Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 780
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hobbit (2012)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, June 23, 2011, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I accept the terms of the

Let's get on with the show (yeah, let's go!)
And now tall tales of Ovide Video.

Glebe

No Hobbit at Comic-Con, but there's a new production video up and it's a cracker! Make sure to watch it right to the very end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47TXEi0No0

Plus here's the official composite featuring all 13 dwarves:

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/HBT-DWF-007.jpg

CaledonianGonzo

BlodwynPig

CaledonianGonzo

Trailer in "released in advance of the movie" shocker.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

An Unexpected Journey? Hmm.

I wish they'd made this first.

jutl

The dwarves all look like David Gest.

CaledonianGonzo

Even the one that looks like Obelix?

jutl

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on December 21, 2011, 10:11:06 AM
Even the one that looks like Obelix?

Obelix after aggressive face-lifting, perhaps.

alan nagsworth

Naturally the lead dwarf has to be vaguely handsome so you can tell which one is also the most virtuous, courageous and wise. Heaven forbid that should be an ugly bloke.

Seriously though, I've had enough of this Christmas already and would very much like for Christmas 2012 to hurry the fuck up so I can have this.

jutl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 21, 2011, 10:19:12 AM
Naturally the lead dwarf has to be vaguely handsome so you can tell which one is also the most virtuous, courageous and wise. Heaven forbid that should be an ugly bloke.

Seriously though, I've had enough of this Christmas already and would very much like for Christmas 2012 to hurry the fuck up so I can have this.

Thorin is the biggest cunt of the lot of them, in the book anyway.

Santa's Boyfriend

I'm happy with that, it looks great!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jutl on December 21, 2011, 10:34:08 AM
Thorin is the biggest cunt of the lot of them, in the book anyway.

Ha, proves how much I can remember! I've not read it since my skool daze, mind.

jutl

I can't help regretting the lack of involvement of Ricky Gervais in this. Perhaps he could be brought in for post production, given his relevant experience.

mobias

I loved the original LOTR trilogy but I'm going to need a bit of convincing over this. The weakest link by far of the trilogy was anything containing Frodo and Sam, it was all far too cuddly and sweet. It was fine though because all the other stories and characters you followed more than made up for it. The darker elements of the film were basically far better done than all the lighter stuff. I'm a bit worried with the Hobbit that because its a much lighter fluffier story its just not going to be as engaging. Its also going to suffer from the same problem the Star Wars prequels had - essentially you know what's going to happen, you know where its all headed. I guess it'll be interesting to see what Jackson and co are doing to adapt it. Certainly looks nice anyway. From that trailer the CGI looks noticeably more lush than the other three.   

Is it any surprise, when we bare in mind that the the dwarves in The Hobbit are Jews that they outnumber the simple working hobbits thirteen to one in this insult to human decency? If the cast reflected actual Middle Earth demographics there would be only approx 1.6 Jew-dwarves in the core 'hero' group. And what of the clearly Muslim goblins and trolls? Turned to stone and decapitated while we watch. That's Hollywood.

Santa's Boyfriend

Quote from: mobias on December 21, 2011, 08:25:38 PM
Its also going to suffer from the same problem the Star Wars prequels had - essentially you know what's going to happen, you know where its all headed.

I don't think that was the problem with the Star Wars trilogy...  :-)

mobias

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on December 22, 2011, 04:41:13 PM
I don't think that was the problem with the Star Wars trilogy...  :-)

I guess you could say it was one of the many, many problems.

CaledonianGonzo

I knew what was going to happen in the 'original' LOTR movies, but I still enjoyed the journey of getting there.

Edit: Ta, Marxist - the Dwarves as Jews thing is new to me.  Interesting that it's not just a metaphor but something with actual authorial intent behind it.

Anyway - just watched the trailer again with a skinful of booze in the system.

Splooge:

Treguard of Dunshelm

This looks great. I've been a massive fan of Tolkien's legendarium since reading The Hobbit and LOTR when I was little (even tried to learn Sindarin a while back), it's one of my favourite works of all time in any field and I was so happy when Jackson's LOTR films proved to be pretty much as good as any film of the books could ever be[nb]While still being massively frustrating in some ways - I understand why the Scouring of the Shire was left out of the films, but it's still a shame. It's one of the most important parts of the novels in my opinion.[/nb]. This looks like it will be just as good. I was nearly in tears at the bit in the trailer when they start singing, I hope there are more songs in the finished films.

Glebe

A pretty generous teaser... almost feel it shows too much. Still, roll on Dec 2012.

The Roofdog

There, and back again, and now with bonus fannying around in between:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19055342

QuoteThe Hobbit film project will be extended to a trilogy, director Peter Jackson has confirmed.

Rumours that a third film was in the works surfaced last week.

They followed Jackson's assertion that he wanted to shoot extra footage, just days after announcing the end of principal photography.

CaledonianGonzo

I remain optimistic - concision has never been Jackson's forte (at least, not for the past decade or so) so if he brings his A game to this then more will probably be better than less.

Waking Life

I remember finding some of the LOTR appendices fascinating, although it'll be interesting to see how much they're using to fill in the gaps.  Would be difficult to draw a full narrative out and I'm guessing it'll feature practically no hobbits.

kitsofan34

How come a couple of years back Jackson didn't want to be involved in the directing of these films, passing it over to Guillermo, yet now he's done a complete 360, wanting to direct even more than expected?

alcoholic messiah

I fear that he's Hobbiton off more than he can chew, the Smaug git.

CaledonianGonzo

It's the film trilogy he was Beorn to direct!

Glebe

If you don't like it, you can Gollum(p)[nb]Go lum(p) it.[/nb] it!

jutl

Soon to be a major motion picture trilogy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My impression is that Tolkein fans will be thinking, 'great', and film fans thinking 'ah, dear.'

It's already one of those projects so dragged out that it's gone from excitement, to frustration, to boredom, to apathy and err..back again.