Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:02:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I will never understand the Gamecube

Started by Retinend, June 18, 2011, 03:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

QuoteDimensions   5.9 × 6.3 × 4.3 in
149 × 193 × 112 mm
(width × depth × height)
From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube

why why why why why? why? Why call it a gamecube but not make it a cube? fine, maybe you design the prototype and only then do you come up with the name 'gamcube'. but surely then your immediate decision would be to make it a bit taller and into something that actually is a cube. why call it gamecube and not make it a cube ?

Retinend

placeholder

Still Not George

Could have been worse - they could have repackaged the N64 in a different box and pretended it was a new console.

madhair60

MojoJojo

It has a handle on the back.

The only console that can be used as an effective one handed bludgeon.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

How come Nintendo repeatedly make shit consoles yet unlike Sega don't ever go bust?

eluc55

Because their core games are generally so good, people stick with them?

madhair60

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 19, 2011, 03:33:20 PM
How come Nintendo repeatedly make shit consoles yet unlike Sega don't ever go bust?

Fuck your shit.  The N64 is great, the Gamecube is better.  Spent more time with those machines than I had any right to, and they're home to a pile of amazing games.  Wii isn't my cup of tea, but you could hardly call it a travesty on the level of the Mega CD, 32X and Saturn.

momatt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 19, 2011, 03:33:20 PM

Because it's shit that sells.  The Mega-CD was an awesome idea, but the world just wasn't ready.

A GameBoy doesn't have a penis.
The XBox isn't technically a box either.

lazyhour

"But is the xbox a true box? I dont really think so because of its curves."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Unfortunately the world just wasnt ready for the Dreamcast either. Despite it being better than the PlayStation and N64 in just about every conceivable way, the public and the publishers opted to remain in the slums.

In my probably not widely shared opinion, the N64, the Gamecube and the Wii are awful consoles, but the Gamecube safely the worst of the three. The software thing is very much down to taste- I don't like the core games, but they aren't really my problem- my problem is that I find the consoles themselves awful in various ways. The last two in particular have been astoundingly unambitious, even if you take into account the Wiimote, and held console gaming back.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: momatt on June 20, 2011, 01:22:15 PM
Because it's shit that sells.  The Mega-CD was an awesome idea, but the world just wasn't ready...
More of a case of developers not being ready to produce decent games for it.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2011, 01:59:35 PM
Unfortunately the world just wasnt ready for the Dreamcast either. Despite it being better than the PlayStation and N64 in just about every conceivable way, the public and the publishers opted to remain in the slums....
Sega fucked up the marketing, pure and simple.

At the time, the company privately admitted that this was why the platform was tanking and although it did seek to damage limitation and get outside help to repair, or at least limit the damage, by the time it did, it was (no pun intended) game over.

Treguard of Dunshelm

The N64 was the greatest console of all time. The Gamecube wasn't fit to lick its boots, yet was still better than any console Sony have ever released, and every Sega console but the Megadrive. I'm not interested in the vast majority of games on the Wii, but it's still a prety cool guy.

THIS IS MY TRUTH, TELL ME YOURS GUY.

I accept the terms of the

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on June 21, 2011, 02:41:18 PM
The N64 was the greatest console of all time.
I can never buy into that. I can accept that people think it, I just don't get it. Surely there weren't that many incredible games on the platform (Perfect Dark, Mario, Goldeneye?) and even fewer groundbreaking ones. It didn't do much for gaming history at all, especially when compared to practically any other successful platform from any gaming generation.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The 64 was a bit hobbled by having little in the way of third party support, most of the memorable games were made by Nintendo or Rare. Having the built in Multitap was an absolute stroke of genius though.

It just seemed like a solid console to me, with a few good licenses. Apart from Mario it just bored me, nothing was particularly innovative or exciting.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on June 21, 2011, 03:13:20 PM
I can never buy into that. I can accept that people think it, I just don't get it. Surely there weren't that many incredible games on the platform (Perfect Dark, Mario, Goldeneye?) and even fewer groundbreaking ones. It didn't do much for gaming history at all, especially when compared to practically any other successful platform from any gaming generation.
If we go by commercial success and take-up by users and developers, then the Playstation was considerably more successful than the N64. However, although the Playstation had far more titles, the quality of games was far more inconsistent than that of the N64, largely due to the amount of shovelware that was produced for the PS.

