Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,361
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New goooogle

Started by BlodwynPig, June 29, 2011, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Quote from: chand on June 30, 2011, 04:03:46 PM
Myspace's clunkier system which came out of it being essentially a "have your own webpage" tool for people with no HTML skills.

You needed HTML skills in abundance to do anything on MySpace, unless you cut and pasted from a template site. In fact, it's the only time I've ever had to use HTML, and that was always one of the worst things about the site.

Still Not George

Quote from: Zetetic on June 30, 2011, 03:03:20 PM
I don't know if it's been made explicit, but Facebook does broadly support grouping and, to a lesser extent, per-group messaging. However, as evidenced by this thread, the interface is terrible. (Hell, Facebook try to hide all this privacy stuff as best as possible.)
I did mention that friend lists etc already exist, I'm pretty sure. But there's a world of difference between clicking through submenu N to create a list one member at a time before activating widget P to indicate that group from the submenu using the tag that OH FUCK OFF ALREADY, and clicking on a circle with pictures on it showing you who it is.

Sorry FM, there haven't been any 5 hour sex stories for a long time. 8 hours was the record back when we were still both under 30, though.

BlodwynPig

The dividing wall must have got a good coating

Artemis

I'm now using this script to revert Google back to how it was before they fucked with it.

chand

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 30, 2011, 04:10:37 PM
You needed HTML skills in abundance to do anything on MySpace, unless you cut and pasted from a template site. In fact, it's the only time I've ever had to use HTML, and that was always one of the worst things about the site.

Oh yeah, customisation-wise you did, but you could set up a basic page with details about you and pictures of yourself on it that your friends could see relatively easily. It was nowhere as easy as Facebook, but much easier than trying to do something with Geocities or Angelfire; a lot of people just wanted their one page on the internet and Myspace was a good way to do that.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Still Not George on June 30, 2011, 10:57:07 AMWhat I basically want is something essentially like Facebook, but with several important differences:...
::
::
Not so much to ask, is it?

Nope, can't argue with any of that, that's pretty much what I want as well.

I do like this circles idea.

Still Not George

Quote from: Retinend on June 30, 2011, 12:08:44 PM
really? yeah sure, we all love judging people and whatnot, but do people actively divide their acquaintances into specific groups ('circles') enough to then create these lists in such a concrete way?
Well, erm, yes they do? Communication is contextual. I don't talk to my work peers the same way I talk to my family.

Question is, of course, how well will that come across to the end-user?

glitch

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 30, 2011, 07:22:14 AM
All those things,with the exception of android are pretty logical extensions of their core search business though. Android itself seemsq to work because google actually found a new market - 'open' source mobile operating system. Where's the new market with a clone of facebook, and apart from tinkering what have they introduced that's in anyway new? The ultimate problem for them is that the main feature of a social networking site is that everyone is on it. So when you compare google plus to Facebook, even if it's technically superior it's it's always going to lack that one selling point.

This is completely forgetting about advertising. Google don't like the way that Facebook competes with them with personalised ads. Both of them want to sell advertising based on an image they build of you but Facebook has the advantage because people willingly submit their lives to it. Google want the kind of access to peoples' lives that they don't already have with search/e-mail/etc. services because not everyone uses them. For the same reason Facebook are are expanding into e-mail. Do either party expect to win out in these new markets? It doesn't matter, they just want better ways of selling targeted advertising.

Quote from: Milo on June 30, 2011, 07:50:33 AM
Given that Facebook managed to slaughter Myspace by having a much cleaner and more usable design, it's not out of the question that G+ could do the same to Facebook given how many people are nowadays pissed off with the shite, overcomplicated design on Facebook.

I'll guess that a lot of people will at least try Google+ because of this.

ccab

Milo nails it. Facebook's infantile game updates and app spam are Myspace's flashing profile pages. If google+ is any good, users will desert Facebook. A well-designed, slick application free of the nuisances you've grumbled about for years? - & sexed up with several impressive new conventions (huddle, hangout, circles)? Who wouldn't switch?

I'd have agreed with Biggytitbo's "Facebook's got the users" point, but at the rate google+ seems to be picking up users despite the field test limitations, that may soon be a dead argument. If it has any solid foundation after the hype subsides, this network will pick up steam.

