Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your thoughts on anime shows old and new.

Started by Big Jack McBastard, June 19, 2011, 07:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

Hello there children;

My intentions here are simple, a thread, nay a shining bastion, for requests of opinions on anime shows throughout the ages, with the goal of deciding weather or not to bother your arse getting hold of said shows.

So if you're on the fence about a series (or a film if you're so inclined) whack a "What the eff is <insert show here> like?" on the bottom of this thread and with a bit of luck and some magical pixie dust, a knowledgeable Whore will wade in and dump gallons of jizm or scorn on your head for even considering it.

Simple enough eh?

To that end at the moment I am wondering if Working!! and Minami-ke are any cop?

The latter came up as a suggestion while I was prospecting for any info on future Mitsudomoe eps/OVAs[nb]Seems unlikely at the moment sadly.[/nb] and Working!! caught my eye when it was mentioned in some 2010 round-up on another site.

CaB may not be 'anime central' but the recommendations I've taken up insofar from here have had a 95%+ hit rate with me and the reviews (much as some folk may dislike the content or subject) do stand up to a second look once you've seen the show in question. As a relative neophyte in the field (some 20 odd series under my belt now) I'll doubtless be found in here scraping for moar shortly.

Oh and I will try my best to fill future posts with unusual screenshots.

madhair60

Working didn't click with me, but it seems quite popular on /a/.  Mitsudomoe Zoryuchuu, I'm pretty sure, is getting at least one bonus ep on its BD releases.

Have you watched Azumanga Daioh yet?  It's the best.

Consignia

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on June 19, 2011, 07:45:12 PM

To that end at the moment I am wondering if Working!! and Minami-ke are any cop?

Working is ace. Check it out.

I've got a few suggetions I'm considering writing up. Comedies are pretty well represtented already, so I'd be more looking at things that are bit different, but still good in my eyes. However, I'm not too sure about interest in them, so I'm a bit cautiious about writing at length about anything nobodies going to bother with. Also, I don't really want to suggest stuff people have already seen before.

If there's any interest in the following, I'll write up a short recommedation with pics and a brief summation. I'm probably going to do a couple some point anyway, but this a list I'd consider "interesting":

• Jigoku Shoujo
  • Baccano and Durarara
  • Ga Rei Zero
  • Nana
  • Taishou Yakyu Musume
  • Higashi no Eden
  • Anything Key-Kyoani (Kanon,Air,Clannad)

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2011, 08:16:28 PM
Mitsudomoe Zoryuchuu, I'm pretty sure, is getting at least one bonus ep on its BD releases.

Really?! That's awesome news, I've kept up with the manga (since you pointed me to MangaTraders) but it's been a while since any new ones have popped up and the 'pedia entry is still displaying the issue that was due in Feb as blank. As a matter of fact my hunting for any sort of news regarding it, be it Manga/BD releases or any scuttlebutt about possible new eps has been fruitless, a Gachi shame and no mistake.

I should stop complaining/yearning for more really, I should be happy with what there is and sit patiently with my teeth gritted. Then if more turns up it'll be a nice surprise.

QuoteHave you watched Azumanga Daioh yet?  It's the best.

It's sat on my drive waiting for me to finish about 4 other old series I'm halfway into. I'd read some almost universally positive comments for it around so I snapped it up.

Consignia

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2011, 08:16:28 PM
Mitsudomoe Zoryuchuu, I'm pretty sure, is getting at least one bonus ep on its BD releases.

I don't think so. Volume 4 seems to be the last BD listed, and it just has the last 2 episodes on it according to the description. Amazon JP link.

EDIT: Yeah, just been skimming the news on The official site and there doesn't seem to be anything.

Big Jack McBastard

madhair60

Fuck.  Sorry about that.  I could have sworn that I read somewhere that there were to be bonus episodes, three in fact.  Short OVAs.

Big Jack McBastard

I shall keep my fingers and eyeballs crossed either way.

Consignia

I'd never say never, but I wouldn't hold your breath based on the weak DVD/BD sales. It's not a particularly merchable show either, so they can't rely on figure, image CD, video games etc. sales which can otherwise carry on series that do don't spectactularly on DVD/BD.

It's irritating, I know, when your favourite series get the bum deal. I've resigned the to fact we're not going to see anymore Umineko because it tanked on home video, despite some of the best bits being in the unadapted Chiru chapters.

Big Jack McBastard

My butthurt is salved a fair way by the daunting selection of other stuff I have at hand and the ongoing series, never mind all the older stuff I've yet to discover.

I suppose even if it never sees the light of day again at least it can't go sour or hit a rough patch. It's a perfect little nugget of anime and comedy as far as I'm concerned.

My pirate gland is fit burst, but then, there's another list... and I've just burned a couple of series so now I've got a bit of room too ....

RELAPSE IMMINENT.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Jigoku Shoujo is great, maybe a tad repetitive after a few episodes but leads up to a great last couple in the first season. The only thing is there's only so many horrible things you can do to a person to make them decide to put themselves in Hell just to screw you over, so in the later episodes you have things like someone sending themselves to Hell because someone stole a cake recipe from them. That is literally something that happens.

Also, wouldn't the person probably end up in Hell anyway after they die? Can't they just wait it out a bit? It's basically a series about people with no sense whatsoever of the long term.

Consignia

I agree on Jigoku Shoujo. The second season is the worst for it, even though it still has some stand out episodes. But the third season, is my favourite as it has a continuing story, some of the reasons for banishment are the nastiest of the entire series, and better art style in general despite having the most laughably silly banishment sequences of the lot.

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on June 21, 2011, 03:46:22 PM
Also, wouldn't the person probably end up in Hell anyway after they die? Can't they just wait it out a bit? It's basically a series about people with no sense whatsoever of the long term.

As the series is satirical about modern Japanese society, that is sort of the point.