Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:12:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Replacing a laptop battery

Started by Funcrusher, July 25, 2011, 09:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

The battery on my laptop (cheapo Toshiba Satellite) won't hold any charge at all now, which is tending to make it overheat, so i guess I should look into replacing it. Anyone advise on where to buy and how much I should expect to pay? Is fitting a new battery just a case of clipping it into place?

Blumf

Just a matter of finding your laptop's model number, should be on the base of it somewhere, and googling about. I'd expect about 40-60 quid price wise, maybe more, maybe less.

Benway

On my Toshiba laptop (Equium M-something or other), changing the battery is very simple. On the underside of my laptop, either side of the battery there are two locking tabs. I slide these to the unlock position and simply slide the battery out. I then look at the battery code number written on the battery and then search ebay for a replacement. A new battery should just clip back into place.

This video shows a laptop with the same battery placement as mine: http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/12392/how_to_remove_a_toshiba_laptop_battery.html?cat=15

Edit: I wasn't aware that a crappy battery could cause overheating. Are you sure that the overheating isn't another unrelated problem?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Benway on July 25, 2011, 10:19:08 PM

Edit: I wasn't aware that a crappy battery could cause overheating. Are you sure that the overheating isn't another unrelated problem?

Could be. I have to keep the power suplly plugged in all the time, which I figure isn't ideal. My hard drive is virtually full, I guess that may not help either.

Wilbur

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 25, 2011, 10:29:25 PM
Could be. I have to keep the power suplly plugged in all the time, which I figure isn't ideal. My hard drive is virtually full, I guess that may not help either.

The most likely reason for your laptop overheating is too many processes running and or blocked ventilation. Changing the battery will solve neither of those and will be a waste of £50 unless you want to use it with the battery.

Neville Chamberlain

I had a problem with my laptop overheating when I used to "browse" in bed. Definitely a case of inadequate ventilation.

Blumf

There's a fart joke buried in there but you just won't release it.

Daniel

Quote from: Blumf on July 25, 2011, 10:16:03 PM
Just a matter of finding your laptop's model number, should be on the base of it somewhere, and googling about. I'd expect about 40-60 quid price wise, maybe more, maybe less.