Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your girlfriend hates The Sarcastic Butlers

Started by turnstyle, June 23, 2011, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 07, 2011, 09:19:44 AMI remember when that was a thing for me, then I got a bit older and realised it didn't matter worth a damn.

This is exactly it, not just in the case of whether it affects your dating prospects, but in life over all. When you're (a) young (man) (of a certain type), it seems like the most important thing in the world to be so bleeding hip and cutting edge, then you hit a certain age (probably about 30-ish) and decide that it doesn't matter a fuck what other people think of your taste and that the only person you're going to impress with your record collection is yourself.

Little Hoover

Isn't it mainly though that you just assume if someone like's certain bands, they'll be more likely to be a certain kind of person.

CaledonianGonzo

If I went on a date with someone who spent all evening lambasting people who don't like Heart or The Who, I'd probably draw the evening to a swift conclusion.

23 Daves

Quote from: Serge on July 07, 2011, 09:55:33 AM
This is exactly it, not just in the case of whether it affects your dating prospects, but in life over all. When you're (a) young (man) (of a certain type), it seems like the most important thing in the world to be so bleeding hip and cutting edge, then you hit a certain age (probably about 30-ish) and decide that it doesn't matter a fuck what other people think of your taste and that the only person you're going to impress with your record collection is yourself.

Embarrassingly enough, I can remember a time in my life when I'd buy certain CDs out of the "two for ten pounds" selection in HMV purely on the basis of the fact that they were supposedly classic albums, and there might be a point where somebody comes round for a cup of tea and might fancy listening to one.  I've still got some in the CD shelves at home, and about the only response they generate is "Well, I wouldn't have had you down as somebody who'd own this!" as they pull Stevie Wonder's "Innervisions"[nb]I should probably relisten to this at some point, actually.[/nb] down.  I then have to try and explain the whole sorry situation as best I possibly can.  Anyone would have thought I was running a bloody library for the benefit of casual visitors.

That said, I now own singles I'm not mad keen on just in case I ever need them for DJ'ing purposes in a desperate moment, so plus ca sodding change and all that, squire. 

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 07, 2011, 10:53:59 AM
Isn't it mainly though that you just assume if someone like's certain bands, they'll be more likely to be a certain kind of person.

I used to think this as well, but it's hopelessly flawed.  It can act as a very vague guideline, but the existence of David Cameron and his love of Morrissey and The Smiths (and, for that matter, Michael Portillio's appreciation of the Pet Shop Boys) proves that there's not as much in it as people think.  Though I do think it's slightly sweet when you see teenage couples wearing matching band T-shirts.

I've met people who are of the same political persuasion as me who I find repugnant, so whether somebody likes the Super Furry Animals or not isn't going to be much of a guide.

Crabwalk

Holy fuck man, Innervisions is a bona fide masterpiece from start to finish. Listen to it soon! I thought you were going to refer to Brothers in Arms or Hotel California...

23 Daves

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 08, 2011, 12:35:03 AM
Holy fuck man, Innervisions is a bona fide masterpiece from start to finish. Listen to it soon! I thought you were going to refer to Brothers in Arms or Hotel California...

I knew somebody was going to say that... unfortunately, I played it twice (about twelve years ago, admittedly) and got nothing out of it.  You're right, I really should listen again.

I do own "Hotel California", mind you.  Sorry.  Perhaps that would have been a better example (I've always liked "New Kid In Town" ever since I heard it being piped into a public convenience in Waterloo whilst three or four tramps stood around the wash basins washing themselves.  I can't help but think that should have been the video). 

After years of being with Chinese girls with the most prosaic taste in everything but food, I think it's a real bonus to be able to share taste in music, movies, books, poetry, paintings, food (not just Chinese), wine, pubs. Curling up on the sofa with my lady, listening to My Favourite Things, that's a fantastic thing to do when you're alive.

Serge

Quote from: 23 Daves on July 08, 2011, 08:21:24 AMI knew somebody was going to say that...

