Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad- Season 4

Started by actwithoutwords, July 12, 2011, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

This starts on Saturday. Can't fucking wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXvNd6pyD4

No new footage, but mightily exciting nonetheless. Season 3 left things poised very nicely. It's going to be very interesting where they take Walter. He's become less and less sympathetic as it's gone on. How far can that go?

Funcrusher

Also looking forward to this, the only telly program I keep up with after losing interest in watching S2 of Treme. I'll forget until someone bumps this thread, but will go hunting for a torrent of that televisual blue meth for sure.

dr_christian_troy

Here's a trailer with a couple of new bits - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ugqO3rrP50

I, also, cannot fucking wait.

Vitalstatistix

Had no idea this was about to start again! Brilliant news!

Funcrusher

I'm currently torrenting a tv episode off Demonoid, and speeds on there seem to be dire now. Any other places I could go for new Breaking bad when it starts?

Artemis

I was recommended this show, having only ever known the dude from Malcolm In The Middle was in it, last year. I wasn't fussed about watching it based purely on that one thing I knew, but I download episode one and gave it a go. Based on that, I bought season one on DVD and then watched season two and three pretty much one after another in the space of about a month. This is a brilliant television show and I'm psyched for season four. I only saw the rest of this around the end of last year, and it still feels like ages since it's been on so it must feel like an eternity for people watching it at time-of-broadcast.

This isn't really a spoiler, more a deliberate leak to heighten excitement, but Bryan Cranston has been saying in interviews that Walter is going to become more
Spoiler alert
badass
[close]
this season, which sounds good to me! Bring it on!

Little Hoover

Great start to the season although I don't think I'll be able to look at a box cutter without getting a slight twinge ever again.

Artemis

I forgot quite how fucking bleak this show is. My god.

Agreed though, a great start - the whole vibe seemed to pick right up from where things left off and I'm glad it was so slow - it felt like an episode to take stock and re-assess where everything is at.

actwithoutwords

That was a bit good alright. Didn't see what Gus did coming whatsoever.
This can definitely only get bleaker.

Skyler's part of the episode was a nice counterpoint to the Walt/Jesse snafu. The locksmith bit was great[nb]Though given that her getting into Walt's apartment didn't result in any plot development at all (yet), it did seem like a bit of bad writing[/nb], as was her delivery of "He carpools... He carpools to his job... at a meth lab..." That conversation between her and Walt was particularly great after the unbelievable tension of the beginning.
Great to have it back anyway. Sorry I got the day wrong in the OP.

Little Hoover

I did think that her story didn't go anywhere, but it did establish how she's developing a devious side herself, moving the car, manipulating her way into the apartment, so I'm guessing it's there to show how her character might progress throughout the season.

buntyman

That was excellent, seems as good as ever. I liked the speech to the 'professor' who was attempting to replicate the meth synthesis and the way Gayle's death was dealt with at the start. I kind of did see the Gus execution thing coming and I thought the whole wandering about in silence leading up to it was a bit overdone. At least after it I thought Gus should have said something about why he killed him (presumably because he was seen at the crime scene) and where Walt and Jesse stand with him now. I can't quite remember what happened at the end of the last season that led to the standoff, was it basically that Gus had ordered the killings of Walt and Jesse with the intention of Gayle going solo?
I agree with actwithoutwords that the final conversation between Walt and Skylar was fantastic, I loved Walt's complete daze coupled with his clearly hurriedly bought and uncharacteristic clothing!
Predictions for what'll happen next? The lab book is going to be discovered but I would doubt there's anything in it that would lead the cops to the drug lab or that mentions anybody by name. I know it's going to be good but I really can't picture the next direction this is going to take.

Stunning.

Quote from: buntyman on July 18, 2011, 10:06:45 PM
Predictions for what'll happen next? The lab book is going to be discovered but I would doubt there's anything in it that would lead the cops to the drug lab or that mentions anybody by name. I know it's going to be good but I really can't picture the next direction this is going to take.

The lab book will detail the process of making the blue meth, the manufacturers of which the police and Hank in particular were after for ages. They will now assume the maker is dead for a bit I expect, which probably forces some character development in Hank. Not sure where else that could go - they held on it for dramatic effect at the end there but the show has cockteased before with stuff that went nowhere (the eyeball in the pool throughout Season 2).

Marv Orange

Easily the best hour 44 minutes of tv so far this year.

That's all.

Bennygaylord

hpmons

That was excellent, seems as good as ever. I liked the speech to the 'professor' who was attempting to replicate the meth synthesis and the way Gayle's death was dealt with at the start. I kind of did see the Gus execution thing coming and I thought the whole wandering about in silence leading up to it was a bit overdone.

Yes, I was thinking that as soon as Gus walked in, even up to the "no speaking until almost out of the door" thing.  Bit too melodramatic, though I did like how ruthless the killing was, Gus even pulling his head back so the blood would splurt out more, and Jesse finally coming out of his reverie and then staring straight back.

Also, the cut from mopping up the blood to a guy swirling his chip in ketchup was awesome.

Quote from: The Region Legion on July 18, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
The lab book will detail the process of making the blue meth, the manufacturers of which the police and Hank in particular were after for ages. They will now assume the maker is dead for a bit I expect, which probably forces some character development in Hank. Not sure where else that could go...

Just to answer myself, perhaps they held on it because had that mexican dude found it then Walt & Jesse may have been killed immediately, and also that there exists a way for Gus to find those details.

defmem

Quote from: The Region Legion on July 19, 2011, 02:18:14 PM
Just to answer myself, perhaps they held on it because had that mexican dude found it then Walt & Jesse may have been killed immediately, and also that there exists a way for Gus to find those details.

