Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad- Season 4

Started by actwithoutwords, July 12, 2011, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on October 11, 2011, 11:55:11 AMThe one thread that I thought was most interestingly not sorted out was the issue of Gus' status, past and power. It was mentioned numerous times, but was never resolved. I suspect that whatever forces protected Gus will be Walt's new challenge.

Good thoughts. Yeah, I agree. There was some reason why the cartel couldn't kill Gus. Something to do with Chile. Now, Walt has killed Gus, and I bet there'll be some snakes slithering out of the woodwork now.

I'd like to see less of Walt under duress now, and more of him taking what he presumes to be control, all the while with Hank closing in on him.

Little Hoover

I think the argument was that Walt couldn't have got hold of Jesse's Ricin cigarette himself, because there wasn't a time when Walt would have been able to access his cigarette packet without Jesse noticing. I'm still uncertain when exactly he could have given the kid the berries, but with Saul's men involved, it's less of a stretch.

Slaaaaabs

We've already seen Saul get friendly with the kid and give him some candy. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to show up at the school and do the same again.

Eis Nein

The tie-staightening is easily justified: Fring was a buttoned-down, logical thinker. He was all left-brain, right to the end. The power of this show allows it to pull off what lesser efforts would render as unjustifiable cheese, camp or cliché; when Walt closed the door in Hector's room he could have been pulling a cape across his face. I was already laughing at Walt's anger early in the episode, then the DEA interview did for me completely.

Marv Orange

The moment Walt sent his neighbour to check the house I thought 'you little shit you poisoned that kid'.

My prediction for the next series is that the first half is Walt setting up business under the carwash and using Mike as a middle man to sell and the second half is hank after him. Not sure why he would go back to the meth maybe pride? Showing he can do what Gus did but better. Can't see them going for rival drug dealers again that storyline been done now.

Ginyard

It needs to be a Walt vs Hank finale doesn't it?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Ginyard on October 11, 2011, 07:27:10 PM
It needs to be a Walt vs Hank finale doesn't it?

Probably, but I wouldn't put it past them to pit Jesse and Walt against each other, perhaps with Mike stuck somewhere in the middle. I think Skylar is going to become much more complicit - we are already seeing how her ethics are rather fluid. I imagine that Walt Jnr is going to play a bigger part in the final season, with a massive fall from grace for Walt when he realises what his father really is.

I suspect that it will become about Hank being hot on the heels of Heisenberg, with the epiphany occuring in the 14th or 15th episode. I can't wait for that - what a money shot. Chasing up behind Hank will be Jesse who will no doubt be fucked over by Walt, followed closely by the Chileans or whomever Gus was attached to.

Walt will die of cancer, and Jesse may possibly die earlier in the season than we might imagine. I'm pretty sure that they will aim for a mid-season climax as a dramatic rise from 1 to 16 is too shallow a climb.

Speculate

Mister Six

Quote from: Splendora on October 10, 2011, 10:59:12 PMNow, Gus walking out of the room after the explosion, I think I actually gasped when this happened because it was so unexpected.  And then when the camera swung around and he did the tie fix and dropped dead I thought: "Can they do that?".  It was just so weird, but then I remembered that this show has decapitated Danny Trejo heads super-glued to exploding cartel tortoises roaming around the dessert attacking DEA agents and it seemed much less absurd.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. They've really toned down the strangeness this season, which is a shame - I always liked the way it wasn't afraid to veer into the surreal, like the Mexican band singing Walt's story last season, or the twins' silent mass slaughter. I hope they bring some of that back next season, because it adds just a little lightness to an otherwise oppressively grim show.

Mister Six

Quote from: Marv Orange on October 11, 2011, 07:21:52 PMNot sure why he would go back to the meth maybe pride?

Walt is the most ego-driven, proud, self-deluding character in the history of TV. That would be motivation alone, but add to that the fact that his wife is successfully running their car wash company (we know he can't stand to be second best), that the Cartel will probably be trying to establish control with Gus dead, that the Colombians might be arriving with guns, and that those two guys in his house will probably have stolen the money they found in the crawlspace, and that Hank will probably still be looking for 'Heisenberg' and I reckon there'll be a few strings drawing him back into the game.

were the two guys in his house not the same ones that he killed though?

Mister Six

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on October 12, 2011, 09:57:55 AM
were the two guys in his house not the same ones that he killed though?

Oh, maybe. But that wouldn't change the fact that the money is gone; if they took the duffle bag after he escaped the house then hid it at one of their places there's no way he'd be able to get it back.

mr. logic

I'm not seen it mentioned anywhere, but was it just me that thought maybe Jess suspected Walt had something to do with the poison?  There was something deep in that look they shared.

I'm torn on the poison- it was a bitching last shot, but the mechanics of the plot really don't mesh.  Also, I kind of think Walt sending his neighbour in to his house was the cuntier move.

katzenjammer

Plus he's probably also a bit skint after Skylar giving loads to whatshisface, buying the carwash, paying Hank's medical bills and Saul's fees.  And he's unemployed.

