Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wimblemong 2011 - Sign-up/Draws/Rules... the LOT

Started by alan nagsworth, June 15, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Draw... live... Sunday... CaB Radio... before Neil starts at 9pm. Sometime. Check the CaB Radio thread.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: rudi on June 18, 2011, 01:28:36 AM
So... tonight or actually TONIGHT?
Sunday. I'll announce the draw on t'radio (or not, if whoever's hosting tomorrow night doesn't get back to me, create the threads and things can kick off first thing Monday.

Good call about the mass PMing...now shut up with your clever ideas :)

Famous Mortimer

First round in brief!!

Micanio vs Alan Nagsworth
Vitalstatistix v. Mythical Wet Patch
Big Jack McBastard v. actwithoutwords
glitch v. Artemis
Ziggy Starbucks v. Small Man Big Horse
gmoney v. Lyndon
Duckula v. The Region Legion
Koant v. Fry
no_offenc v. Jemble Fred
The Boston Crab v. Mr_Simnock
Asparagus Trevor v. Delete Delete Delete
Crabwalk v. Miles
Repentia v. small_world
copylight v. DocDaneeka
ElTopo v. baptist
Viero_Berlotti v. Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Famous Mortimer

And I just realised that in the past, the serving person would start the thread - this will resume from the second round on. My apologies, enthusiasm and the fact I've never taken part got the better of me.

Cohaagen

Fuck, I really wish I'd signed up now. Any chance I can slide in behind buntyman on the subs bench if at all possible, please?

Famous Mortimer

Famous Mortimer

Just wanted to check everyone's okay with how long the rounds are taking? Please chime up if you think I need to be putting a rocket under people.

GoochDogHigh5s

Personally, I see no problem.
Some of the stuff so far this year has been amazing and I am prepared to wait a bit longer.

NoSleep

It doesn't seem to be dragging out more than previous years, so I don't see a need to worry.

small_world

Nah, it's good.
There's a few new mongs most days.
And I definitely wouldn't want it over too quickly.

small_world

What happens if people back out? I get that if a round has started it may be best to just pass the opposition through to the next round. But how many subs are there?

actwithoutwords

It's easy to sub someone in if the returner pulls out without posting anything, but if both players have already posted a mong, it can be pretty awkward to start a new game. Not to mention a time-drag on the competition the first round started a week ago. Unfortunate for those on the waiting list though.

Famous Mortimer

Already through to round two we have:

Asparagus Trevor

Repentia

Mythical Wet Patch

ElTopo

DocDaneeka

The Region Legion

Hopefully a few more games should be decided early this week. Just amazing stuff so far, I love Wimblemong!

Famous Mortimer

The rounds we still need either voting or final mongs from:

Big Jack McBastard v. actwithoutwords
Ziggy Starbucks v. Small Man Big Horse
Koant v. Fry
no_offenc v. Jemble Fred
Crabwalk v. Miles

Unbelievable standard of monging so far in 2011!

Famous Mortimer

The rounds we still need either voting or final mongs from:

Koant v. Fry
Crabwalk v. Miles

ziggy starbucks

just waiting for miles and fry to post their final shots, I say get on with the 2nd round as soon as possible
Spoiler alert
so I can quickly get knocked out
[close]

actwithoutwords

Maybe do the draw once they have posted their shots? And the second round can start during voting for the last two games? Or maybe just wait for Sunday/Monday as monging seems to go very quiet over the weekends anyway.

Famous Mortimer

I thought I'd announce the next round on CaB radio, Sunday night, like before. My equipment is working now and me and sirhenry had a chat the other day. I presume the rounds will get a little quicker from now on.

