Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hobbit (2012)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, June 23, 2011, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Yeah, Freeman looks great as a young Bilbo. By the way, anyone been keeping up with he controversy surrounding The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition Blu-ray transfer? Apparently, it'd be miles better than the original release BD, if it weren't for a hideous green/blue filter that's been slapped over the picture. Also, the picture is apparently much darker, with some of the detail crushed out as a result.

Ignatius_S

Personally, I've been most excited by the news that Barry Humphries is playing the Goblin King.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 24, 2011, 01:11:09 AM
Personally, I've been most excited by the news that Barry Humphries is playing the Goblin King.

?

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: Glebe on June 24, 2011, 12:01:42 AM
Yeah, Freeman looks great as a young Bilbo. By the way, anyone been keeping up with he controversy surrounding The Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition Blu-ray transfer? Apparently, it'd be miles better than the original release BD, if it weren't for a hideous green/blue filter that's been slapped over the picture. Also, the picture is apparently much darker, with some of the detail crushed out as a result.

Thanks for posting that, I wasn't aware of it and would probably have parted with my cash before too long.  What's the deal with it?  Do you have a link?

(Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 was waaaay to dark too.  There were sections of the movie I couldn't see at all on my screen.)

Glebe

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on June 24, 2011, 09:17:15 AMThanks for posting that, I wasn't aware of it and would probably have parted with my cash before too long.  What's the deal with it?  Do you have a link?

There are some theatrical/extended comparison screenshots here:

BluBrew - The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition.

And check this out:

LOTR - Green Cast Comparison (Extended Left vs Theatrical Right)

Santa's Boyfriend

Aargh!  And Lovefilm don't even have it for rental.  Dammit!

Glebe

I'll have to take another look, but I've seen other shots posted and critiqued on various Blu-ray forums... in the shot with the fellowship going up the mountain, the snow has now turned from pure-white to a kind of turquoise... the 'Fellowship of the Ring' title at the start is slightly off-white looking, and the scene where Frodo and Sam are cutting through a field is noticebly darker - the scarecrow in the background has lost some detail. If I come across them again, I'll post them here.

mothman

It seems that Benedict Cumberbatch will be doing the voice of Smaug, not Bard the Bowman.

Glebe

Okay, not gonna clog a Hobbit thread up with LOTR pics... here's a couple of links to pics of the Fellowship EE Blu-ray:

The pics in the first link (scroll down) have been posted numerous times already on various Blu-ray forums, as examples of the green/cyan tint:

AVS Forum - The Lord Of The Rings Extended - June 28, 2011.

Some comparisons on this Spanish site - the top pics are the original Theatrical Blu-ray release, the bottom pics are the new EE release:

ZONADVD.com - El Señor de los Anillos: La Comunidad del Anillo (Blu-ray) - Versión Cinematográfica vs. Extendida.

Santa's Boyfriend

CaledonianGonzo

*squeals like a little girl*

alan nagsworth

FUCK I WANT TO WATCH LORD OF THE RINGS SO BADLY RIGHT NOW!

also FUCK THAT EXTENDED BLU-RAY IS HIDEOUS!

also FUCK I'M EXCITED ABOUT THE HOBBIT!

The Roofdog

I WONDER WHAT THE DRAGON WILL LOOK LIKE YOU GUYS

IS THERE ANY FIGHTIN IN HOBBIT? I DONT WANT STORIES OR TALKIN

Glebe

Couple of pics from the new issue of Empire... that's a young-looking Gandalf!:

Empire - New Hobbit Images Online.

CaledonianGonzo

Dwarves!:

I'm not sure what I expected, but I don't think this was it.  They've obviously decided to try and differentiate them visually as much as possible so as to not wind up with an amorphous mass of homogenous Gimli-clones, but I've no idea either which characters or even actors we're looking at here...

Edit:  Apparently Nori (Jed Brophy), Ori (Adam Brown) and Dori (Mark Hadlow).

CaledonianGonzo

Moar dwarves:

Oin et Gloin.

(Yes - I will post all 13).

mothman

I'd swear that's Alex Reid & Katie Price under all the fake beards and make-up.

Santa's Boyfriend

That's not makeup, it's Marx and Engels.

CaledonianGonzo

CaledonianGonzo

Sexy Dwarves:

I really wish they'd posed them in a forest or up a mountain or something, rather than in a 1970s photographer's studio..

Cerys

I accept the terms of the

Hell, the dwarves in The Hobbit aren't supposed to be sexy or even badass. They're little hefty axe nerds in hoods.

Glebe

It's turning into a right saturday night rock bar!

mothman

I wonder if, given the gratuitous back-story injection they're giving all the dwarves, they'll show any female dwarves? And if so will they have beards?

I have this horrid sneaking suspicion that they'll go way too soap-opera-y with the back-stories and, I don't know, make Fili and Kili not Thorin's cousins but his illegitimate sons that he won't acknowledge, or something.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: mothman on July 12, 2011, 09:34:20 PM
I wonder if, given the gratuitous back-story injection they're giving all the dwarves, they'll show any female dwarves? And if so will they have beards?

From the blurb for Oin and Gloin:

QuoteDistant cousins of Thorin Oakenshield, these two doughty Northern Dwarves join the Company out of a sense of loyalty to their kin, and also because they have a substantial sum of money invested in the venture. Along with Bombur, Gloin is the only other married Dwarf in the Company (there being a shortage of female dwarves in general). His wife is an acclaimed beauty with a particularly fine beard. Gloin is the proud father of a young son, Gimli, who will go on to become part of the famous Fellowship of the Ring.

Waking Life

I remember something in The Hobbit or LOTR, where Tolkein talks about male and females dwarves looking pretty much the same, leading to some Middle-Earth rumour that there weren't actually any female dwarves.

This made me suspicious that they were all going to be Gimli clones, but I'm pretty glad they've not gone down that route.

CaledonianGonzo

mothman

So, Thorin; Bombur, Bofur, and Bifur; Balin and Dwalin. The gang's all here.