Ha! I was about to say something before I read Crabwalk's post. But then I am a massive Stevie Wonder fan.

I agree that those sales are good for picking up supposedly classic albums, though. You're not always going to like them, but you don't mind risking a fiver to check out whether (say) 'Astral Weeks' is all it's cracked up to be[nb]it is.[/nb], especially knowing that you can always take it back if you don't like it. Stuff like the Beatles and Stones back catalogues should all be available for a fiver, they surely don't need the money that badly?[nb]I know, the pricing isn't all down to the bands.[/nb]

Crabwalk

Quote from: 23 Daves on July 08, 2011, 08:21:24 AM
I knew somebody was going to say that... unfortunately, I played it twice (about twelve years ago, admittedly) and got nothing out of it.  You're right, I really should listen again.

I do own "Hotel California", mind you.  Sorry.  Perhaps that would have been a better example (I've always liked "New Kid In Town" ever since I heard it being piped into a public convenience in Waterloo whilst three or four tramps stood around the wash basins washing themselves.  I can't help but think that should have been the video).

23 Daves, I didn't mean to imply that you should be 'sorry' for owning
any album - I'm with the anti-snobbery lobby in this thread! I just
picked a couple of widely owned, less hip albums that I thought more
likely to garner a 'really, you own this?' type response.

On my own shelves, it's probably the Elton John and Billy Joel albums.
But then again, my wife's Steps and Worlds Apart albums are in there
too so it's all relative. If I'm honest I have put those on a fairly
high shelf, so they're slightly less likely to be seen...

When it comes to taking a punt on a 'classic' artist or album,
second-hand vinyl is a good bet, I find. At usually £3ish a disc,
they're usually even cheaper than Sale CDs. Over the years this method
has been my gateway into Springsteen, The Beach Boys, Elvis Costello,
XTC, Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder himself, and more. Those first LPs
now all hold a special place in my heart.

Marvin

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 07, 2011, 10:53:59 AM

My experience has often been the more cultural tastes I have in common with someone, the worse they were in a relationship. Not sure what this says about me.

23 Daves

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 08, 2011, 10:48:39 AM
When it comes to taking a punt on a 'classic' artist or album,
second-hand vinyl is a good bet, I find. At usually £3ish a disc,
they're usually even cheaper than Sale CDs. Over the years this method
has been my gateway into Springsteen, The Beach Boys, Elvis Costello,
XTC, Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder himself, and more. Those first LPs
now all hold a special place in my heart.

Yep, you've hit on my new technique there.  In fact, if it's under £3 I'll probably buy it just if it looks interesting, never mind 'classic'.  I picked up a copy of XTC's "Black Sea" on vinyl for £1 many years ago, in excellent condition, which to my mind is probably one of the greatest bargains you could ever stumble on.  God knows what the second-hand store was thinking there. 

Quote from: Marvin on July 08, 2011, 12:58:02 PM
My experience has often been the more cultural tastes I have in common with someone, the worse they were in a relationship. Not sure what this says about me.

I've always thought that good relationships do, to an extent, require some differences between the couple.  There's absolutely no point in going out with somebody you feel 100% in common with, because that means they share your worst traits as well as your best ones.  As I don't think cultural interests are necessarily a strong guide towards somebody's personality, however, I'm not sure I can use that argument in your case!  Although I have often thought that the more niche an artform or interest is, the more likely it is to attract argumentative snobs who are stubbornly immovable on their points of view.  Some of the people I've met who obsessively follow obscure musical sub-genres have been seriously unlikable, humourless sorts, and the more supposedly "high-brow" the form is, the worse things get. 

None of this applies to you though, Marv.  We only had one stubbornly immovable snob on this forum, and they've gone. 

Little Hoover

Quote from: Marvin on July 08, 2011, 12:58:02 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm aware it's not something that's best used as a barometer for relationships or friends. Some of the people I've met at Uni that I've had the most similar tastes with have proved to be some of the bigger twats.