Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Greg Proops Proopcast - The Smartest Man In The World

Started by 3-d lobster, June 19, 2011, 09:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muggins

Looking forward to seeing him live.  The show starts at 10pm though, is that right?

One of my favourite throwaway lines, which I'll misquote probably, was when he was describing somebody whose dreadlocks were "doing the heavy-lifting on his personality, frankly".

HappyTree

Just started listening to these from the very beginning. On episode 3. My God, can it be true? Have I finally found someone as liberal (US definition) as myself? How many other Americans actually realise the truth so effortlessly? Mama, I'm coming home!

I don't find these shows gut-wrenchingly funny, just indescribably fascinating. A constant, hyperactive stream of sense. I now look forward to my household chores as it gives me the time to listen to the podcasts in peace and fruitful meditation.

Neil

Think I'm totally caught up on these, and am listening back to the old ones again...however, a new one went up yesterday, hooray.

Still can't believe the amount of new, high-quality material he's putting out so regularly.  Startling.

Little Hoover

Good to hear him settling once and for all if it's acceptable for a man to wear crocs.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Key on September 14, 2011, 07:16:34 PM
This weeks was excellent as usual but the Texan crowd were exceptionally frosty towards Greg's diatribes which was quite awkward, forcing him to lean back on some silly voices/impressions for cheap laughs. I think the biggest laugh was when he said the word 'titty.'

I couldn't listen to more than 20 minutes of this one because of Proops' reliance on saying 'Fucking' sarcastically all the time. Could anyone recommend a really good one as an introduction?

HappyTree

Just listening to "Apples" and it's a good one to start with if you like the idea of him ripping apart Gwyneth Paltrow's lala-land view of life. Watch out for his catchphrases "what-not" and "Really?"

I'm getting a bit of Proops fatigue now, but I suppose that's normal if you listen every day in your lunch hour. At some point I'll catch up and have to wait like normal people. But over an extended period of time his sheer urban cynicism can get wearisome. Still, looking forward to my veg soup and roll on Monday lunchtime, looking out the shopping centre cafeteria window with Greg wittering on in my ears.

Mini

Yeah his Gwyneth Paltrow stuff is my favourite. "As you know her kids are named Cornflake and Washtub... She's actually married to an English rock group."

Neil

I was relistening to the one earlier where he goes over her cookbook, and it's also a favourite, but I had forgot the audience was so small in that one.  Doesn't matter, as eventually he gives up on them, and you consequently get sucked deeper into the monologue, which speeds up because there emerges no need to wait for laughs.

DeGrise

The Thanksgiving episode 'Lions' has made me want to celebrate Thanksgiving.

By having sex with a pig.

Superb. Can't wait to see him next week.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: HappyTree on November 26, 2011, 06:54:09 PM
Just listening to "Apples" and it's a good one to start with if you like the idea of him ripping apart Gwyneth Paltrow's lala-land view of life. Watch out for his catchphrases "what-not" and "Really?"

Cheers I'll dig that one out.

phantom_power

The Apples one is the first and only one I have listened to and he did such a bad job of hitting such an easy target that I haven't bothered with any others.

DeGrise

I would argue that is your loss.

But if it's not your thing, listening to more of it would make no sense.

phantom_power

I have always liked Proops which was partly why I was so disappointed that I didn't find it that funny. I didn't think a lot of what he said was legitimate as criticism when there is so much you could mock Paltrow for. Maybe other editions on different subjects might be more up my street. I may dip back into it but I have so many podcasts that I am fast falling behind on I can't be sure I will

Little Hoover

I wouldn't really cite the Paltrow stuff as the best bits, it's a fun diversion, but I'm most enthralled by his political rants, they may not always be the funniest parts but I find them very stirring.

TIAL

Quote from: Neil on November 26, 2011, 07:27:45 PM
I had forgot the audience was so small in that one.  Doesn't matter, as eventually he gives up on them

Haha, was that 'Chops'? That stuck out for me as being a particularly weak(/small) audience, I love how he just has the confidence to plow on with it. I'd have been weeping in a corner with the prospect of doing an hour's improvised standup to such little reaction.

