Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A question about the Mayo and Kermode podcasts

Started by Jumble Cashback, July 28, 2011, 10:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumble Cashback

I'm currently very much enjoying dowloading the Wittertainment podcasts from the BBC's website, but they're archive only ever stretches back about a year.  Anyone know how I can download the older ones (preferably legitimately)?

Santa's Boyfriend

Famous Mortimer

If you just want the reviews, then lots of them are on Youtube....also, I think th*b*x might have a few year packs.

Santa's Boyfriend

Jumble Cashback

Just realised I made a stupid mistake - they don't have a year's worth, they have about twelve week's worth.  A year would be about 52 shows so that would be okay.  I'm sure you can get hold of them from somewhere, just not sure where/how.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Jumble Cashback on July 29, 2011, 10:30:30 PM
Just realised I made a stupid mistake - they don't have a year's worth, they have about twelve week's worth.  A year would be about 52 shows so that would be okay.  I'm sure you can get hold of them from somewhere, just not sure where/how.

Nah, you were right, there are more than than twelve weeks on there:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/kermode/all

As for going further back, I imagine a torrent may be your only hope.

Sam

I used to love Mayo and Kermode, but I find my enthusiasm waning. This largely due to the amount of in-jokes, parish notices and smug celebrity name-dropping. Also, they just review far too many films some weeks, so you don't end up with a proper review of anything. Kermode has a few stock phrases and sentence constructions which are getting tiresome.

Can I recommend instead the ludicrously better "The Film Talk" with Jett Loe and Gareth Higgins. Occassionally Simon and Mark veer into proper ciriticsm or talk interestingly about something for perhaps 5 minutes out of two hours. In TFT they just do this the whole way through. They are extremely perceptive and have a lot of insider knowledge and far more knowledge of the craft, grammar, and magic of movies than Kermode. Their reviews of bad films are far more devastating than Kermode's, largely because they avoid grandstanding and the same catchphrases. Also they touch on philosophical/political/theological-spiritual points which are far deeper than anything Kermode is capable of. Overall it's many times funnier and infinitely more insightful.

I really can't recommend that podcast enough, it was after listening to it for a few episodes that I realised what fluff the 5 live podcast is.

Famous Mortimer

I've never bothered listening to the entire 2-hour show, but...er...I'm sure there's a good reason they don't have the entire programme be high-level criticism. It would cut into the road traffic information, or something.

Anyway, I'll give that a go, Sam. I recommend "Ebert Presents At The Movies", available from http://www.ebertpresents.com/ - not the most indepth review show, but they often have cool features on long-forgotten films or do entire shows round a certain theme (as they did with 3D a couple of weeks ago).

rudi

Quote from: Sam on July 31, 2011, 08:35:10 AM
I used to love Mayo and Kermode, but I find my enthusiasm waning. This largely due to the amount of in-jokes, parish notices and smug celebrity name-dropping. Also, they just review far too many films some weeks, so you don't end up with a proper review of anything. Kermode has a few stock phrases and sentence constructions which are getting tiresome.

Yup, I went from being an avid fan to actively avoiding the show now (more difficult than you'd think when you're in a traffic jam at 3pm on a Friday afternoon and Paul Hawksbee's on yet another holiday).

QuoteCan I recommend instead the ludicrously better "The Film Talk" with Jett Loe and Gareth Higgins.

You can; I shall be trying it, thanks mush.

Famous Mortimer

Looks like "Ebert Presents At The Movies" is on summer hiatus, but they're reshowing old "classic" episodes. There's one showing at the moment from 1980 where they try and explain their jobs as film critics and give an insight into how they come up with their reviews, and it's pretty interesting: http://www.ebertpresents.com/movies/the-black-marble/videos/261

Custard

Quote from: Sam on July 31, 2011, 08:35:10 AM
Can I recommend instead the ludicrously better "The Film Talk" with Jett Loe and Gareth Higgins. Occassionally Simon and Mark veer into proper ciriticsm or talk interestingly about something for perhaps 5 minutes out of two hours. In TFT they just do this the whole way through. They are extremely perceptive and have a lot of insider knowledge and far more knowledge of the craft, grammar, and magic of movies than Kermode. Their reviews of bad films are far more devastating than Kermode's, largely because they avoid grandstanding and the same catchphrases. Also they touch on philosophical/political/theological-spiritual points which are far deeper than anything Kermode is capable of. Overall it's many times funnier and infinitely more insightful.

I really can't recommend that podcast enough, it was after listening to it for a few episodes that I realised what fluff the 5 live podcast is.

Cheers for this. Just started listening to the Thor review one, and it's already much more enjoyable than bloody Kermode.

I'd also recommend the /Film, and Filmspotting podcasts. I gave up on Mayo/Kermode the moment I started downloading them two a few months back

dr beat

Aren't Floyd, Boyd and Colin Patterson doing an extended fill-in for Mayo and Kermode? I've actually grown to much prefer those three, as they simply get on with the business of talking about film and there's none of the tedious in-jokes.  Plus I think the two-reviewer format works pretty well.

