Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad- Season 4

Started by actwithoutwords, July 12, 2011, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

No, that's what Shaggy from Scooby Doo looks like these days.

I had a slight thought it was Walt as well. That party did look like fun though extra point for playing Flavour Flav's Unga Bunga Bunga, a proper party tune!

I think we will see Mike and Walt join forces. I think Mike knows he is expendable to Gus now. The scene where he finds a part of Victor's blood on his wrist seemed to emit a realisation in Mike. We have also seen Mike doting over his grandaughter too.

Funcrusher

Hmm. I haven't had the same problems as some with the first two episodes: enjoyed them for the most part, except I didn't find Walt's behaviour in ep2 all that plausible. Just watched ep3 and was finding myself getting bored. Nothing we haven't seen before from Marie and Jesse. Why should I care if Walt buys the car wash or some other business? The only advance in the plot in the whole thing was Hank getting a little more involved in things. It all just felt like filler. I'm sure there are interesting developments to come, but it's taking a while to get going.

Bennygaylord

Mildly Diverting

Very slow ep again. Hank becoming involved in the case could make it in danger of going more than a little bit Dexter. I'm not judging yet, but I hope they up the pace soon.

Also, Walt being completely belligerent at the money he spent on the champagne didn't ring true. 'Of course she's right ya numpty' was my thought, and Walt would normally be the first to make the same exact point that she did.

And how many episodes until we see a reformed Jessie kicking the low-life out of the house and then a 30 second montage of him reinvigorated and cleaning the place up?

mr. logic

After sticking up for last week's I thought the latest episode was poor. The ending was good, albeit a little predictable, and should gets things kicked off properly. (Though I haven't watched Dexter.)

The thought occured that the lab notes could become like the ring in the 4th season of The Wire.

Edley

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on August 01, 2011, 09:33:57 PM
Also, Walt being completely belligerent at the money he spent on the champagne didn't ring true. 'Of course she's right ya numpty' was my thought, and Walt would normally be the first to make the same exact point that she did.
Although neither of them seem worried about him living in an expensive apartment.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Edley on August 01, 2011, 10:43:05 PM
Although neither of them seem worried about him living in an expensive apartment.

Or buying a car wash for 800,000.

squinky

I thought it was plausible that Walt would get annoyed about someone else pointing out a flaw in his behaviour that he should have picked up on himself. Although, yes, the fact that he's been an idiot two weeks in a row is maybe a bit harder to explain.

I haven't been bored these last few episodes, at least partly because I think I'm less invested in Breaking Bad's thriller elements than I am in its family drama. And Marie's always been one of my favourite characters so I'm glad to see more of her. She wasn't doing anything especially new but I could watch Betsy Brandt spin domestic fantasies all day long.

Anyway, that's not why I'm here. I'm here to talk about how much I'm enjoying Walt and Skyler's baby and its reaction shots:

If you're going to dive into a life of crime, that is definitely the baby you want to take with you.

Artemis

I'm happy enough with the pace of this. Shit, we've got three killer seasons behind us; I'm relaxed about three slower episodes, and I think the last few seconds of this episode said a lot about where things are going. The stage is now set: Jesse has lost it, Walt believes his money is clean and is semi-prepared for Gus, with Skyler kind of on board, and Hank is about to et motivation to go after Walt without realising it.

If we have another couple of episodes where we're basically at the same point, then yes - we have an issue, but I think we'll be OK.

Bennygaylord

Ginyard

Bit dull but I suppose that's the best way to get us to understand where Hank's at. Great to see his obsession switch at the end back to what he does best. A nicely paced build-up to him sussing out who Walt really is would be champion.

dr_christian_troy

It's all part of the plan. There's an episode in Season 1 that is just as slow-paced, but nevertheless completely appropriate. The description for next week's episode (I won't post it here, it's on the official page if in doubt) implies
Spoiler alert
the action picking up.
[close]
[nb]Not actually any spoiler here, just a word that implies something.[/nb]

The bleakest element I can foresee is that since this is only about 7 months in the BB world since the first episode, the end of the show could see Walt succumbing to cancer, leaving Jesse with the consequences of the hell Walt bought him into. On the other hand, an extremely awkward confrontation between Walt and Hank could be quite something too. Either way, I'm loving it, and I can't wait to see where it will all lead.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: squinky on August 01, 2011, 11:35:18 PM
I thought it was plausible that Walt would get annoyed about someone else pointing out a flaw in his behaviour that he should have picked up on himself. Although, yes, the fact that he's been an idiot two weeks in a row is maybe a bit harder to explain.

