Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

.avi fuckery

Started by terminallyrelaxed, February 08, 2004, 12:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Hey guys, just a quick brain-picker.

I've downloaded a film off Suprnova and can't play it satisfactorily. VLC gives me an error "at least 5 seconds of late video - too slow computer?" which basically means what it says. Quicktime can't cope at all, and I won't insult you with WMP.
My machine's a 500Mhz with a Radeon 9000 64Mb, and has played Divx rips etc full screen perfect quality.
I've tried closing all other apps but this shouldnt make any difference with OS X , and even dropping the screen resolution and refresh rate - this actually helped a bit, but it still wasnt actually watchable at 800x600 60Hz, so any lower won't be much use.
I downloaded DjoPlayer which is nice and versatile and you can monkey with screen dimensions and quality.
Its an Xvid.avi or thats what it calls itself (I'm not very multimedia). I don't know if its a `Codecs issue, but I doubt as getting no errors.
Any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe of translating it or converting it to a different format, but my searches on Versiontrakcer and Macupdate haven't yielded anything likely looking.....

I only want to to watch it with watchable quality, not bothered about ripping it to DVD or anything....can anyone help?

Bill Oddie

Try using Zoomplayer from here:

Clicky

and install this codec pack:

Defiler Codec Pack

If it's still shitty then it's the avi's fault and you'm shafted (as we like to say in the West Midlands)

terminallyrelaxed

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a go....

fanny splendid

I occasionally get that with VLC, but usually a restart solves the problem. Especially if you are running Azureus, that seems to use a lot of the computer's resources.

terminallyrelaxed

No good. Those are .exes. I'm on a Mac. Related links all seem to be PC based with no mention of system requirements. Thanks though....

Bill Oddie

Quote from: "terminallyrelaxed"I'm on a Mac.

Ahh... there's your problem.

The only way to sort it would be to buy a certain piece of hardware (available here: Clicky). And install the whole system inside it.

Then you'd need to go and buy a proper computer.

Flame war in
etc...

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "fanny splendid"I occasionally get that with VLC, but usually a restart solves the problem. Especially if you are running Azureus, that seems to use a lot of the computer's resources.

Yes I notoced the computer slowed considerably when I started using Azureus, well I suppose you'd expect that with 12 torrents on the go. It wasnt noticeable with just two or three torrents though. You've turned me on to a good thing there Fanny, word up.
I'm not sure if I actually quit Azureus now that you mention it as its usually hidden, but I probably did, seemed to try everything for quite a while. Anyway I'll have another pop just to be sure.....

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: "Bill Oddie"Flame war in
etc...

You know its funny, I was expecting that from Tim. Seriously though, we're talking multimedia here, Audio Visual, not spreadsheets. Try this on 500Mhz PC with even a better graphics card and the fucker would crash faster than Ayrton Senna - and deep down you know it don't you?
Granted, I'm sure a Gigahertz anything with 64Mb of video RAM would run it perfectly fine, but come on Bill.....

You did ask for it... ; )

blue jammer

... waits for someone to come along and point out a PC133 running Linux would be able to cope better still, or maybe even an Amiga CD32 ;)

terminallyrelaxed

Yep, quit everything including Azureus and dropped to 1024x768 and it plays like a dream. Can't believe I didnt try that before, but didnt want to quit Torrenting. Not used to getting all these guilt-trip warnings about share ratios and the good of the network though. It'll probably play all right at my normal resoltuion also, but I've restarted Azureus now. My its a processor-hungry little bitch isnt it? Spanking performance though, and thats not just the films I'm downloading, baddum-tish.

Its actually Ocean's 11. Look, fuck off, ok? I've watched everything worth downloading, and deleted them afterwards, and three of them I'll be buying on DVD, and one I'll see again at the cinema,* which would never have happened if I hadnt downloaded them, alright? So fuck off, before you even start.

*No prizes.

gazzyk1ns

Just to recommend Media Player Classic since it's on-topic in here. Very "lightweight" free media player. (Not to be confused with MS versions). I linked to that download page as the normal homepage is undergoing a facelift I think.