Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad- Season 4

Started by actwithoutwords, July 12, 2011, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

Jess taking a drugged out girl to his room- stopping only to barely note the missing seventy eight thousand dollars- before switching on the computer to play Mario Karts was an inspired moment in a cracking episode.

Though, on that, did Mike just get lucky with the timing of the theft or what? Didn't quite get that.

The 'rehearsal' was a brave moment of broad comedy which paid off a treat.

thugler

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 08, 2011, 02:41:39 PM
45mins of excruciatingly dull TV.

Kind of ridiculous. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: thugler on August 08, 2011, 05:58:54 PM
Kind of ridiculous. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Not that ridiculous if you consider that I had watched the final five minutes of the show first. But aside from that, and just out of interest, what on earth in episode 3 had you on the edge of your seat?

36    3    "Open House"    David Slade    Sam Catlin    July 31, 2011    1.71[3]
The episode begins as Walt furiously notices that a motion-detecting surveillance camera has been installed in the lab. Later that day, Skyler convinces Walt in a meeting with Saul to buy the car wash by mentioning how the owner insulted his manhood. She devises a plan to trick the owner into selling by having a hired-gun (supplied by Saul) pretend to be a water-tester who's shutting down the business out of concerns over contaminants. The owner promptly sells to her, agreeing to an even lower price than her original offer. Jesse is still feeling numb from recent events, attempting to clear his head with nostalgic go-kart trips. He continues to open his house up for all-night drug fueled orgies, deliberately throwing piles of money in the midst of the chaos. Feeling stressed from her husband's coldness, Marie renews her kleptomania. She starts stealing objects from real-estate open houses, where she also makes up elaborate stories about who she is, but is eventually caught by a real-estate agent. A livid Hank pulls strings with a senior cop to get her out of being charged. The same cop drops by to leave the lab notes, found in Gale's apartment, for Hank to look at in case he can help them with their investigation. Hank initially shoves away the notebook, but begins to read it later that night.

Space ghost

even more ridiculous when you consider that.

why on earth would you do that for?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What's with Jesse shaving his head. Is that the show's universal symbol for a character going all badass?

Johnny Townmouse

Quote from: Space ghost on August 09, 2011, 03:46:25 PM
even more ridiculous when you consider that.

why on earth would you do that for?

Why on earth would I do that for?

Space ghost

what are you stupid or something

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 09, 2011, 04:32:13 PM
What's with Jesse shaving his head. Is that the show's universal symbol for a character going all badass?

Actor's receding hairline, maybe?

Johnny Townmouse

Space ghost

what are you doing this for!

Johnny Townmouse

Johnny Townmouse

Just having trouble with the grammar.

I explained that I accidentally watched the final 5mins of last week's show. I must have tapped on the timeline by accident. I guess that could make me stupid or something.

pk1yen

I still don't quite get why weird-eyes violence-man was at Jesse's house ...

How did he know about the robber? Were we supposed to infer that Jesse was being trailed because of the way the CCTV camera was following just him, and they therefore caught the robber because they were watching Jesse all the time?

Perhaps I missed something. It just seemed quite a big gap for us to fill in a show with usual easy-to-follow really nicely structured plots.

I also didn't recognise one of the "previously on Breaking Bad" scenes at the start (the one with the laser-pointer rifles). Was it from a previous series,  presume? If so which one?

And what was with the (awesome) refrigerated truck scene at the start? Who were the shooty guys?

I wouldn't be particularly surprised if I'd missed an episode somehow.

defmem

Quote from: pk1yen on August 10, 2011, 09:35:02 AM
I still don't quite get why weird-eyes violence-man was at Jesse's house ...

How did he know about the robber? Were we supposed to infer that Jesse was being trailed because of the way the CCTV camera was following just him, and they therefore caught the robber because they were watching Jesse all the time?

I think they've been tailing him the whole time, definitely implied when the Tony Todd lookalike was sat watching Walt & Skyler's house. Although yeh, bit strange and ambiguous.

QuoteI also didn't recognise one of the "previously on Breaking Bad" scenes at the start (the one with the laser-pointer rifles). Was it from a previous series,  presume? If so which one?

And what was with the (awesome) refrigerated truck scene at the start? Who were the shooty guys?

Both regarding the Cartel. The guy who was shot was in charge and was having none of it (i.e. 'No, you can't kill Walt')  from Gus, so Gus got to him first. I assumed the opening sequence was the Cartel starting their revenge scheme

Space ghost

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 09, 2011, 10:57:59 PM
Just having trouble with the grammar.

sorry not typing in my native tongue

holyzombiejesus

I watched the last 3 episodes of series 3 last night so really want to read bits of this thread for spoilers, but must resist as I'll wait for the DVDs to come out (although I'd imagine that won't be for another 6 months or so).
I really liked Gail (?) and hope that Jesse doesn't shot him but don't hold out much hope for him.

I like how Jesse says 'bitch'.

Johnny Textface

thugler

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 14, 2011, 11:53:01 AMbut must resist as I'll wait for the DVDs to come out (although I'd imagine that won't be for another 6 months or so).

That's sheer madness, you'll drive yourself insane!

Ginyard

Quote from: mr. logic on August 08, 2011, 04:16:23 PM

Though, on that, did Mike just get lucky with the timing of the theft or what? Didn't quite get that.

I think it implies that there's someone there watching Jess. Its unlikely Gus would leave him without observing his every move, just to make sure he doesn't announce that he killed Gale via Karaoke.