Also, he's a control freak - that's why he makes the best blue meth available. Having to give up that control to his (somewhat) estranged wife is going to frustrate him. You can see that building throughout the episode, from the moment Skylar appears, through the meeting with Saul and giving up prematurely on her negotiation skills. Compromising with her is unavoidable, and he still loves her, to a certain extent - so he didn't fly off the handle at the end of the episode because he knew she was right - he was just very reluctant to admit that.

dr_christian_troy

I think the end of Episode 1 (of Season 4) also gives way to the new understanding between Walt and Skylar. She has come to terms with his situation to a point, and Walt (IMHO) would rather she be supportive now that she knows, rather than not having his family (and thus defeating the whole initial objective of getting into the business in the first place).

I also think he has reverted slightly to Season 1 Walt, as he is now without power in all respects - Gus (for now) is a step ahead of him, Jesse is jaded and distant, and Mike is battling with his own demons. Ultimately, the only person he can currently rely on is Skylar. In all cases, he is currently powerless - for now, I think he is just biding his time. There's not much else he can do until something in the circumstances changes dramatically - which, I believe, it will, very soon.

His dark side, Heisenberg, will more than likely reemerge when Walt knows a way of having the upper hand. For now, he is acting on this instinct to no success, because he is restrained by the circumstances. When there's a way to change the status, he will emerge as the 'danger' (of which the trailer suggests he is, but we are yet to see this). For now, he - and us - will have to wait for something to give him the opportunity to strike out.

riotinlagos

This is a bit shite -
http://www.avclub.com/articles/breaking-bads-future-at-amc-in-question,59832/

Not only does AMC want to lower overall production costs, it also wants to shorten Breaking Bad's final season to only six or eight episodes, as opposed to the usual 13. Naturally, the show's creative team rejected that idea, which is why it began quietly shopping around for a Plan B.

Bennygaylord

Little Hoover

Quote from: Ginyard on August 02, 2011, 06:42:06 PM
Bit dull but I suppose that's the best way to get us to understand where Hank's at. Great to see his obsession switch at the end back to what he does best. A nicely paced build-up to him sussing out who Walt really is would be champion.

Alternatively it could also lead to (there's probably no need to spoiler speculation, but I will anyway
Spoiler alert
Hank concluding that Gale was Heisenberg
[close]

Squink

The way they slow everything down in this show is its biggest strength. It makes the pay off so much greater when a big dramatic scene happens. Also, that was a fantastic use of Fever Ray's "If I Had a Heart" in this week's episode.

Cheeky Monkey

Since Mister Six asked and I am a vain sort, you can find the Breaking Bad articles I write here:

http://www.denofgeek.com/_tag/342/0/0/25/Breaking%20Bad/

I really love that Fever Ray track, and the albumthat spawned it.

actwithoutwords

Was alright I thought. At least the end pointed towards where things are going. I find Walt's increasingly strutting demeanour quite alienating though. He used to be a ball of repressed rage, but he carries himself with a sense of arrogance now. Obviously that's character development, and probably an inevitable result of what has brought him to this point, but it does make for a less compelling character.
Still finding the Jesse stuff just annoying. The grotesquery of the goings on in his house is just too OTT.

That's an interesting article about AMC. Odd how things ebb and flow like that. Looked for a while like they were genuine successors/rivals to HBO. Hopefully Mad Men doesn't start going down the toilet.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: actwithoutwords on August 03, 2011, 05:54:41 PM
Hopefully Mad Men doesn't start going down the toilet.

OT: Mad Men-wise, they're hoping for three more seasons I believe. Mad Men speculation -
Spoiler alert
Season 5 will reflect the time between the seasons, bringing us to the end of 1966/beginning of 1967, with Season 6 and Season 7 leading us through and into 1969/1970 i.e. a new decade. Wishful thinking I guess, but for 7 seasons to cover 10 years of these characters lives would suit me just fine, providing it has a good send-off - I think Sally will reach significant developments, what with her being approximately 16 if they reach 69/70. I'll reserve more Mad Men chat for the eventual Mad Men Season 5 thread...one day (sigh).
[close]

Bennygaylord

The Mad Men is fucking shite.

dr_christian_troy

Mister Six

actwithoutwords

Have been rewatching a lot of Season 1 and 2 this week for some reason. Does put the current season in some perspective. It seems an awful lot more claustrophobic now. The direction used to be a lot more arty and abstract, rather than the recent flashiness. It seems unbearably heavy and bleak these days as well. The lightness of touch has gone a bit. For the moment anyway.
I miss Walter Junior and the family stuff too, and Walt's teaching. The contrast between the violence and misery of the drug world and Walt's life at school and at home was one of the major hooks of the show. Walt's just all business now, which is more straightforward.
I think the show is also suffering from Skyler having found out what Walter has been up to. It had to happen at some point, but their relationship is not remotely as compelling as previous now that tension is gone. The major remaining tension in terms of Walt's secret is Walt v Hank, which has been put to the side so far, but is at least going to kick off from now on hopefully.

