Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:31:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Smartphone gaming

Started by Borboski, July 26, 2011, 02:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borboski

Ok, when mine arrives I was wondering what games I could pop on it.  Looking online it looks like there is a Snes emulator, and DOSBOX, which made me think of:
- Zelda
- X-com
- Civilisation

But are there any other games that come to mind of that ilk that would work really well? 

Or are there any good tactical Final Fantasy Tactics type games that work on Android directly?

Recommendations!!!

mcbpete

SNES RPGs are suited perfectly for android play. I play them on the way to and from work and so far I've played all the way though Chrono Trigger (first time properly, then a brief second time to get one of the other endings), nearly clocked Earthbound, and will soon start Final Fantasy VI. Not needing speedy reactions means the touch screen controls are perfectly adequate.

I accept the terms of the

I installed Zelda on my phone but naturally it's a bit too actiony to be playable.

mcbpete

(Oops, I meant to clarify: SNES turn-based RPGs are suited perfectly for android play)

I was replying to Borboski's suggestion of Zelda. You were clear enough :-)

small_world

I always thought a good strategy game would work great, but so far I haven't found one[nb]Anyone else?[/nb]. Like a Settlers or them par. Maybe even a Total Annihilation or Red Alert.
I suppose the little people and clicky bits are just too small...

rudi

Explain to me please. These aren't just bought directly, then? You're getting them on the phone another way?

Yeah, essentially just downloading the software. Although the emulator itself is probably on the marketplace.

You just dump the ROM files on your phone like you would with your computer. Using DropBox or bluetooth or whatever.

Unless you're using an iPhone, in which case lol no.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: I accept the terms of the on July 27, 2011, 09:50:25 PM
Unless you're using an iPhone, in which case lol no.

Or, alternatively, lol jailbreak.

Uncle TechTip

Arcade games are impossible on a phone. Onscreen controls - no thanks, I like tactile feedback (and not a little shake). They keys on the Desire Z are too small to use. The only games I've found to be playable are Speccy football management games, or anything which requires text input. I foresee a boom in adventure games.