Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology

Started by HappyTree, August 04, 2011, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4
Uploaded by EuclideonOfficial on  1 Aug 2011

Hi everyone. We've been working very hard and we hope you like what we've made. This is just our 1 year report, after which we will probably go quiet again while we finish our work. This demo only shows what was ready at the time, we have a lot of really good stuff here but we are keeping it secret for now. (Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)

It's been a busy year, and all is going very well; we only have 9 people working here, but will be hiring a few more soon. We also have another piece of technology that isn't graphics, but does something game related that's also pretty clever, but we'll keep that secret for now.

We get a lot of fan mail from Germany and Brazil so I thought I'd put a link to the transcript of the video underneath just in case my accent is hard to understand.

I'd like to thank you all for your emails and kind support.

Kindest Regards, Bruce Robert Dell -- CEO Euclideon.

http://www.euclideon.com
info@euclideon.com

Transcript: http://www.euclideon.com/transcripts.html

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

CaledonianGonzo

Happy Tree has seemed a little less hippy-ish of late.....

Still Not George

Yes, voxel graphics is really impressive if all you want to do is repeat the same object over and over and over and over and over again. You'll note that happening a lot on that video. It's also incredibly fucking useless for animating things.

But then, I said this last time they showed up trying to sell this stuff, and no-one listened to me then. (Not on here, mind, but elsewhere I got accusations of "bias" and having "bought into the industry mindset" and all kinds of other things like that for having had the gall to point out the obvious flaws.)

So here's Minecraft's Notch explaining the same thing:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

I accept the terms of the

"Little atoms"? "Point cloud data"? You mean voxels, Ken Korder. And nobody believes that your engine doesn't have massive impracticalities.

Still Not George

Actually, point clouds are a different and comparatively useful technology, especially at allowing you to shift between voxel and polygonal rendering nice and easily without having to marching-cubes everything in sight (which is horribly expensive). It's just not really what they're showing in that video.

Big Jack McBastard

Wasn't there a thread about this a little while back? With an incredibly similar video?

If they've made so much progress let's see anything moving in one of their worlds besides the camera.

HappyTree

It does sound too good to be true. I distrust it simply from the overbearing voiceover. But it is interesting nonetheless.

Still Not George

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on August 04, 2011, 05:23:53 PM
Wasn't there a thread about this a little while back? With an incredibly similar video?

If they've made so much progress let's see anything moving in one of their worlds besides the camera.

This guy seems to have gotten somewhere. It's seriously impressive work, although it seems to run like a dog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkn6ubbp1SE

Big Jack McBastard

Wow that gray background blew my mind!

I'm not opposed to the idea of them somehow integrating this sort of thing into environments, perhaps a blend of it/polygons but it seems like it's going to be a pig to get going and they're doing themselves no favours drip feeding iffy videos to Youtube with nothing 'tangible' for folk to work with.

Mary is not amused

What ever happened to Elixir Studios' 'Infinite Polygon Engine' from years back?

I accept the terms of the

It unfolded into reality and we're all living it now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Never trust a man who sounds remotely like Fraser Nelson.

I think even if you weren't an expert on computer games you could smell the salesmanship and bullshit coming off that.

However, I did find it interesting and informative.

biggytitbo

Their examples aren't very good. I've seen better graphics come out of my arse.

Subtle Mocking

Just one example? Christ.

Geldof didn't sell this one very well for me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 07, 2011, 07:00:13 PM
Their examples aren't very good. I've seen better graphics come out of my arse.

The rocks looked like the best- and they were scanned in.

The long shots of that island looked like a late 90s console shooter, but it got reasonable-looking close-in.

Still Not George

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 07, 2011, 07:10:17 PMThe long shots of that island looked like a late 90s console shooter, but it got reasonable-looking close-in.
Mainly cos voxel engines try to avoid texturing. But polygonal texturing has had decades of development in the field of filtering, mapping levels, and generally dealing with the visual problems caused by information level shifts.

Shuggie

But it wasnt LOD that makes it look like a 90's game but the fact that the map was constructed out of square tiles, they claim its because they have limited artists/art assets and the naysayers argue its due to fundamental issues with the engine and it can only show that size of environment when most of the map is instanced from a small number of tiles.

Having seen the second video with the interviewer taking the controls I've no doubt that this thing is real insofar as it works with a limited number of assets, now whether it will work with something on that scale filled with unique art that seems less possible.

But as far as I can see I think this is a step forward as I havent seen any voxel engines display this much information in real time so hes definately doing something differently. Even if the instancing/animation issues are solved theres still the matter of the horrible lighting, the lack of collision detection, material shaders (everything is matt in the demo), post processing effects like motion blur and DOF, particle effects/systems etc etc and thats just on the graphics side if they're going to turn this into a game engine rather than just a graphics engine then theres a whole mountain of work they need to do.