Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:20:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Prometheus

Started by mobias, August 06, 2011, 10:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obel

Yeah I couldn't believe that Red Letter Media were so generous to it. I figured they got caught up in the spectacle or something.

Jemble Fred

Saw this at the weekend, having paid no attention to this thread at any stage, and it was fine.

The only Alien film you ever need is the very first one, but on its own merits, Prometheus was a bit of glossy fun. Star Trek meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with some genuinely arresting visuals and a better cast than the whole concept really deserved. But a bit of a laugh anyway.

Borboski

Quote from: Obel on December 10, 2012, 11:53:36 AM
Yeah I couldn't believe that Red Letter Media were so generous to it. I figured they got caught up in the spectacle or something.

They still slate it, really, don't they - pointing out all the plot inconsistencies.  My friend saw it in the cinema and came out defending it slightly, saying that he enjoyed watching it, praising it for raising some questions.  Then he watched it again and almost immediately changed his mind. 

It is a very silly film - anyone who doesn't like sci-fi films with monsters running around certainly shouldn't watch it. Whereas 2001, Moon, etc are interesting and watchable films.  Sunshine is a good comparison as the plot is extremely simple - spaceship, crew, mission, nutty man; but it holds your attention and I don't remember watching it thinking "Ohhhh FOR FUCKS SAKE" which was my impression throughout the whole of Prometheus.  Hell, I've slagged off Event Horizon in the past but I watched that a month ago and thorough enjoyed it.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: phes on December 08, 2012, 05:50:43 PM
surprised to hear red letter media give it a balanced and very generous revie

To be fair, quite a few mainstream sources whose opinions I generally respect and agree with said it was good. I think quite a lot of the goodwill stemmed from the fact that it wasn't quite as irredeemably shit a prequel as Phantom Menace, or took such a long, spattering piss on the Alien legacy as AVP. I guess if you went into the cinema expecting it to be one of the worst films of all time, you'd think it was pretty decent. Entering the cinema expecting something pretty decent probably has the opposite effect.

Lord Mandrake

Sunshine had all kinds of potential but the third act was risibe, like they ran out of ideas, money and time... We know Prometheus is the beginning of a trilogy yet it reached a coherent conclusion and thankfully killed off the worst of the ham.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on December 10, 2012, 02:56:47 PM
Sunshine had all kinds of potential but the third act was risibe, like they ran out of ideas, money and time...

Yeah, totally agree. The second it became a space slasher I totally lost interest and it just seemed to lose all sense of itself.

We know Prometheus is the beginning of a trilogy

We know now, now that it's become a raging success, that it's going to be a trilogy.

yet it reached a coherent conclusion

Really?!

mobias

Prometheus is the beginning of a trilogy yet it reached a coherent conclusion

LOL!

Noodle Lizard

Dad was watching it on the TV earlier.  Walked in just as the hologram of a prosthetic geezer Guy Pearce was giving a rousing speech.  Fucking shit.

Custard

Quote from: mobias on December 10, 2012, 03:25:51 PM
LOL!

My mind is genuinely boggling at that comment. What coherent conclusion?

Pepotamo1985

Lindelof has confirmed he 100% won't be involved in Paradise. Hopefully Scott will bugger off too, or at least someone will call him on his shit next time - having watched all the twatty extras on the mega-edition super release blah blah it's abundantly clear that those two working in conjunction is a recipe for pretentious bollocks.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I've just got round to seeing it. I think it's ok.

By which I mean:

1. yes there is a lot of illogical cobblers in the first 30 minutes, but that's pretty much par for the course in current Hollywood SF. At least it doesn't get as bad as, dunno, some films that are worse, can't remember an example right now.

2. the rest wasn't the disaster area I'd imagined from reports. I actually came around to being glad that the original Spaits script got changed around to this one. The "same universe, different scenario" idea makes sense and doesn't damage Alien itself in any way.

3. I wouldn't mind seeing the sequel actually.

SteveDave

I saw Ridley Scott in Soho today.

That is all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Did you deck the cunt?

Would've been polite.

SteveDave

Lamentably no but it seemed the stars were out in central London today as I saw him, Sally Phillips & the unintelligible policeman from Hot Fuzz within an hour.

Also yesterday I thought I saw Kurt Vonnegut at Holborn Station until I remembered that he was dead.