I don't think there is any doubt that they will go back to cooking straight away.

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on October 12, 2011, 11:01:07 AM
I don't think there is any doubt that they will go back to cooking straight away.

Absolutely. I'm struggling to think of a credible reason why he wouldn't start cooking immediately. They've done a great job of bleeding his cash savings, and he still wants to take care of his family after his death. Not to mention that Walt is at the point of no return. He's a meth cook. That's what he does. After becoming a nobody he finally had something to be proud of.

The only issue here is the ability to produce at anywhere near an industrial level. He surely can't set up a super meth lab, given that even a connected and experienced villian such as Gus and his German cover was able to be probed deeply by Hank.

Anyone else very much mourning the passing of Gus? The scenes with Hector were so unnervingly taut, I will really miss his calm veneer masking tormented and ruthless rage.

Jamie Oliver is fat

How can he sell the meth without Gus?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Jamie Oliver is fat on October 12, 2011, 01:38:01 PM
How can he sell the meth without Gus?

1. He builds it up from scratch, as he was attempting to do throughout season 1.

2. He makes use of the supply chain that already existed from Gus, via Mike.

3. He sells it wholesale.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on October 12, 2011, 12:03:12 PM
Anyone else very much mourning the passing of Gus?

Certainly, but it's also a shame to lose Hector. It's hard to believe how much Mark Margolis managed to wring out of that character, given that he only had limited facial movements and a bell to work with (apart from the flashbacks, obviously, during which he was no less effective). The scene in which he goes to the DEA to 'talk' with Hank is one of my favourite scenes from the show as a whole.

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on October 12, 2011, 02:06:11 PM
Certainly, but it's also a shame to lose Hector. It's hard to believe how much Mark Margolis managed to wring out of that character, given that he only had limited facial movements and a bell to work with (apart from the flashbacks, obviously, during which he was no less effective). The scene in which he goes to the DEA to 'talk' with Hank is one of my favourite scenes from the show as a whole.

Yes am also in awe of how well he managed to portray his rage at the end when he makes eye contact finally with Gus.
The scene out in desert with Tuco and Hector against Walt and Jesse being another favourite of mine! This show really is fantastic in every sense!

dr_christian_troy

The bittersweet thing about eliminating the competition, will be that it narrows down who Hank suspects is Heisenberg. If the blue meth continues to appear, Hank will just get closer and closer.

All the emphasis on security cameras suggests to me that Gus had some insurance in place. His past too must come into fruition, and I imagine there will be a conflict and reluctance for Mike as to succumbing to working for or with Walt, especially if he is aware of Gus' elusive Chilean past.

According to some of the Season 4 promo posters, Walt was 'Highly Corrosive'. In Season 5, he will be straight-up 'Toxic'.

Yes can see that happening alright. Gus had a new identity as well so there is definitely something lurking in the background with them however i keep thinking where were the Chileans when he was fighting with the Mexican Cartel?

Was also watching some old episodes of recent and was reminded of the "no half measures"  scene with Mike and how that impacted the transformation of Walt to Heisenburg.

kitsofan34

Can anyone tell me why I can't find series 3 DVD anywhere?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 13, 2011, 03:46:17 PM

I honestly can't tell you why. I seemed to find it with comparative ease.

Do you need it to be region 2?

Paaaaul

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 13, 2011, 03:46:17 PM

It's not been released in the UK yet.

kitsofan34

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on October 13, 2011, 03:55:59 PM
I honestly can't tell you why. I seemed to find it with comparative ease.

Do you need it to be region 2?

Ideally, yes.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: kitsofan34 on October 13, 2011, 07:44:22 PM
Ideally, yes.

No release date as such, although I guess it will depend on whether Fiver USA and/or FX will be showing it first (if they haven't already).

Mister Six

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on October 12, 2011, 03:27:39 PM
All the emphasis on security cameras suggests to me that Gus had some insurance in place.

I dunno, I can't see a criminal as canny as Gus keeping recordings of the security camera footage, as most of it would incriminate him.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2011, 06:28:38 AM
I dunno, I can't see a criminal as canny as Gus keeping recordings of the security camera footage, as most of it would incriminate him.

I see it as insurance in the event of his death, but also Gus was in control of the security camera in the lab post-Victor, when Jesse was off with Mike too, so could have very easily recorded as plenty or as little amount of footage of Walt working alone in the lab, or those moments of rebellion. There was that time when Walt shouts at the camera and tries to stare it down - pure speculation, but I'd love it if Hank receives the footage and finds himself staring back.

Squink

Quote from: Mister Six on October 14, 2011, 06:28:38 AM

Agreed. I think the security camera thing was one of the weakest parts of the recent batch of episodes, so I hope that's all buried now. It just doesn't add up that Gus would risk his business like that. If it turns out he kept archived recordings of Walt at work that's going to seem really out of character.

samadriel

For a bit there I thought that getting Tio to the DEA HQ was just a plot to make Gus get out of the facility and leave his cameras so that Walt could set a deadly trap without fear of being watched.  Turned out to be rather more direct than that.