As Claude says, the N64 didn't have great third-party support. Arguably this was a combination of Nintendo being an absolute nightmare for games developers to deal with and the physical cost of games production; whereas it cost pounds to produce to a N64 games cartridge, it was pennies (actually, it might have been a quid) to produce a PS disc. On the other hand, these two factors arguably did also contribute to a more consistent gaming experience for the punter.

Although I tended to prefer the Playstation (and that was the platform, I owned), there seemed to be a few titles (e.g. Goldeneye) that really appealed to a lot of people that I knew, especially 'non-gamers'. In certain cases, there are PS games (e.g. Wipeout and Tekken) that the same people loved, but today don't talk about with the same kind of affection of the N64 ones that they enjoyed. Ultimately, this kind of thing comes down to personal preference.

In my opinion, wild and varied quality also means a lower barrier to entry (as you've pointed out with Nintendo being rotters for smaller developers), and that's what tends to make a platform exciting and revolutionary. The N64 was a dull thing, even if its four games were high quality.

And its pad was a stupid thing with a wobbly stick. Yeah, I said it.

You'll get no argument from me there. The N64 pad was a truly terrible bit of design.

I think you forgot Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on June 21, 2011, 04:23:05 PM
In my opinion, wild and varied quality also means a lower barrier to entry (as you've pointed out with Nintendo being rotters for smaller developers), and that's what tends to make a platform exciting and revolutionary. The N64 was a dull thing, even if its four games were high quality.

That's interesting. I found PS games to be almost without exception to be dull and unimaginative but many N64 games gripped me.

QuoteAnd its pad was a stupid thing with a wobbly stick. Yeah, I said it.

OK, that's just objectively wrong.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 21, 2011, 04:33:24 PM
I think you forgot Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE

NOT ALL OF OF US, BRO. I would almost go so far as to say if these were LOL NO only 2 games on the N64, it would still have been better than PS.

vrailaine

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 21, 2011, 01:59:35 PM
Unfortunately the world just wasnt ready for the Dreamcast either. Despite it being better than the PlayStation and N64 in just about every conceivable way, the public and the publishers opted to remain in the slums.
Well, no publisher could possibly have any faith in sega after the saturn, mega cd and 32X.
The dreamcast was not competing with playstation, it was competing with the playstation 2, publishers of multi format games couldn't be bothered developing next-gen games for the dreamcast alone until the ps2 came around, and why would they?

dreamcast was good, but they were doomed from e3 1995.

Still Not George

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on June 21, 2011, 04:41:02 PMThat's interesting. I found PS games to be almost without exception to be dull and unimaginative but many N64 games gripped me.
The mistake you made was in going to the "dull and unimaginative" aisle. The "interesting and unique" aisle was only a couple of yards over. But you did have to look out or you'd trip over the small shelf of N64 games YES THAT'S RIGHT I WENT THERE

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: Still Not George on June 21, 2011, 04:46:59 PM
The "interesting and unique" aisle was only a couple of yards over.

Containing such games as?

Come on, there were so many interesting and unique Playstation games. Yes, there was a lot of tat and shit licenses, but that's because there was a lot of everything.

You can't pretend that this list doesn't have lots of important games in it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_games

Where I am struggling to find any that would have altered gaming history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N64_games

Mario 64 definitely, and maybe one of the 3D Zeldas. Wetrix?!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on June 21, 2011, 04:23:05 PM
It wasn't just with small developers, but all developers - Nintendo played no favourites. It also acted like a swine with games magazines - it would give a review copy for a small window (say, a week) and threaten that it would never supply any more review copies if it was returned late.

As I say, these things tend to be a personal experience. Quite a few people that I was talking about in my last post, used to play only one or two games on the N64, but played those games again and again, more often than not, in groups as a social thing – dull it was not! (Unless someone does find playing games in a group boring, of course.)

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 21, 2011, 04:54:48 PM
As I say, these things tend to be a personal experience. Quite a few people that I was talking about in my last post, used to play only one or two games on the N64, but played those games again and again, more often than not, in groups as a social thing – dull it was not! (Unless someone does find playing games in a group boring, of course.)
That's the impression I got. Everybody I knew who had an N64 essentially used it as a Goldeneye machine.