Totally addicted to these right now.

Neil

The witheringly sarcastic deconstruction of a teenie magazine in the latest one is absolute gold, and it's lovely to hear the Canadian crowd enjoying it so much. They're in hysterics! I think I'll listen to this one again, as they seemed more muted at the start so it's intriguing to hear him winning them over so comprehensively. Classic episode.

Lyndon

Quote from: Little Hoover on November 29, 2011, 02:37:52 PM
I wouldn't really cite the Paltrow stuff as the best bits, it's a fun diversion, but I'm most enthralled by his political rants, they may not always be the funniest parts but I find them very stirring.

Yes. I was amazed at his stuff on airport security. When have you ever heard anyone question its necessity? People say it's annoying but it's a whole nother level to say that it's state-endorsed paedophilia and fundamentally wrong.

Mini

Crabwalk

Looking forward to hearing about tonight's show.

Agreed that the latest Proopcast is a winner. Was gurning on the train suppressing my guffaws at the teen mag stuff. Hopefully he'll never get asked another science question though, as his ignorance of that domain was horribly exposed and left him looking a little foolish. With an open floor for questions that's going to happen from time to time I guess, but he's so enlightening about so many other topics it was a shame to hear his misinformed guff about the neutrino controversy.

DeGrise

Very entertaining.

He really is very good indeed. Wish I was going to the Set List shows now.

The questions from the audience were uniformly sycophantic bullshit. Ended the show on a bit of a downer.

Neil

More details please, about the show, and about the questions.

I saw the pics of Hoov and Sqiudy with their arms draped around him on Twitter last night, whispering jokes into his ear like they were old friends. 

Quote from: DeGrise on December 07, 2011, 09:42:24 AM
SLEEP!

And yeah, that's the one.  Beautiful.  I reeeeeally wish he was coming to Northern Ireland for a show.

DeGrise

I didn't want to put any details in before it had been released.

But the questions were all about showing how well those asking the questions knew the podcast, rather than putting him on the spot about a topic. So, for example, we had "can you do your Jeremy Irons impression?" as the last question. A complete waste of his talent and my time.

I would recommend swotting up on Paul McCartney's work with Wings before listening. Otherwise you'll be looking as blank as the entire audience dead for the first 10 minutes.

Neil

Quote from: DeGrise on December 08, 2011, 11:57:44 AM
But the questions were all about showing how well those asking the questions knew the podcast, rather than putting him on the spot about a topic. So, for example, we had "can you do your Jeremy Irons impression?" as the last question. A complete waste of his talent and my time.

Ah, thought it might be something like that.  The Satchel Paige meme reached its nadir in the latest Proopcast, where some bloke stood up and just said the name, waited for audience affirmation that never came, and then moved on to what he actually wanted to say. 

Anyway, can't wait.  Gonna buy the app later on.  I don't know how much bonus content there will actually be, but I definitely want to support these shows.

Little Hoover

I didn't say anything to him sadly, just I enjoyed the show and asked for a photo, I felt like a complete dunce as I couldn't think of any good small talk, and just went into asking for a photo as if I was more interested in getting that, than having any sort of dialogue first.

I think you're being unfair DeGrise. I don't know if I should say it here, but a Cabber asked the question about 'Snooki' which couldn't have been funny but he didn't quite hear it properly and wasn't able to give an answer as he wasn't aware that she was appearing in a three stooges remake or that there was going to be a three stooges remake.

DeGrise

I wasn't counting that question. That question would have been great if Mr. Proops had known about the Three Stooges movie. Which I didn't know about either - thank you for reminding me. I set myself a mental note to look it up when I got home, but was too drunk to remember.

I maybe being harsh, but I'm fairly sure that three of the five questions asked were references to previous podcasts rather than opportunities to expound on a topic. At the time I was irritated. It may turn out that I was unduly irritated.