Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

anyone been dog racing?

Started by danabnormal, February 08, 2004, 09:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danabnormal

well i have got a works trip to walthamstow dogs and basicaly i havnt got a fucking clue what to do its in a couple of weeks so any help /tips would be greatly appreciated.
p.s i havnt got a lot of cash so no big bets for me!!
thanks in advance

Cheese Arse H Christ

Use a smaller saddle than you would for a horse

thomasina

Mostly you bet in forecasts, which is which dogs will come in first and second.  Minimum stake with the tote (the actual track) is not that much, with the bookie it might be £5 or so, not much more.

A straight forecast is 1 stake, i.e you're betting on fido to be first and patch to be second. So a £1 straight forecast is £1

A reverse forecast is 2 stakes ( 1 on Fido to win and patch second, one on patch to be 1st and fido second) so a £1 reverse forecast is £2

A combination forecast is 6 stakes.  Any out of Fido, patch and spot to come in forsat and second in any order.  A £1 combination forecast is £6

Its deadly dull, you might as well watch flies crawling up a wall, but the food is not bad and you can have a drink there.

wooly

I went to Catford dog track a while back, with the intention of not betting and just watching. Was bored stupid for a hour, and then decided to have the odd small bet. By the end of the night I was having a great time....such is the lure of gambling...

Seriously though, have a few small punts (and pints), probably on the dogs with the silliest names, and it's a good night.

Wimbledon dog track is quite a blast and they make it easy for novice punters to bet as they have loads of people there helping you to place bets and don't take the piss if you bet small.  I haven't been to Walthamstow but I think its likely that they will have gambling for novices as well.

The tote is an entirely different kettle of fish.  Loads of seemingly respectable suit wearing guys taking bets with a few tasty lads behind them to ensure that things go smoothly.

Doctor Stamen

Going to the dogs is great fun.  Last time I went, I won a shitload off the first few races, proceeded to most of it over the remainder of the night, but somehow left with as much money as I went in there with.  The drink was quite cheap too.

danabnormal

yeah its a works do and theres food paid for  as well as about 15 quid on beer
i have never been dog racing before so the prospect is quite daunting. but no doubt after a few beers i will be ok.
thanks for the advice , looks like a reverse forcast for me on most of the races, how many races are there in an evening? i was told about 12 so if i take about £30/40 quid with me i should be ok? like i said before money is very tight for me at the moment , still catching up after xmas so i hope and pray that will be enough.
1 and 6 reverse forcast through the board. sounds good enough for me!.

p.s i intend to have a few beers as well before i go as well . might eeven get a bit pissed before i go and blow my wad on one dog.

Lt Plonker

My sister and me used to stand by the side of the track and jump up and down and cheer, so that we'd be clearly visible on the video playback. :D

We're pair of simpletons really.

Frinky

Quote from: "danabnormal"might eeven get a bit pissed before i go and blow my wad on one dog.

Not something you should admit over the internet.