Famous Mortimer

Well, Sam, I'm not saying you're wrong but I picked an episode with a couple of films I'd already seen, to ease me into their reviewing style, and I disagreed with pretty much everything they said. "Battle: Los Angeles" and "Limitless" were the films in question, and their praise for the former was baffling. It was a great and clever film with a lot to say, apparently. I couldn't fathom if they were aiming for some sort of Armond White-style trolling of their typical listenership; or if they're just hardcore post-modernists who find subtext in films where there is none, for a laugh.

Of course, if they genuinely liked it as much as they claim I'm not sure my relationship with their podcast is going to be a long one.

Consignia

I like Floyd and Boyd, not better than Kermode for me but enjoyable and do interesting reviews. However, I don't care much for Colin Paterson. I think he's a bit too showbiz reportery which filters from his day job.

Sam

Mortimer:

I can see what you mean. For me, one of the interesting things about TFT is that they praise films a lot of people slate and vice versa. I can always tell exactly what Kermode and most other reviewers will think of a film, but it's much more unpredicatable with TFT. They recently released an archived review of Quantom of Solace: I was expecting them to slate it but actually they made me totally rethink the film which was a genuine pleasant surprise.

I would suggest getting some of the archived episodes. There's some great interviews. For example, Francis Coppola. One of the best interviews I've ever heard, they don't even mention The Godfather once, avoid all lazy questions and just get right into the craft. Their interview with Elliot Gould is nice too.

Try listening to their reviews of The Tree of Life, Transformers 3 etc.

The reason I listen to TFT is that some people at work always recommended it to me. I tried a few episodes and was sceptical, largely because I found Jett Loe's mannerisms a little grating and Higgin's a little too earnest. However, after sticking with it I am totally in love with the show and their reviewing style.

Grab a smattering of episodes from the last year, maybe 5 or so, choosing a mix of films (blockbusters, recent art house, classic hollywood, interviews) and then re-evaluate.

Famous Mortimer

I've listened to a few more since then and I think I'm just about on board. If I was super-wealthy I think I'd go for the top level of subscription and get them to review a "Carry On" film...I'll stick with it, though.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Shameless on August 14, 2011, 12:47:05 PM
I'd also recommend the /Film, and Filmspotting podcasts.

I second this. Although in the case if the /Filmcast I only listen to the episodes where I've seen the film being reviewed, or have no intention of seeing it, as they contain always contain a spoiler section which I end up wanting to hear.

Famous Mortimer

I think the Youtube clips are the ideal way to get the Kermode / Mayo stuff - just the reviews, none of the filler or any of that. And if you subscribe to their channel you also get the video podcasts he does, which are interesting.

I've still yet to find my ideal film review podcast, I fear, although the Film Talk is still decent.

Custard

I like The Film Talk, but find the american fella pretty grating at times. What frustrates me, is that yer irish fella is going off into an interesting viewpoint, and every single time american fella cuts him off with a really unfunny, annoying attempt at a joke.

Seriously, listen out for it. Every. Single. Time. I nearly screamed at my iPod the other day, because of it. I wouldn't mind so much if I ever found him funny, but I don't. I really don't.

So erm, yeah, take out the american one ASAP.

Apart from that, 'tis good ;)

I think my favourite has to be /Film, as least they stick to the films at hand and cut back on the comedy act. One of them fellas has the geekiest voice ever, mind.

Yours sincerley,

H. Ard ToPlease

3-d lobster

I'll throw in the movielicious. Now, this will not be for everyone but i do find it enjoyable if not informative.

It is presented by three WOW podcasters, who then set up a movie podcast. They review 2-3 movies most of the time they haven't even seen the movies, then they recommend some DVD's to rent. They generally tend to have three very different opinions on the films and that it what I find most enjoyable. Plus it has the best podcast theme music, ever!

Again I'm not recommending this as critiquing podcast, I just find it enjoyable.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Shameless on September 05, 2011, 09:51:18 PM

I think my favourite has to be /Film, as least they stick to the films at hand and cut back on the comedy act. One of them fellas has the geekiest voice ever, mind.

They can be quite good. If the geeky voice is that David Chen fella, he is incredibly infuriating and seems to have a hatred/inability to process twists or even the most obvious plot points. Their Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes podcast was particularly eye-rolling.

Harpo Speaks

When I first started listening to them, all I could think of when I heard Adam Quigley's voice was the developmentally disabled cop character from Family Guy.

Quoteseems to have a hatred/inability to process twists

There was a great one recently where
Spoiler alert
The Book of Eli
[close]
came up, and Chen had somehow managed to miss the fact that
Spoiler alert
Eli is revealed to be blind
[close]
, much to the amusement of everyone else.

Famous Mortimer

I'm just reading "Your Movie Sucks" by Roger Ebert, a collection of his reviews for films he really didn't like, and it's a bit of a masterclass in only using vitriol when it's worth it. He's a smart fella too, and the first chapter consists of his extended interactions with people like Rob Schneider (Duece Bigalow 2), Vincent Gallo (over The Brown Bunny) and the makers of a truly pitiful horror film whose name already escapes me.

Anyway, "Ebert Presents At The Movies" is back, and free to watch via the website. I think it's absolutely brilliant, even if I do occasionally disagree with the views of the hosts (and Roger).