Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:29:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Hobbit (2012)

Started by El Unicornio, mang, June 23, 2011, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: kitsofan34 on July 30, 2012, 08:25:25 PM
How come a couple of years back Jackson didn't want to be involved in the directing of these films, passing it over to Guillermo, yet now he's done a complete 360, wanting to direct even more than expected?

Maybe they offerred to let him Boromir money.

Replies From View

Must be what "An Unexpected Journey" meant on those initial posters.  "You expected one film?  Well, you've got another think comingit's going to be another convoluted journey, bye."

At the end of the third Hobbit film, just one group hug though, eh?  Cut your audience some slack this time.

tookish

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 31, 2012, 08:49:09 AM
My impression is that Tolkein fans will be thinking, 'great', and film fans thinking 'ah, dear.'

It's already one of those projects so dragged out that it's gone from excitement, to frustration, to boredom, to apathy and err..back again.

I Fili it may be a Thorin your side.

Personally, I am incredibly excited, and that excitement is tempered with a queasy, uneasy, awful sort of dread that they might Get It All Wrong.

Weird that they'd decide to do a third after they'd finished shooting the first two. I can only think it will be a Revenge of the Sith sort of prequel that attempts to tie the two trilogies together as closely as possible. If they're going to get into this "expanded universe" territory, how about an Animatrix/Gotham Knight-type DVD with animated short films based on selected stories from the Silmarillion?

On the subject of Middle-Earth animations, will Warner Bros. please do the decent thing this year and not re-release Bakshi's 1978 turd at Christmas to profit from well-meaning grannies who don't know what they're really buying for their Hobbit-mad grandchild as as a gift? Imagine the crushing diappointment on little Timmy's face.

spock rogers

So has anyone read the appendices recently? Is there anything good in them, or is it just padding? If it's the appendices from Lord of the Rings then the tone of the films are gonna be all over the place, surely. The Hobbit's supposed to be FUN.

I dunno about this additional film. I mean, all that extra stuff in King Kong made that really good, didn't it? Some of these big directors need to reacquaint themselves with a bit of brevity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Or as you've used King Kong as the example, Director.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: spock rogers on July 31, 2012, 02:00:32 PM
So has anyone read the appendices recently? Is there anything good in them, or is it just padding?

Between The Hobbit, the LotR appendices, and The Quest of Erebor, I think there's ample material for three films. I think the more pertinent question is: at what points in the story will they have the between-film splits? If the second film concludes where the original novel does, I'm less confident about the viability of a third film.

Quote from: spock rogers on July 31, 2012, 02:00:32 PM
If it's the appendices from Lord of the Rings then the tone of the films are gonna be all over the place, surely. The Hobbit's supposed to be FUN.

In adapting it from page to screen, I suspect they've already altered the tone of The Hobbit, so that it's more in tune with The Lord of the Rings. The narrative framing device of The Hobbit is that it's Bilbo's account of events, and that he's unaware of the significance of his adventures in the grander scheme of things. Tolkien's additional material firmly places it in the wider context of the coming War of the Ring e.g. by emphasising the strategic importance that removing Smaug had in eventually thwarting Sauron.

spock rogers

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 31, 2012, 02:02:43 PM
Or as you've used King Kong as the example, Director.

Well, they're all at it. Jackson, Spielberg, Lynch, Malick, Fincher, Scott. Just because the subject may be epic doesn't mean the running time has to be. Even all the superhero films are a bit bloated.

Phil_A

Would it too cynical to suggest that the impetus for stretching this out to three films is possibly marketing driven? I'm sure New Line/Warners would absolutely shit themselves with glee at the idea of having another Jackson trilogy on their hands. "Peter old chap, you did such a splendid job on the last lot, don't you think you could just squeeze out one more, mmm? Just to make it nice and even?"

alcoholic messiah

Orcrist[nb]Oh Christ[/nb] almighty Fíli[nb]Phil_A[/nb]! Bifur[nb]I for[/nb] one think you Mirkwood[nb]Would[/nb] Gandalf[nb]Have[/nb] Old Toby[nb]To be[/nb] Kíli[nb]Really[/nb] Sméagollible[nb]Gullible[/nb] to think Bofurwise[nb]Otherwise[/nb]. Óin[nb]Oh when[/nb] will people learn?

Santa's Boyfriend

It's just a book you lot, stop being so precious.

