Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Show Me The Funny

Started by 23 Daves, July 19, 2011, 09:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Aploplectic on August 26, 2011, 08:50:36 AM
I don't think there's anyone who would doubt that Pat is a nice guy – that seems to be the main reason that he won.  Obviously there's a lot to be said for coming across as a nice guy on stage, and I can certainly see why people would enjoy his style, but I did think that his material was pretty weak.  The joke about
Spoiler alert
spending most of his holidays in customs
[close]
is definitely not original, and I am almost certain that I have heard variations on the
Spoiler alert
'he's on fire' and 'real guns in paintball'
[close]
bits as well.  It is possible that these are just very well worn topics (although that's not really an excuse) and, if we're being very charitable, it is just about possible that he originated these jokes and had them pinched by a bigger act for Comedy Roadshow or something.  Either way, I thought they were pretty stale and uninteresting. Still, I did think that he performed well (aside from saying 'thanks' after every laugh) and he probably just about deserved to win.

I thought Dan was good again, but the
Spoiler alert
dog in a bin
[close]
bit didn't really work for me.  I thought his opening joke was funny, and I was a bit disappointed when the set seemed to tail off towards the end.  I didn't really enjoy any of Tiff's material, which was a shame because I thought a lot of what we had seen through the series from her was very strong (last week's 'I'm like a fine wine' bit particularly).

The problem with the show, as has been the case throughout the series, was that there wasn't enough actual performance.  I appreciate that we got to see the entire thing this time, but 15 minutes of stand up in a show of an hour and a quarter is pretty poor value.  That said, I did think that the mentoring bits were worthwhile – certainly more worthwhile than watching the contestants run aimlessly around Liverpool visiting hairdressers.  If the entire series had had little challenges like the ones we saw last night (where there was a clear objective in terms of improving the contestant's stand up) then the first half of each episode wouldn't have felt like such a waste of time.

The advice from the judges seemed pretty poor throughtout I thought, particularly for Tiff. All this 'show us more of who you are' made no sense and arguably resulted in her 2 worst sets - last night and the one with the story about the seaside. I didn't rate her particularly highly but they have definitely pushed her down a route that doesn't come naturally to her.

Jemble Fred

Kate Copstick's clearly been such a hit this series, if they do it again they should bring her back, alongside similarly worthy, successful, relevant and evergreen comic talents like Simon Fanshawe and David Copperfield.

Petey Pate

Kate Copstick, who's previously appeared with the likes of the Chuckle Brothers and Basil Brush.

23 Daves

If only it had been like the play "Comdians" by Trevor Griffiths - one of them goes mad at the Hammersmith Apollo and stabs a female mannequin in the chest with a pin as tons of fake blood pours down, the other does a shit old-school Pebble Mill at One routine, and another pretends to be Dave Allen, all while a chirpy cockney judge gives his rather smug opinions of the commercial viability of their acts.

"And remember... we can't all be Max Bygraves, but we can bloody well try". 

Last week at Edinburgh (we'd literally just dropped our bags off at the hotel) my wife and I were handed a flyer for a Free Fringe show just down from where we were staying on Cowgate. It was 3 acts and a compare with a combined audience of about 20. The final act was Pat Monahan and he did 15 mins including the 5 mins he did on last nights SMTF. His weakest material was that 5 mins, the rest was really good and pretty spontaneous, (maybe he has a ton of pre prepared material for people from Ohio or for venues that have car parks above and below them?)  chatting to the audience and getting big laughs.
Later that day we saw an awful magic/science act, the fantastic PJ Men and went to the late show at Just The Tonic cave (when no other than Charlie Chuck turned up!) The following day was Tony Law and S. Lee leaving us with a gaping hole around 9pm. My wife saw a D. Gorman poster and mentioned she'd like to see him however he had sold out so we ended up (based on his 15 mins at the free event and the fact that all the acts we'd seen were my choices) on Pat Monahan. He was a great entertainer. His material was a bit hit and miss but overall his charisma and dicking about with the crowd made it a thoroughly enjoyable hour.
I forecast a decent mainstream TV career, maybe starting with hosting  a kids show before moving on to bigger things.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: kenneth trousers on August 26, 2011, 06:17:31 PM
S. Lee leaving us with a gaping hole around 9pm.

Once they start dropping the mic and walking into the crowd it's only a matter of time before audience interaction develops into full blown sexual assault.

23 Daves

Quote from: kenneth trousers on August 26, 2011, 06:17:31 PM
Last week at Edinburgh (we'd literally just dropped our bags off at the hotel) my wife and I were handed a flyer for a Free Fringe show just down from where we were staying on Cowgate. It was 3 acts and a compare with a combined audience of about 20. The final act was Pat Monahan and he did 15 mins including the 5 mins he did on last nights SMTF. His weakest material was that 5 mins, the rest was really good and pretty spontaneous, (maybe he has a ton of pre prepared material for people from Ohio or for venues that have car parks above and below them?)  chatting to the audience and getting big laughs.
Later that day we saw an awful magic/science act, the fantastic PJ Men and went to the late show at Just The Tonic cave (when no other than Charlie Chuck turned up!) The following day was Tony Law and S. Lee leaving us with a gaping hole around 9pm. My wife saw a D. Gorman poster and mentioned she'd like to see him however he had sold out so we ended up (based on his 15 mins at the free event and the fact that all the acts we'd seen were my choices) on Pat Monahan. He was a great entertainer. His material was a bit hit and miss but overall his charisma and dicking about with the crowd made it a thoroughly enjoyable hour.
I forecast a decent mainstream TV career, maybe starting with hosting  a kids show before moving on to bigger things.

That's really interesting, Kenneth.  My worry about this show all along is that it hasn't really given us an impression of quite what each act is capable of, and Patrick in particular has just come across as a likable and charismatic chappie with a love of acting the tit, much like many New Faces acts of yore.  Nothing special there, then.  However, that fitted the narrative they clearly wanted to build around him.

Also, all have had long careers as club comedians and therefore haven't honed their television personalities yet - there's frequently a huge difference between a fantastic club comedian with superb audience interaction and one who works well on the small screen.  Not much the producers could have done to acknowledge that, though.