big Horse
glitch
Miles
Repentia
DocDaneeka
Viero_Berlotti
actwithoutwords
Lyndon
Vitalstatistix
Koant
micanio
The Region Legion
ElTopo
Delete Delete Delete
AsparagusTrevor
copylight
Crabwalk
Fry
The Boston Crab
Duckula
Mr_Simnock
Jemble Fred

The following people have said 'Maybe because I'm a bit of a soft lad and I don't know whether I'm coming or going':

eluc55 (come on fuckin' guy!)
small_world (was on holiday but there's no excuses now as it's been ten fucking days, fercrissakes)
Queneau (unresponsive spoon lover plagued with anxiety and doubt)
biniput (total nonce plagued with anxiety and doubt and "shit software" if you can imagine such a thing)
Old Thrashbarg (WIMMIN'S TROUBLES)
Cardinal Tit Storm (away for most of this/next month so looks like it's a definite 'no' from him)

If you feel like showing these people up for the filthy dogs they are, now is the prime time to whip up one of the remaining three spaces. :)

Here are the rules brought down the mountain many years ago by some guy I don't know:

1. Each match will consist of two shots per player, except the final in which there are three shots per player.
2. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.
3. The pictures will be 600 x 400, or 400 x 600 pixels in size.*
4. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite in the game thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours.
5. Common sense prevails in image choice.
6. Pictures can be uploaded to places like photobucket.com for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

* IMAGE RESOLUTION: Up for discussion! Personally, I can see nowt wrong with keeping it as it is, because a) it's tradition!, and b) remember source images are harder to find in larger sizes... but last year it was mentioned that we should up the ante to 750x500 or even the monstrous 800x600. What does everyone think? Does anyone even give that much of a shit? If only a handful of people express any concern, then it will remain as 400x600 because I can't see it being worth much fuss otherwise. It's getting close to the start of the tournament now as well so now really is the opportune time to speak up, because I strongly think that once we've started with a certain set of rules, they shouldn't be open for change at any point until next year's.

I'm fairly sure that Famous Mortimer could be overseeing this year's jobby, as Kishi seems reluctant and I don't think I can invest that much time. That's not to put pressure on FM, of course, and if he's only offering his services as a last hope then myself and Kishi will still give it a go. We do need to know soon, though, and I can honestly say that if FM is willing to do it, I would be somewhat relieved to say the least. Mort? What say yer?

Either way, whoever's overseeing it will be doing the name draws for each round and will also be in charge of counting votes after the 48 hour voting period is over, contacting each competitor to inform them of match wins/losses, and to remind them of if they are late for their 72 hour shot deadlines.

If you need an extension to get your shot done due to unforseen circumstance, don't be afraid to ask!

Um... I think that about covers everything, but obviously this thread is also a place where people can discuss what is/isn't acceptable, those image size rules and any other gripes you may have before or during the tournamemt, so please feel free to post any thoughts or queries here!

And now we wait for the remaining spaces to fill, and we can get on with the first round draw! Oh by the way, as this current rate I'd say we're looking at a MAXIMUM of two weeks before this starts, but hopefully our last three should wade in within the next seven days, so all those competing, be aware and free up your calendars of any funerals or job interviews or owt you already have scheduled.

Happy monging, folks!

Famous Mortimer

I'm happy to do it. I'll sort out brackets and seeding from last year's results (if people think that's a good idea), draw the other names out of a hat, post them up here, set up the necessary threads, etc. etc.

rudi

No CTS. It's like Wimbledon without the Robinson's Barley Water... :-(

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 15, 2011, 02:59:01 PM
I'm happy to do it. I'll sort out brackets and seeding from last year's results (if people think that's a good idea), draw the other names out of a hat, post them up here, set up the necessary threads, etc. etc.

That would be hugely appreciated; You're a gem! Thank you :)

NoSleep

Phew. I thought ziggy was going to miss this year's.

Big Jack McBastard

We should cook up some fake bitter rivalries[nb]or indeed real ones if there are any[/nb] between participants, that way if they get paired up along the way we can all go "Oooh drama!" and call it a 'grudge match', much to the their bemusement/cod acting along.

Quote from: rudi on June 15, 2011, 03:50:47 PM
No CTS. It's like Wimbledon without the Robinson's Barley Water... :-(

Ach awa', it's not the first one I've missed! Glad to see Ziggy's in though - you'll just have to drink coffee.

no_offenc

I kicked off about being in but yet am not on the list! WHAT GIVES :(

alan nagsworth

Alright you bloody PAIN. It's always SOMETHING with you, isn't it?!