Before I piss off, let me clear up the confusion over +1s. They aren't broadcast to the world in the world's search results - merely to your social circle, whose results will be influenced by them to a few degrees. The +1 tab on your google profile is a variant social bookmarking app that aggregates them all. So, much more interesting than Facebook Like/Recommend.

Milo

It appears that they have taken on so many users that they can't sign-up people who received invitations at the moment. I've received two but can't sign-up for now.

Still Not George

Quote from: ccab on July 02, 2011, 09:03:37 AMBefore I piss off, let me clear up the confusion over +1s. They aren't broadcast to the world in the world's search results - merely to your social circle, whose results will be influenced by them to a few degrees. The +1 tab on your google profile is a variant social bookmarking app that aggregates them all. So, much more interesting than Facebook Like/Recommend.
Ooh, I did not know that. Kinda awesome.

Anyone got a shiny invite for me for when Google de-fail their servers?

hi u guys i rly need this come on if sum1 can help id rly luv a goggleplus invite pls. i work for goggle b4 but i rly need this 4 my work now im work 4 microsoft now. my add is jthebigmancoombs@hotmail.com thx guys pls just invite me thx.

Edit: Looks like I'm taking the piss out of SNG.

Still Not George

And rightly so, Mr Crab, rightly so.

It was meant to be a satirical comment on passive-aggressive whiners in the comments section of torrent websites who usually have some convoluted tale about how they 'need' such and such stolen material/software/TV show and expect strangers to then email them a solution to problems which have arisen mainly due to their not reading 'Read Me' text files. These are the worst people in the world, I've no idea how they get through the day. I've seen this calibre of person begging for Google+ invites in a similar fashion over the past few days.

come on guys help me pls id do the same for u n u know it

That said, if anyone has a Google+ invite for me, I'd really appreciate one, especially as it would really help with my job because my wife is out of work and my landlord shuts off the internet for all but one hour a day.

Still Not George

Amusingly, in the hour between your post and my reply I actually got an invite from a former colleague. Or so I'm told, it's not actually shown up yet.

Koant

Got mine last night and it's still closed at the moment.

Milo

To anyone who got an invite but couldn't sign up - this now seems to be properly open.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Milo on July 08, 2011, 03:39:00 PM
To anyone who got an invite but couldn't sign up - this now seems to be properly open.
Then it's changed in the last 15 minutes, unless I'm looking at the wrong page. Still in closed beta.

QuoteThese are the worst people in the world
I quite agree, Bosto.

Marvin

If someone's sent you an invite, it's now open to register, I just got in that way thanks to a fellow whore. I'm happy to try and invite anyone if they send me their email, but you still can only get in when they open the doors for an hour or whatever,

Milo

Oh yep, that's what I meant - it's open to people with invites, rather than people with invites still being turned away.

At least, I assume it still is.

Koant

I confirm it's working at the moment. I've just created a couple of new accounts from 1 invite.

Is there an easy to check who you shared a post with? I've posted something as a test for 1 particular circle but I don't see confirmation of that anywhere, just that the post is 'limited'.
EDIT: ah got it, just click on 'limited' and it shows you the list.

Little Hoover

I'm on now, people can add me if they wish.

vrailaine

Is this still invite exclusive? What exactly is the reason for them doing that?

Any chance of an invite from anyone? If they're limited, don't bother wasting one on me, I mightn't use it at all.

imitationleather

If anyone's got a spare invite could I possibly have it pretty please?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Give us a fucking invite you cunts!

Caroline

Could I also have one? I would be very grateful. caroline dot hatwell at gmail dot com

Little Hoover

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on July 08, 2011, 05:33:06 PM

You'd need to provide a fucking email address.

I've invited you Caroline and you imitationleather, assuming the one linked to in your profile works.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: Little Hoover on July 08, 2011, 05:49:48 PM
You'd need to provide a fucking email address.

I've invited you Caroline and you imitationleather, assuming the one linked to in your profile works.

It's fucking tokyosexwhale@gmail.com innit.

Little Hoover

fucking done you cunt

Quote from: Still Not George on July 02, 2011, 07:15:14 PM
Anyone got a shiny invite for me for when Google de-fail their servers?
Quote from: vrailaine on July 08, 2011, 04:44:46 PM
Is this still invite exclusive?
Quote from: imitationleather on July 08, 2011, 04:48:42 PM
If anyone's got a spare invite could I possibly have it pretty please?
Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on July 08, 2011, 05:33:06 PM

I hope you get your invitations.