Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good crikey!

Started by Sam, June 04, 2004, 06:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Just bought Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" and Jeff Buckley's "Grace". One spin of each and I'm in love! Sweet Jesus, Buckley had a some vocal chords. What a voice!

Can't belief it's taken me this long to acquire these jems.

Thanks to those who've mentioned those two artists on here, spurring me to check them out.

Right, time to put on "Lilac Wine" on again. :)

Yeah, Grace is lovely. Now go and get Sketches for My Sweetheart The Drunk (an album Buckley finished before his death, but scrapped it, and home demos of new songs intended for a new album) and Olympia, a really smashing live recording. You won't regret it.

I think the best song on Grace is actually "Grace". The scream Buckley does at the end of the song is pure magic. Live, he was very different, much rawer. "Eternal Life" done live is basically heavy metal.

Sam

Ok, I'm on my second play-through of "Grace" and it's probably one of the best albums I have ever heard. In my CD collection of hundreds, this has to be right up in the top 10. I'm definitely gonna get "Sketches..." Are the live albums and EPs worth getting?

Some, but not all. I'd give the original Live at Sine EP a miss, and Songs To No-One (early demos and stuff), and the Grace EPs boxset.

Get Sketches, Mystery White Boy and Olympia, and the expanded, 2 disc version of Sine. Those and Grace are the essentials are I reckon.

TraceyQ

Ah, Sam... you are learning.

Grace is my favourite album evah! It all fits together so fluidly, it was made with love and feeling and that shines through. Now. Jeff Buckley had a famous Daddy.  His name was Tim. Tim and Jeff didn't know each other due to Tim fucking off when little Scotty (Jeff) was an infant. You need to get Tim Buckley's "Anthology" and give it time, it will take you a few more listens than "Grace" did but once he's got you you will not let go.

<buggers off to play "Hong Kong Bar">

Sam

Quote from: "TraceyQ"Ah, Sam... you are learning.

Buckley's voice and emotion are the most impressive I've heard in AGES. However, he is second to Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation. Might I suggest you acquire "Remedy Lane" and/or "The Perfect Element"? Go to amazon and read some reviews.

"Remedy Lane" (an autobiographical album) is the single most heart-felt, sincere, relevant, cohesive, perfect, gorgeous album in existence. If anyone can suggest something that is "better", I'd love to hear it. "Grace" is second and that is impressive considering I've heard it twice. Who knows....maybe it'll go to the top. All I know is that in my continous search for emotional music, Pain of Salvation have satisfied me the most deeply so far.

Right, rant over, time to put "Grace" on  again. :)