Treguard of Dunshelm

I'm getting Bard of all these puns.

chocky909

Have they released any 48fps film footage for people to sample yet? Could they could send out a 1080p 48fps clip that we can play on our PCs?

BritishHobo

I was quite looking forward to this film because The Hobbit is quite a fun adventure story. Like a fairytale almost. I hope this third film doesn't mean it's now going to be as grand and epic as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I liked them and all, but christ they were exhausting.

alcoholic messiah

I don't have the quotes to hand, and they're certainly not definitive, but I thought the recent announcements hinted at spreading the narrative of The Hobbit over three films, as opposed to having the original two plus an extra film set afterwards. If that's the case, I think it's more likely to lighten rather than darken the overall tone, as I suspect the first things they'd consider extraneous in cutting it down to two films would be any light-hearted and/or character-driven moments which aren't essential to the plot. It might also lead to shorter running times for each film, and thus a reduction in incidences of numb-bum.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Hobbit could be made into a movie under 2 hours long. No idea how three films are going to come from it.

CaledonianGonzo

Well, I think it doesn't take much intuition to assume that The Battle of Five Armies won't be depicted solely by Bilbo waking up afterwards and asking what happened.

chocky909

I'll be happy if this means the films will be under 2 hours each. My arse can't take any more 3+ hour numbathons. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd arrange for any films over 2.5 hours to have an intermission for a stretch and wee.

I'm happy for Jackson to stretch or compact his material to fit as he sees fit so long as he is doing it for artistic and narrative reasons. We can only speculate if this is truly his wish or the studio's.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on August 02, 2012, 01:01:59 AM
I think it's more likely to lighten rather than darken the overall tone, as I suspect the first things they'd consider extraneous in cutting it down to two films would be any light-hearted and/or character-driven moments which aren't essential to the plot.

Is probably on the money - it'll allow for things like the song that's already featured in the trailer.

Surprised at the gripes about extra length, to be honest.  Yes King Kong doesn't bode well, but the Extended Editions of the LOTR movies are probably the definitive versions.  Plus, it dramatises all the exciting off-page stuff - Dol Guldur, the return of the Nazgul, etc.

Still Not George

New trailer released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmgHzkw1ln8&feature=player_embedded

Yes, that is Sylvester McCoy as Radagast.

I think I may need a lie down now.

tookish

I cried watching the trailer. It looks beautiful, and from what I can tell, the characterisation is really good. I am devoted to Tolkien and his writing (and am in fact planning to study it professionally) but I'm resolved to the idea that there will be changes; the Professor himself was sort of all right with it if you read his letters, and I'm personally delighted with the beauty of the set, and nearly all of the casting choices. That being said, if it's terrible, or even just average, it will probably kill me.

CaledonianGonzo

I could probably look this up, but I'm being lazy - is Howard Shore doing the music again?

His work on the LOTR trilogy is phenomenal.

Treguard of Dunshelm

That trailer made me want to have an adventure, which is exactly the feeling that The Hobbit gave young Treguard many years ago. So far, so good then.

tookish

Yes, he is! The soundtracks for The Lord of the Rings were truly perfect. I love the dwarf song from the first trailer.
I tried to find a good version on Youtube, but the search has been overwhelmed by fan edits, so I guess you'll just have to watch the trailer!

Endicott

Oh that does look wonderful. The best thing about the LotR trilogy was the way it looked and the attention to detail. It's a shame (for me) that I still haven't managed to let go of my disappointment at what Jackson and his writing partners did to some of the characters (the changes to Faramir, Denethor and Aragorn in particular all annoy me). But there's less to get wrong in The Hobbit. I've no doubt I'll be off to the cinema when this comes out, and getting the extended DVDs (if he does that again - the LotR ones really were fantastic).

mobias

So he'll be working on a 10 movie adaptation of the Silmarillion after this then?

chocky909

I can only imagine how AMAZING this is going to look at 48fps and in 3D. IMAX here I come!

The Masked Unit

I hope Frodo gets to shag Dawn at the end, or do you reckon they'll leave that till the third one?

Glebe

I felt like they showed too much in that trailer at first, but thinking about it after it's actually quite an exciting tease... roll on Dec 14.

[EDIT]Official site has four alternative endings to the trailer - which are now up on YouTube.

"I wasn't talking to you!"

Hangthebuggers

Those Dwarves look shit. They look skinny and small as opposed to... stout and barrel-chested and stocky (like real fictional dwarves).

Sorry Tookish.