Definitely:

alan nagsworth
Big Jack McBastard
Mythical Wet Patch
gmoney
Kishi The Bad Lampshade
baptist
Small Man Big Horse
glitch
Miles
Repentia
DocDaneeka
Viero_Berlotti
actwithoutwords
Lyndon
Vitalstatistix
Koant
micanio
The Region Legion
ElTopo
Delete Delete Delete
AsparagusTrevor
copylight
Crabwalk
Fry
The Boston Crab
Duckula
Mr_Simnock
Jemble Fred
no_offenc
ziggy starbucks

Maybe:

eluc55 (come on fuckin' guy!)
small_world (was on holiday but there's no excuses now as it's been ten fucking days, fercrissakes)
Queneau (unresponsive spoon lover plagued with anxiety and doubt)
biniput (total nonce plagued with anxiety and doubt and "shit software" if you can imagine such a thing)
Old Thrashbarg (WIMMIN'S TROUBLES)

Only two spaces remain! Get 'em while they're holy!

p.s. thanks for confirming, ziggy, it just wouldn't be the same without you lad.

Famous Mortimer

As soon as it's full (or if no-one else has signed up by an agreed time) I'll work out the first round brackets. Exciting!

alan nagsworth

I'm guessing no one gives a rat's cock about the image sizes, then?! Keep 'em 600x400? Right you are, then. And no animated .GIFs you bell-ends!

Also,
Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 16, 2011, 09:46:12 AM
(or if no-one else has signed up by an agreed time)

You can't do it properly unless there are 32 (or 8, 16, 64, etc) entrants, though, can you? Unless it meant bending the rules to either eliminate more people in the first round, or having some menage a trois shit going on in the second round. Maths!

NoSleep

I'm sure there's been odd numbers before, and people going straight into the 2nd round, haven't there?[nb]Obviously decided by names out of a hat.[/nb] Guaranteed someone will, later, have to drop out, due to circumstances beyond the contest; and where will this maths of yours be then?

alan nagsworth

Listen, you. I've had just about enough of your LOGIC. What I want is for a perfectly-even 32 people competing for one perfectly-rounded number of prizes: ONE. Is it so much to ask that an unruly forum full of simpering cunts and vagrant foreskin-stretchers obey one of my many obsessive compulsive traits? Is it?!

In all honesty, I don't like the idea of that. I wasn't massively keen on my victory last year being solely attributed to popular demand in the semi-finals, but that's kind of inescapable as a technicality that is as fair as fair can be that late in the game, so I dealt with my deep-seated moral issues and went on to totally win. However, I think I'd much rather wait a little bit to see if two more people opt in.

Is that okay with everyone else?

[no reply for two days, everyone forgets about Wimblemong]

Famous Mortimer

Do we start when Wimbledon starts?

I agre it'd be better with 32, but if we don't, then we'll have to have some byes.

But, if YOU don't want byes, then sign up! Join in the greatest tournament in the history of internet comedy forums!

Artemis

I'd like to be involved if possible, although I'm still reeling from last year when I managed to bag a last minute space only to be royally pissed all over by alcoholic messiah and his amazing 'shops.

Famous Mortimer

Cheers Artemis!! One more! Come on you 'whores!

buntyman

I'll join in as i've just got photoshop on my computer. I'm a bit of a novice though so it should be basically a bye to the next round if anyone draws me.
Edit: I'd be happy to relinquish my spot if anyone more renowned/popular feels they've missed out

alan nagsworth

No, no! Welcome aboard, powdered toast man! Wimbledon starts in three days, so I reckon there should be a Sunday night radio draw if that's at all possible? Pretty fuckin' convenient with the timing, huh?

RIGHT! Erm... I'll leave it in your capable hands, FM!

actwithoutwords

There's not going to be seeding right? It never has before, and a free draw adds to the excitement I think. Magic of the FA Cup etc.

alan nagsworth

What is this seeding that everyone's talking about? If it's anything like freebasing I think I'll just stick to the photoshops. Seriously I'm baffled.

small_world

Shit.  Literally just landed in Manchester from Turkey.
Sorry to miss out after enjoying the jalopy.  If anyone drops out or anything im available. Although I'll be catching up on 10 days of sleep over the weekend.

Famous Mortimer

I was thinking of doing seeding, but it's not like I was tied to the idea. A full and complete draw it is, and I like the idea of doing it on CaB radio.

If anyone wants to drop out or doesn't think they can do it, mention it here and I'll pop small_world in your place. I am already quite excited about this. Not small_world in particular (although I'm sure he's lovely), the tournament. The cut and thrust of monging!

buntyman

I'll let small_world in ahead of me and go on the reserves list in case anyone has to drop out.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: buntyman on June 17, 2011, 12:04:47 PM
I'll let small_world in ahead of me and go on the reserves list in case anyone has to drop out.
Cheers buntyman.

Right then. 32 names. I'll get a hat, and get 32 bits of paper, and see you all for the big draw!!!

alan nagsworth

Might be a good idea to get a mass PM out tonight or tomorrow to announce the draw, if the plan is still to do it tomorrow night on the radio, just so everyone is fully aware of the kick off. That said, is everyone gonna be ready seeing as we only just got the last couple of people confirmed? Obviously it's nice to start it alongside Wimbledon but I dunno if it'd be wiser to give it an extra couple of days.

Am I interfering too much? Once the thing starts up I'll keep my trap shut, I promise.

NoSleep

It's going to still be playing out long after Wimbledon fortnight has finished so...

rudi