True, but it could also be a great tool to help Walt take down Gus - Hank has often discussed the Blue Meth investigation with Walt (or at least after they tracked the equipment from season 1 down to the school he has), so if/when Walt discovers the existence of the book, surely he's going to try and use it to his advantage. Whether through blackmailing Gus or trying to lead Hank and the DEA in the right direction.

Of course, Gus could easily bring Walt down with him, but it'd at least help Walt stave off his execution.

non capisco

I love Gus. He's such a pantomime villain. They might as well give him a velvet cape.

Feralkid

My, that was quite the season opener. I can't see this ending well for anyone. 

chocolateboy

Quote from: Marv Orange on July 18, 2011, 10:37:19 PM
Easily the best hour 44 minutes of tv so far this year.

44 minutes and 12 seconds. OK, I made that up, but it really does have a fixed length (give or take literally 2 or 3 seconds). The (excellent) "insider" podcasts go into detail about what an enduring arsepain it is timewarping the show into its allotted slot:

http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/insider-podcast-season-4

My prediction is that Skyler is gonna get hooked on the ill-gotten riches (she's already got previous with Ted) and slowly but inexorably transform into a badass Momma Gangsta (I'm thinking Catherine Zeta Jones' "Shoot him in the fucking head!" in Traffic). I think that's why we're seeing (for the first time) the good side of Marie: to contrast her with the trajectory of the anti-Marie. Foshizzling, I believe it's called.

Fortunately (for the most part), I can't guess where the show's headed, so I'm probably satisfyingly wrong.

defmem

Quote from: chocolateboy on July 20, 2011, 07:44:18 PM
My prediction is that Skyler is gonna get hooked on the ill-gotten riches (she's already got previous with Ted) and slowly but inexorably transform into a badass Momma Gangsta (I'm thinking Catherine Zeta Jones' "Shoot him in the fucking head!" in Traffic).

I agree, Sklyer and Walt's relationship always existed in terms of her influence over him (I think the reason Walt walked away from grey matter - unless its been established and I missed it - may turn out to have been at her behest), and she is going to do everything in her power to re-establish the dynamic of their previous relationship.

I'm hoping for a 'Skyler vs Saul' situation. 

REVEEN!

At least after it I thought Gus should have said something about why he killed him (presumably because he was seen at the crime scene) and where Walt and Jesse stand with him now.
The guy who was killed (Gomez?) was the overseer of the meth lab and as such Gus would have considered Gayle's safety to be his responsibility. Basically he was letting Walt know that he only got the better of him this time because this guy had failed in his duties and now he wont be around to fail Gus the next time.

At least that's how I read it anyway.

Mildly Diverting

Oh, how I love this show. Nothing really to expand on - you guys have summed it up for me, from the brilliance of the ten minute killing scene through to the ketchup shot, but I hope they keep the same focus on the brother-in-law. I know he was an absolute arsehole, but that does make his new position even more tragic.

Great stuff.

Bennygaylord

defmem

Yeh, Hank is no arsehole. He and Jessie are the only two people in the show who aren't arseholes.

And maybe Mike. Mike is a good 'un

They're all assholes, isn't that the whole point?

Necrophagism

Quote from: chocolateboy on July 20, 2011, 07:44:18 PM

The (excellent) "insider" podcasts go into detail about what an enduring arsepain it is timewarping the show into its allotted slot:

Thanks for the heads-up on those. Another reason for me to luuurve this show.

When Victor was in his death throes, he seemed to turn towards Gus and try to bite him as a defence. It was, like, totally disturbing, y'know!?

taargus

Quote from: Necrophagism on July 21, 2011, 11:02:33 AM
When Victor was in is death throes, he seemed to turn towards Gus and try to bite him as a defence. It was, like, totally disturbing, y'know!?

Quite desperate wasn't it? Definately one of the most unsettling on screen murders I've ever seen. I might be imagining it but as Gus was about to let go of him he appeared to fix his eyes straight ahead at Walt and Jesse as if to say "you see what happens!" Although he may have meant to be fully dead at that point.

Necrophagism

Quote from: taargus on July 21, 2011, 11:15:50 AM

Quite desperate wasn't it? Definately one of the most unsettling on screen murders I've ever seen. I might be imagining it but as Gus was about to let go of him he appeared to fix his eyes straight ahead at Walt and Jesse as if to say "you see what happens!" Although he may have meant to be fully dead at that point.

I had a sense of mild trauma swimming about my brain after that scene. It reminded me of a bit in David Simon's 'Homicide' book when he talks about how deaths are rarely ever instantaneous (as often represented in fiction). It was so astonishingly brutal, visceral and prolonged - I highly recommend those podcasts for the insight they give into its (or Victor's, if you will) execution.

Mister Six

Quote from: REVEEN! on July 20, 2011, 09:09:12 PM
The guy who was killed (Gomez?) was the overseer of the meth lab and as such Gus would have considered Gayle's safety to be his responsibility. Basically he was letting Walt know that he only got the better of him this time because this guy had failed in his duties and now he wont be around to fail Gus the next time.

At least that's how I read it anyway.

No, I think Gus knew that the guy had been seen. Immediately after he tells Mike that he was spotted at the apartment, Mike goes to make the phone call to Gus. We don't hear what's said, but I think that (and wanting to put the shits up Walter) was a good enough reason to do him in.