Great episode, much better than the previous one. Aside from the spectacular opening, I really enjoyed seeing Gale's notebook. Beautiful handwriting and evidence of his meticulous nature. Perhaps the best bit was seeing his video. A master of cheese complete with costume further revealing the amiable man he clearly was, with the marvellous counterpoint of seeing a terribly terribly horrified Walt.

Little Hoover

I didn't miss the full version of his song being posted here did I? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo

Johnny Townmouse

Thanks hoover, lovely.

I thought the use of the karaoke clip was inspired and harked back to some of the more surreal and less obvious plot/theme choices of previous seasons. I was hoping it wouldn't be some bit of CCTV or perhaps some of Gale spying on Walt, or something equally 'dramatic' and 'tense'. Instead it was much more imaginative and interesting.

My faith is partially restored, but tonight's episode frankly has to be brilliant. Anything less than that will seriously dent my love of this show.

Edit: Interesting discussion on youtube (to some extent) about whether this is alluding to some aspect of Gale's dodgy past. This is probably filmed in Thailand...

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on August 14, 2011, 01:26:07 PM
Edit: Interesting discussion on youtube (to some extent) about whether this is alluding to some aspect of Gale's dodgy past. This is probably filmed in Thailand...

On the official site, you can view the 'interactive case file' on Gale's murder - there appears to be a photo of Gale taken that may suggest a previous conviction.

Theoretically, it would make perfect sense that he turns out to have had previous convictions related to sex offences with children: over the four seasons, there appears to be an emphasis on Jesse being a 'protector of children', or at least having a connection with them - a moment of bonding with his old band mate's kid at the kitchen table when he tries to stay the night (following the trailer being locked up); worrying for the safety of the Rockwell kid during the attempt to get his stolen money back when visiting the crack couple's house; his anger and attempted retribution over the death of his Latino girlfriend's sibling...later discovering Gale was a sex offender who interfered with children may help his recovery of getting over shooting him, and help him move on. There's no doubt in my mind that this recurring theme of Jesse and his connection to children will prove relevant by the end of the series as a whole.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Interesting. I'd not thought of that, but it seems so obvious now that you've pointed it out. And of course there's his little brother, which is probably where it all started.

You could perhaps extend it to other characters too. Walt is in some ways a father figure to Jesse and we've also seen Hank taking Walt Jr. under his wing.

Johnny Townmouse

Nice one Dr - yes, Jesse is very paternal. In fact, I'm surprised that there wasn't a follow up to the little ginger kid in the crack couple's house. That seemed like something that was being seeded. I agree Claude, this is something that was initially shown in terms of his brother, and the way Jesse covered for him about the drugs.

It doesn't have to be underage sexual offences - of course it could be related to drugs and the production of opiate synthetics for instance - but I agree that if it some kiddy-fiddling back-story emerges Jesse is going to be exonerated.

My prediction for this season is that
Spoiler alert
Walt will off Gus in order to make him Kingpin, and in doing so can order Mike not to kill Jesse. And then Walt will have to face the wrath of the top-man execution from last season. I'm probably wrong, and in fact, perhaps Jesse is being taken to see something that will prove Gale was a nonce to snap him out of his silliness.
[close]

Not really spoilers, I know, as I'm probably wrong.

Johnny Townmouse

Well, some of you might have enjoyed the pace and the cinematography of that fifth episode.

Spoiler alert
I did too, but for fucksake move the story forward PLEASE! Literally all we understand is that Gus has somehow knocked Jesse out of his self-pitying reverie and he will have a more active part in the business. In other scenes, Walt might be moving back in with his family, they finally have the car wash (yeah, only took five episodes to wrap that up) and he has planted some info in the mind of Hank regarding Heisenberg. As far as I am concerned, this should all have been sorted out by the end of the second episode. Frustrated from Chipping Norton.
[close]

actwithoutwords

Yeah, I found what ostensibly appeared was going to be a high octane episode pretty boring. Dare I say it, I'm starting to lose investment in the characters. Walt and Skyler potentially getting back together was joyless, and after Walt's self-destructive discussion with Hank at dinner, I pretty much want the prick caught as soon as possible.

surreal

AMC has finally ordered 16 episodes for the final season next year, which is good news anyway:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1016310/breaking_bad_season_5_confirmed.html

Johnny Townmouse

At this rate the last episode of the fifth season will see Walt and Skylar finally getting the keys for the car wash and Jesse will clean his house up a bit.

I have to say I still have hope they can pull this back. I am really happy that they have officially announced this will end next season.

dr_christian_troy

What with the timeline over the four series - 7 months or so - the cancer could very easily reappear, and I think Walt almost hopes for it to do so. He's on a self-destructive path, and by giving Hank the incentive to continue his investigation, I don't believe that Walt so much wants to be caught, but he does want his 'time and effort' to be acknowledged in some capacity, and if he does go down, he's going down with a reputation for 'genius'. If he dies, then he dies with a legacy, presumably leaving Jesse with the prison time.

Jesse, with his re-instated purpose, may very likely begin to see Mike as a surrogate role-model, but what with the jaded humanisation of Mike as a character, I believe Gus' overall intentions may backfire. The series is aching for Mike to ally with Walt eventually, it's just a matter of time. The cartel is clearly on the sidelines, appearing from the shadows when they can, and I'm certain that will prove substantial by the end of this season.

There's a definite emphasis on security cameras too. Walt at Pollos, Hank discovering the Pollos lead...It could be the beginning of the end.

...Especially since as of now there are officially 24 episodes left.