Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brrrrrm!

Started by rudi, July 20, 2011, 10:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudi

Hullo there, I'm after advice.

I want a great driving game; not a sim (I have the F1 series) but, rather, one that's aimed at funnnnnnn.

For PC.

Although I have the X-box controller n stuff.

Advice?

ThickAndCreamy

GRID is currently £2.99 on Steam until tomorrow night.

I bought it earlier today, and it's fun enough, although very tough. Then again I'm playing with a keyboard.

rudi

OK, that's a start. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE BEST IS THOUGH.

rudi

OK, that's dowloading (although I notice it says it uses LOL NO Dirt Engine which was fucking shit).

Zetetic

Um, it's not very helpful, but I found GRID a bit sterile in the end and preferred DIRT2 (despite all it's shouty menus). But the engine's practically the same, so you'd probably hate that too.

chocky909

rudi

Thank god it was only £3. Ity's exactly the same controls (steering a cow on ice), sound (late nineties, like being stuck in a lift with Groove Armada), graphics (pretty, but take about a week to load) and engine (fucking balls).

I think I can chalk that up as a waste of my money.

rudi

rudi

OK, maybe not the finest driving game, but, as an arcade game, I can see this one becoming as addictive as crack. Ta Chock!

Neil

For arcade-style driving fun, I'd highly recommend Burnout Paradise.  Should be able to pick it up for pennies now.  Might dig that out again myself, as it was a lot of fun.

Wilbur

Is Carmaggedon still available ? I may have to dig that out for some pedestrian splatting fun....I may be aging myself here.

mcbpete

This has always been my favourite PC racing game -

(4D Sports Driving / Stunts)

madhair60

Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2011, 04:41:58 PM
For arcade-style driving fun, I'd highly recommend Burnout Paradise.  Should be able to pick it up for pennies now.  Might dig that out again myself, as it was a lot of fun.

Yes, this.  This is the best answer for PC.  It is piss cheap.

Also, Split/Second because fucking look at it.

Neil

I got Split/Second pre-owned, but never played it much...largely because I was captivated by Blur!  So that's another recommendation;  it's basically Mario Kart with a grown-up setting.  Damn shame it never really took off - I understand there was some kind of issue with the promotion or launch - but there are still a bunch of people on there racing.

madhair60

Just looked up Blur on Youtube.  That's gone right on my list.

A friend gifted me GRID, and it's just finished downloading.  I don't normally like "sim" driving games, but we'll see how this is.

wheatgod

Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge. Are these on PC? IF not, get a fucking console you prick!

ThickAndCreamy

Wheatgod is right, they are the greatest Arcade Racers I've ever played and if you haven't completed them at least three times I suggest you buy them again.

Also, I'm bored of GRID, it's too po faced for my liking, like a shabby uncle who only wants to talk about Jazz.

rudi

Quote from: wheatgod on July 22, 2011, 12:05:20 AM
Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge. Are these on PC? IF not, get a fucking console you prick!

Paradise has just arrived; should I get these two also or are they much the same?

Famous Mortimer

Paradise is open-plan, the other two are structured tracks, if I remember. And 3 has all those destruction mini-games. I nearly completed Paradise on the PS3, but I sort of fancy playing it again on my 360 so I might buy it.

wheatgod

The open plan is alright in Paradise, but 3 and Revenge are just pure raging arcade superfun. Worth the extra purchase!

Famous Mortimer

Actually, you're right. I do like a bit of Revenge, and now I've got a nice HD setup I might have another go at it.

madhair60

Burnout 3 is best.  Revenge over-eggs the pudding

rudi

I currently have Paradise Box Set and loving it to pieces. Vrrrroooooooom! :-D

rudi

Are the other Burnouts this much fun?

This incredibly slight, shallow, visceral fun?

I keep expecting to get bored then I find I'm shouting at some... bastard who won't let me push him off a bridge. :-)

wheatgod

Yes!

As mentioned, the previous games were track based rather than freeform - a different experience but still cool. And CRASH MODE was fantastic - set pieces where you've got to cause as much shiiiiiiiiiit as possible with one throw of the dice (your car).

rudi

Awesomes. When I'm done with this one I'll give one of them a go next.

Any decent motingbike games at all...?

mook

Quote from: rudi on July 25, 2011, 11:56:09 PM
Awesomes. When I'm done with this one I'll give one of them a go next.

Any decent motingbike games at all...?

motorbikes are only any good in the wild.

do you have an xbox?

i'll post you a copy of child of eden - i think you would get it - it's kind of like burnout, but tactile if that makes any sense.

rudi

mook

rudi

Well, mild embarrasment at least.