Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:03:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

child of eden

Started by mook, June 22, 2011, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mook

anyone bought this yet, or thinking about buying it?

i got a copy on a whim last friday, even got one of those kinect things. and so far i really am enjoying it, although i'm not too sure of the kinect - i don't like the way he keeps eyeing me up and down, the patronising three-eyed git .

as some of the reviews have said, i think it will be quite a short game, but fuck it it's fun and pretty relaxing in a "christ this is giving me a bloody headache now" kind of way. and i reckon it will be one of those games i'll chuck on for a quick blast every now and again. also you get to look like a total tool flapping your arms about like a stoned 1970s magician.

see:

Child of Eden - On Stage Gameplay

glitch

I love Rez so pre-ordered this. It arrived yesterday but due to home/worklife being all up in the air at the moment, didn't have the time to play it. Maybe tomorrow :(

Neil

A fiver cheaper on PS3 than it is on Xbox 360 for some reason.  I'll probably get it for my birthday, but I'm annoyed that even the review on Xbox Live itself said that the Kinect controls are inaccurate, and occasionaly frustrating.  Although I respect the fact they were allowed to say that on there, but that, and the fact Top Spin 4 didn't support Kinect after all, makes me wonder about the future of the device.

Yep will get this as well as looks decent fun, if shortlived gameplay, and is definetly something different to the usual genres.

Gamestation are currently doing it for £29.99 (inc delivery)!

mcbpete

Is the lag really as bad as it makes out about 20 seconds in to this video -

Child of Eden: Video Preview

If so then I'm waiting for the non-Kinect PS3 version for sure !

mook

i've just started on beauty, the third world or archive and so far i've not noticed any lag yet and on that level there is a fuckload of stuff happening on screen at times. although i have mainly just played with the controller not the kinect, so perhaps that might make a difference! hope not.

Still Not George

MS and the third parties are getting better at masking it, but the lag in Kinect is a technical limitation that can't be completely removed without some significant reinvention. It drives me mad, personally, but I'm told Kinect fans tend to adjust to it.

madhair60

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2011, 02:21:21 PMthe Kinect controls are inaccurate, and occasionaly frustrating.

I find this to be true of every Kinect game I've tried.  I don't mean to shit on another Kinect thread, but it just seems like such a white elephant to me.  It's interesting how it just seems to to click with a lot of people, and people who I don't consider undiscerning in the slightest.  I normally associate motion controls with people who don't give a fuck about precision, which sounds like an insult, but it's really not.  It would be nice for me to have fun with it, but I can't.  I just cannot enjoy playing Kinect.

Does Child of Eden have traditional pad controls, too?

mcbpete

Apologies, it was the kinect part rather than the xbox part I was concerned about - From that demonstration it looked like there was about half a second difference between your actions and what appeared on the screen !

babyshambler

Quote from: madhair60 on June 22, 2011, 08:04:21 PM

Yes it does, but my friend says it's impossible to play the game that way.

mcbpete

mook seems to be doing alright ...

Bonely Child

Quote from: madhair60 on June 22, 2011, 08:04:21 PM
I find this to be true of every Kinect game I've tried.  I don't mean to shit on another Kinect thread, but it just seems like such a white elephant to me.  It's interesting how it just seems to to click with a lot of people, and people who I don't consider undiscerning in the slightest.  I normally associate motion controls with people who don't give a fuck about precision, which sounds like an insult, but it's really not.  It would be nice for me to have fun with it, but I can't.  I just cannot enjoy playing Kinect.

babyshambler

Quote from: mcbpete on June 22, 2011, 11:56:46 PM
mook seems to be doing alright ...

Mook's clearly lying. He/she's most likely stuck on the main menu.

mook

the main menu is better than the whole of l.a noire i'll have you know. your mate must be some hamfisted motherfucker if he can't play the game with the controller. i suggest you tell him so too. and then cut off all ties with him - i sense he's holding you back.

bitesize

i'm gonna wait for the PS3 version. if, as rumoured, it has Move support i reckon it'll be best of both worlds - motion control for pointing but with the precision of some buttons. maybe they'll even chuck in Rez HD with full Move support as well as a bonus, that'd be nice...

babyshambler

Quote from: mook on June 24, 2011, 01:36:09 PM
your mate must be some hamfisted motherfucker if he can't play the game with the controller. i suggest you tell him so too.

Indeed! He has pork pie hands and sausage roll fingers.

bitesize

a quick headsup, you can preorder the PS3 version for £15 at Play at the moment: http://playcom.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/15606215/Child-Of-Eden/Product.html?urlrefer=search (i did go through the CaB refer link at the bottom before i got there but i've no idea if that's translated into the link)

same price at Amazon as well but you get a free Tshirt from Play. can't believe how cheap it is, especially since it's full price on 360. not due out til September, but should be worth the wait...

mcbpete

Quote from: bitesize on July 14, 2011, 09:10:52 AM
a quick headsup, you can preorder the PS3 version for £15 at Play at the moment
You're an absolute star, pre-ordered. Plus I've got a really terrible memory so by the time it's released I will have completely forgot about ordering it so will be a nice surprise when it arrives in my letterbox....

chocky909

The RRP is set at £19.99 for the PS3 version. That's weird isn't it?

mcbpete

It does seem worringly low, as if it'll be some quick novelty diversion rather than a full game. Although saying that I think I paid similar for a new copy of Rez back in the day and that's lasted me almost a decade ...

madhair60

Quote from: mcbpete on July 14, 2011, 10:12:26 PMquick novelty diversion

It's motion controlled, so... yes.

mcbpete

You can play it in a non-special-needs-looking-like-an-eccied-up-loon-in-some-sort-of-public-information-film way though using a normal control pad no ?

madhair60

Oh yeah, I forgot.  It is a game again.

Jamie Oliver is fat

Quote from: madhair60 on July 14, 2011, 10:13:48 PM
It's motion controlled, so... yes.

I hope these companies all get bored of this fucking stupid motion control fad very soon.

jutl

Quote from: chocky909 on July 14, 2011, 09:28:21 PM
The RRP is set at £19.99 for the PS3 version. That's weird isn't it?

Maybe their reasoning is

(a) Rez never sold loads but was big in the core gamer community
(b) Core gamers are likely to own both systems and the various peripherals

Therefore

(c) A large proportion of the potential market for the game probably already owns it on XBox

and

(d) It makes more sense to price it as an add-on because for those gamers it's essentially an expansion that lets them try it with the much-less-laggy-than-Kinect Move controller.