Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New goooogle

Started by BlodwynPig, June 29, 2011, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm sure people from here have been adding me but I have no clue who most of you are, I'm afraid. So please say hello.

Famous Mortimer

Uncle TechTip

Hello. I am marked 'UTT' on Google+.

Braintree

I'm the one with the fish based surname.

Yes, everybody. I am Richard Herring[nb]I'm not and anyone who suggests I am gets beaten[/nb]

I'm on there as Virgilio Anderson[nb]I'm not and anyone who suggests I am is just wrong[/nb]

AlkyBastard

Okay I'll bite the bullet. Can I have an invite if anyone's got one lying about? Pwease?

Thanks!

Marv Orange

I find it strange that I can add people and immediately see their stream/wall stuff without them ok'ing it.

Little Hoover

But then they can't set that stuff to not be public can't they?

I accept the terms of the

I think you only see that stuff when they choose to post it to "extended" circles (assuming that you become part of somebody's extended circles after you add them).

Google, this is a usability disaster. This just isn't going to make sense to people who don't care about details.

jutl

You can only see stuff shared with you personally, a circle you are in or with the public at large, I think.

hoverdonkey

Yes, it's more Twitter than Facebook and it took me a while to realise that it's perfectly fine to add someone you don't know but find interesting/funny to a circle. Still hardly anyone I actually know on it though.

AlkyBastard

Is there a VW circle? Does it work that way?

I accept the terms of the

Circles are private to you. You can only see your own circles, which you make yourself. Nobody else can see them.

Retinend

I found a neat solution to the 'who are you?' problem in this thread. On the 'about' part of your page you can not only fill in the 'Other names' section but you can limit who can view that piece of information. Just make a CaB circle if you haven't already and fill it in, selecting that circle.

Like this: https://plus.google.com/105616030528723604217/about

My real life friends can't see that bit

Still Not George

Good stuff, that man.

PAGATRON

I would like an invite if it's ok.

pagatron@gmail.com

Pseudopath

Quote from: PAGATRON on July 14, 2011, 11:27:36 PM
I would like an invite if it's ok.

pagatron@gmail.com

Invite...coming your way!

Famous Mortimer

Cheers retinend, that will make things easier. Is there any way to switch to "other name" for people who are in a certain circle, so that's the only one I see? Or is that for several updates down the line?

small_world

Even though I already spend far too much time on the computer anyeay. I think I want to have a look at this..
Could someone 'hit me up'?
Do you need my email?
Garycaveney@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks in advance anyone.

Wilbur

Quote from: small_world on July 15, 2011, 10:58:21 AM
Even though I already spend far too much time on the computer anyeay. I think I want to have a look at this..
Could someone 'hit me up'?
Do you need my email?
Garycaveney@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks in advance anyone.

Done.

Retinend

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 15, 2011, 09:03:42 AM
Cheers retinend, that will make things easier. Is there any way to switch to "other name" for people who are in a certain circle, so that's the only one I see? Or is that for several updates down the line?

I don't think so... I guess it would be too obvious which circle you were put in if suddenly the person's name changed.

Famous Mortimer

Ah yes, I see your point.

I think my problem so far is not enough of my friends are on it yet to be able to make a decent go of using it regularly to see how good it is.

greencalx

Likewise. I'm admiring an empty stream. I think in principle I prefer it to Facebook as it gives you more control, but I am finding it a lot more fiddly at the moment. Plus the asymmetry (i.e. you being my friend is not the same as my being your friend) while sensible also takes a bit of getting used to.

Still Not George

I have a lot of techie friends so I've already got quite a lively stream going. Sometimes do need to go to FB for some things, mind, especially Events.

Dusty Gozongas

Heh. So all of a sudden Facebook is clamping down on certain softwares that grab your contacts data... Well only when it's for transferring your Friends list to Google+, it seems.

Came across this handy info. Hope it's useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoR0lirqRWE&feature=player_embedded#at=14