Obviously it's far too early to judge the season. I've been disappointed that the Gus vs the cartels angle hasn't been developed yet, but there's plenty of time for that. I'd really like to see more Juarez-based stuff. It's such a huge issue that the show could really make a lot of hay with.

Anyway. Just watching the episode where Saul first appears again. The cold open with Badger and the undercover cop is just beautiful. And Jesse's line "When the going gets tough, you don't want a criminal lawyer, you want a *criminal* lawyer" is a sublime gag. Odenkirk bursts into the show like an absolute whirlwind. Possibly my favourite episode.

Mister Six

I rather like the fact that they brought Skyler in. It felt a bit like she was dragging the show down during the later episodes and I'm not sure how they could have spun out her being oblivious any more, especially after she and Walt split. Right now she's providing an interesting new perspective on Walter and his job, and I'm rather enjoying it.

I also suspect that the Mexicans will come back in force towards the end of this season, or at the start of five. I can see Walt killing Gus, taking over his throne and thinking that it's all plain sailing, only to discover that there are dozens of furious Mexicans waiting to take him down.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: Mister Six on August 08, 2011, 06:52:27 AM
I rather like the fact that they brought Skyler in. It felt a bit like she was dragging the show down during the later episodes and I'm not sure how they could have spun out her being oblivious any more, especially after she and Walt split.

Yeah, I agree that it was totally necessary. It's a difficult point for any show where they start having to resolve and develop the tensions that defined the premise in the first place. Betty Draper turned into an annoying irrelevance once she found out about Don, would be a pity if Skyler went the same way.

In other news, episode 4 is a cracker. In one fell swoop addressed a bunch of the stuff I mentioned above. Great cold open. And Walt and Skyler's rehearsal was genuinely hilarious. The only bum note was the unnecessarily expository
Spoiler alert
scene between Gus and Mike
[close]

One thing I'm not sure about was
Spoiler alert
Hank's behaviour with Walt. They're obviously going for a "does he/doesn't he suspect" angle, but he seemed to see-saw from the extremely pointed WW suggestion, to convincing naivety about Walt. Fine line between ambiguity and inconsistency I suppose.
[close]

It was interesting going from old episodes to the latest one. Walt and Jesse are impressively dead to the world compared to their earlier incarnations. A bit less interesting to watch though. Character development possibly at the expense of watchability.

Johnny Townmouse

I have been finding the present season way too slow. This is not just an issue of 'focussing on the human drama at the expense of dumb 24-style action'. It is just not cramming plot and interesting set-ups anymore - instead it is slow-burning in a way that I find tiresome and unambitious. I agree that the dynamic of Skylar knowing about Walt's activities has burst some of the dramatic tension, but that's what Hank is for, and frankly having him laid up, rather than actively going after Heisenberg, has meant that we are four episodes in and nobody is close to Walt.

Episode 4 was much better, and in fact the scene between Walt and Skylar practising their lines was excellently writtem. But here we are four episodes later and all we know is that Jesse is fucked up about killing Gale, and is danger because of that, Walt is in danger for the very same reason, and Walt and Skylar are going to get the car wash. And Hank and Marie are under strain, although Hank is starting to come out of his shell because of the case notes. Four episodes? Really?

Last week I accidentally starting watching the episode from the end. So I thought the show started with Walt and Skylar celebrating getting the car wash, and then Hank picking up the lab notes. I thought to myself 'THAT'S the show I've come to love - they've cut out all the boring shit and raced ahead. This is going to be a great episode.' Then the episode ended and I had to go back and watch 45mins of excruciatingly dull TV.

The whole Jesse thing is so played out I'm amazed the actor's themselves didn't protest. The scene with Jesse coming home to see people wriitng on the walls, and some woman being scratched on the back was pathetic. The whole point about that house is that it is in a middle-class suburb. Have the writers even been to a quiet American suburb of expensive detached houses? I have, and after about 30mins of the party starting the cops would have been called. They get called for a lot less.

I assumed that this season (being, as it is, the penultimate season) would see Walt very quickly rise to the top of the syndicate, ousting Gus and then dealing with the shit that we can see is going to rain down due to the hit from last season. I feel like it will happen, but I'm depressed to see that in terms of a narrative arc, they see it coming at the end of the season, rather than the start. Shame.

The quirky, genuinely brave and unusually compelling writing of the previous three seasons really seems to have disappeared. Episode 4 was certainly an improvement, but a lot needs to happen next week if I am to consider this show one of the best of all time.

actwithoutwords

Yeah, I agree with most of that. Episode 4 was definitely a step in the right direction, but I just get a sense that the writing has taken a turn away from the quirky individualism of before towards more hoary and lazy tropes.