Oh, actually, I'm not going to be near a computer til about midnight on Sunday. Tell you what, I'll send the draw to sirhenry, he can announce it and then I'll post the exact draw and order in this thread after midnight. The people in the matches can start their own threads as well.

ziggy starbucks

I'd be in favour of doing the draw today, giving the servers friday/sat/sun to get their first shot in. I guess the 2nd round matches involving unknown winners would have to start a bit later

Often wimblemong slows down as it goes on, as the initial enthusiasm fades, so I recommend pushing it along

Famous Mortimer

Tell you what, viero vs. kishi should be done by this evening. I'll wait for that one to wrap up, then post the draw either last thing tonight or first thing in the morning. I also think Fry's match is getting dangerously close to 72 hours without a shot, so that one could be wrapped up by tonight too.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on June 30, 2011, 05:16:34 PM
I'd be in favour of doing the draw today, giving the servers friday/sat/sun to get their first shot in. I guess the 2nd round matches involving unknown winners would have to start a bit later

Often wimblemong slows down as it goes on, as the initial enthusiasm fades, so I recommend pushing it along

Hang about! So, the people whose rounds haven't yet finished will be paired off at a later date from a much more limited draw of... three people! (assuming none of the above three matches end tonight) it's not even an even number, so you will have one person whose first round has already finished excluded at the end of tonight's draw. Also, it's unfair that certain people will definitely be paired off together in one group of contestants, and the other should be separated from that, not least of all simply because they didn't get their rounds finished quick enough. It tarnishes the total random element of the draw in favour of wanting to push things along.

One more thing: People aren't going to know they have been paired off and round 2 has started early, because that is normally only signalled by the complete end of the first round. For me, at least, reading all this just now came as quite a surprise. It's baffling!

Big Jack McBastard

Get the lazy feckers PM'd with an ultimatum.

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 30, 2011, 09:00:55 PM
Hang about! So, the people whose rounds haven't yet finished will be paired off at a later date from a much more limited draw of... three people! (assuming none of the above three matches end tonight) it's not even an even number, so you will have one person whose first round has already finished excluded at the end of tonight's draw. Also, it's unfair that certain people will definitely be paired off together in one group of contestants, and the other should be separated from that, not least of all simply because they didn't get their rounds finished quick enough. It tarnishes the total random element of the draw in favour of wanting to push things along.

no. everyone currently left in the game is in the 2nd round draw. The draw is made randomly as usual and lets say the winner of micanio vs nagsworth gets the winner of koant vs fry. Therefore you will play koant or fry, which ever one wins their game. Your 2nd round game starts once their 1st round game is finished. Its exactly the same as usual but those who have finished their 1st round game can get on with the 2nd round and the whole tournament doesn't grind to a halt just because one person has gone on holiday without telling anyone or something.

One more thing: People aren't going to know they have been paired off and round 2 has started early, because that is normally only signalled by the complete end of the first round. For me, at least, reading all this just now came as quite a surprise.

they will know the 2nd round has started because:
a) they'll be following the game waiting for the draw
b) FM and/or their opponent will pm them
c) they will see 2nd round threads appearing in the board

QuoteIt's baffling!

lay off the drugs and get on the fruit machine, my son

actwithoutwords

I do think time-wise things aren't going too badly. 4 shots x 72 hours, plus 48 hours voting is 14 days and it's been 11 since the competition started. Hopefully these last two mongs will be posted soon, but there should be a balance at least between keeping the tournament moving and avoiding more pull outs if someone feels they are holding the tournament up.

Famous Mortimer

The rounds we're still waiting on final mongs from:

Koant v. Fry
Crabwalk v. Miles

But, I'm going to be away from the computer til probably Sunday night now. I might be able to sneak on one somewhere, but probably not, and my phone is no fun to surf with. Given that we're doing well-ish for time but the next two matches now won't be completed til Sunday at the earliest, I'll announce the draw now I think. But taking actwithoutwords' comments into account, please don't feel under any pressure to start round 2 before the arse-end of the weekend. Given none of us are going anywhere, we'd rather have completed matches that take a while than any more dropping out:

The winner of Crabwalk / Miles vs. Asparagus Trevor

glitch vs. Ziggy Starbucks

The winner of Koant / Fry vs. Viero_Berlotti

ElTopo vs. Alan Nagsworth

Mythical Wet Patch vs. DocDaneeka

actwithoutwords vs. The Region Legion

Jemble Fred vs. Repentia

Mr_Simnock vs. gmoney

ziggy starbucks

does anyone know if the servers in round 2 have been pm'd?

ElTopo

I haven't been pm'd but I've been checking this thread in the hope I wouldn't have to serve...

alan nagsworth

Quote from: ElTopo on July 02, 2011, 12:23:14 AM
I haven't been pm'd but I've been checking this thread in the hope I wouldn't have to serve...

*belly laugh*